• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Great timeshares in VA or NY

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
I am in central PA. Looking for ideas of timeshares in the mountains, on a lake would be preferable. Interested in hiking, boating/fishing, and someplace the kid won't be bored. Closeness to attractions (within 30-45 min drive max) would be an added plus. Something that can be traded on RCI or II for other vacations on years we wouldn't be there.

I did find Massenutten and Massenuten Mountainside Villas. And I was looking at Cresthaven Lodges on Lake George....do any of these also run a point system, or do you have to pay to convert/trade?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...just so I can look into them. And if you have any ideas within 6 hrs from central PA I'll take them too. Thanks!!

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
I use to own at Mountainside Villas at Massanutten and was very happy with it. They are the only independent owners association at Massanutten and were the first units built there. Their Maintenance fees are one of the lowest I had seen but they maintained the property very well. They are also the only ones to allow membership in II as well as RCI. The reason I sold my week was that I could find cheap week sales through RCI than the Maintenance fee was and I was only paying $400 a month in 2011 when I sold it. I think the MF now is $495.
These are huge townhouse type units and have a lot of character although they are somewhat dated. I don't know if they offer RCI points now or not, they didn't when I owned there. The newer developments in Massanutten do offer points now but don't pay to convert, it's a lot cheaper to buy with points already attached.
Right now I see 96 weeks available through an RCI $199 sale between Oct. 15 - April 2018. Massanutten seems to always have a lot of inventory although finding something when school is out is hard but still can be had as a Last Call.
upload_2017-10-12_8-30-36.png

Attachments

• Massanutten.png
    Massanutten.png
    219 KB · Views: 37

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Peek N' Peak in far SW NY is very nice but out in nowhere land. Some people love Villa Roma in the NY Catskills and others like the Berkshires in SW Massachussets. Lake Placid, NY was OK, but they say the downtown resort isn't much. But, based on what you would like, I would suggest going a bit father to NH- specifically Pollard Brook or South Mountain in Lincoln- Mountains galore, hiking, fishing and attractions that can keep you going for a few weeks. I've spent 20 or so weeks in the White Mountains and still want to go back.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Peek N' Peak in far SW NY is very nice but out in nowhere land. Some people love Villa Roma in the NY Catskills and others like the Berkshires in SW Massachussets. Lake Placid, NY was OK, but they say the downtown resort isn't much. But, based on what you would like, I would suggest going a bit father to NH- specifically Pollard Brook or South Mountain in Lincoln- Mountains galore, hiking, fishing and attractions that can keep you going for a few weeks. I've spent 20 or so weeks in the White Mountains and still want to go back.

Us too! We love our New Hampshire ownership at Pollard Brook and also our Vermont one at Smuggs.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Massenutten Resort complex is the very best resort in Virginia with mountain views and a host of activities for adults and children (indoor waterparks, a huge indoor & outdoor pools, skiing, basketball, golf, hiking, racquetball, fishing a huge game room) and much more are onsite.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in also with a vote for Massanutten. There's lots to do at the resort and plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding areas. Shenandoah National Park is close-by. It's definitely a four-seasons resort. They have many planned activities. We always loved the Mountainside Villas for the size of the units and the jacuzzi room. However, the other sections of the complex offer lock-outs. Lock-outs can provide more vacation options. Use both sides and bring friends or family. Use one side and exchange the other side. Exchange both sides for two vacations elsewhere. Use one side and rent the other side to cover most of the maintenance fee.