• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Great Smokies Lodge

liquidmas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be going to GSL. Does Wyndham require an owner update to get permission to use water parks? The Wilderness guests get to use water park as part of their stay.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, going to GSL does not get you waterpark use rights. If it is done in connection with a sales presentation, you might want to call resort sales at GSL.

Depending on when you go, at 14 days or less, book a 1 day reservation at the waterpark location before or after you reservation date at GSL.

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be going to GSL. Does Wyndham require an owner update to get permission to use water parks? The Wilderness guests get to use water park as part of their stay.
No, there is no requirement for you to attend a presentation for water park access...every guest (up to your room limits) gets an armband.

Honestly, you don't even need to get a parking pass there...they are there only to try to get you to sign up for the presentation.

Last time we were there we politely said no and the guy gave us our parking pass, some discount books, and was very pleasant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, going to GSL does not get you waterpark use rights. If it is done in connection with a sales presentation, you might want to call resort sales at GSL.

Sorry, Robert, but you are mistaken. Great Smokies Lodge (GSL) is the property with the Wilderness water parks. Therefore, at check in the guests will receive passes for the water parks.

Perhaps you were thinking of the other resort Wyndham Smoky Mountain (WSM). That resort has no access to water parks.

It’s pretty obvious on Wyndham website, don’t even need to call in. Just double check the source material. Kind of like my grandfather used to say, “measure twice, cut once.” Check twice before posting once. If in doubt, don’t mislead with an errant post. Others will know and post if you pass.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't do the update. That is all I have to say about updates and GSL. :(

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

You will get the same number of waterpark passes as the maximum occupancy for your unit. You cannot buy extra waterpark passes. You don't have to attend a presentation and from the stories we've heard here on TUG about the presentations at this resort I strongly suggest you don't go no matter what incentives they offer unless you have a very high threshold for lies and aggravation. You can arrive as early as 11:30am I think it is (check with the resort as I could be off by half an hour either way), and pre-register to get your waterpark passes so you can use the waterparks before your unit is ready. On the day of check out you can also use the waterparks for the entire day even though you have to be checked out of your unit by 10am. Not sure about this Wilderness location but I believe there are locker rooms with showers you can use before and after you are in your unit.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will get the same number of waterpark passes as the maximum occupancy for your unit. You cannot buy extra waterpark passes. You don't have to attend a presentation and from the stories we've heard here on TUG about the presentations at this resort I strongly suggest you don't go no matter what incentives they offer unless you have a very high threshold for lies and aggravation. You can arrive as early as 11:30am I think it is (check with the resort as I could be off by half an hour either way), and pre-register to get your waterpark passes so you can use the waterparks before your unit is ready. On the day of check out you can also use the waterparks for the entire day even though you have to be checked out of your unit by 10am. Not sure about this Wilderness location but I believe there are locker rooms with showers you can use before and after you are in your unit.

I've seen passes for sale on the Wilderness website for $29 per day. I've also heard that they are gifting passes at the other Smoky Mountain resort. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready. I didn't get a call until 4:30pm. When I went back to the desk, the representative said, "Well, that isn't too bad." I was actually thinking that it wasn't too good. lol

liquidmas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Aalways best to ask and get the truth from those that have experienced the resort. Did not want to assume and be disappointed. No desire for an owner update.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Aalways best to ask and get the truth from those that have experienced the resort. Did not want to assume and be disappointed. No desire for an owner update.
You’ll get great information here if you just ignore the first respondent to your question now and in the future. He has a habit of always trying to respond first and often gives confusing misleading advice that we consider muddying the waters.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
You’ll get great information here if you just ignore the first respondent to your question now and in the future. He has a habit of always trying to respond first and often gives confusing misleading advice that we consider muddying the waters.

I guess he thinks that if you start a post with, "To my knowledge, . . ." that relieves you of any responsibility for accuracy.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We want to visit Asheville and Chimney Rock, NC and this seen to be an ideal vacation spot.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Great Smokies Lodge is a terrific resort. It's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours drive to Asheville though, longer when the western NC gorge is busy or on a Friday or Sunday coming in to Asheville. From Asheville, it's another 30-45 minutes further to reach Chimney Rock/Lake Lure. If you are able to manage an overnight or two, you'd enjoy the NC visit more.

Asheville certainly has enough to do and see to make this worthwhile. Biltmore Estate is a full day. Historic Biltmore Village, Grove Park Inn, the downtown Grove Arcade and restaurant district, Blue Ridge Parkway's Folk Art Center, the River Arts District, tubing or kayaking on the French Broad River, the Arboretum, all the Blue Ridge Parkway overlooks and hiking trails... then there's Chimney Rock State Park, Lake Lure area boating, ziplines, golf, crafts shopping... if you come in the fall (mid-August through early November), you may stop at one of the many Apple Orchards along the way through Hendersonville for produce, cider, pumpkin spice donuts, a corn maze or a wagon ride. Labor Day weekend, H'ville hosts an annual Apple Festival with food, crafts, live music on Main Street. Just sayin'... :)

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Smokies Lodge is a terrific resort. It's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours drive to Asheville though, longer when the western NC gorge is busy or on a Friday or Sunday coming in to Asheville. From Asheville, it's another 30-45 minutes further to reach Chimney Rock/Lake Lure. If you are able to manage an overnight or two, you'd enjoy the NC visit more.

Asheville certainly has enough to do and see to make this worthwhile. Biltmore Estate is a full day. Historic Biltmore Village, Grove Park Inn, the downtown Grove Arcade and restaurant district, Blue Ridge Parkway's Folk Art Center, the River Arts District, tubing or kayaking on the French Broad River, the Arboretum, all the Blue Ridge Parkway overlooks and hiking trails... then there's Chimney Rock State Park, Lake Lure area boating, ziplines, golf, crafts shopping... if you come in the fall (mid-August through early November), you may stop at one of the many Apple Orchards along the way through Hendersonville for produce, cider, pumpkin spice donuts, a corn maze or a wagon ride. Labor Day weekend, H'ville hosts an annual Apple Festival with food, crafts, live music on Main Street. Just sayin'... :)
We have booked a 2 bedroom with loft unit at Lake Lure this year for Thanksgiving. We're trying out resorts we've not yet stayed in. The proximity to Asheville is one reason we want to try this one out. We love Biltmore and everything else to do there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk