• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Great deal on stay at West57

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Denise L Interesting to hear about the retractable roof. Are you saying that they are removing the retractable awning that was there previously and replacing with a sun-room type structure? If so it sounds major, but would make this space available during more inclement weather.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
For the 10-trip card, does it expire? And can one card be used for rides for multiple people? Although if it doesn't expire, we may get several before the price increase.

Edit: OK, seems that they're good for 6 months from date of first use. We're going late October and mid April, so that's 2 trips x 2 people x 2 ways = 8 uses. So that is still $25 versus $40 even though we won't use 2.

And, since they don't begin to expire until first use, seems a good idea to buy several now at current price and use as needed.

Cheers.

You beat me to replying, but let me add this. I read this here https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train: "If you are a frequent user of AirTrain, more economical options are available. From the MetroCard machines at Jamaica and Howard Beach, you can purchase a 10-ride card for $25.00 USD, which expires 365 days after its first use or a 30-day unlimited MetroCard, which is available for $40.00 USD and lasts for 30 days after its first use."

I also am aware of some sites saying that the cards are good for six months, so I suppose that our results may vary (and I have no clue if jfkairport.com is a legitimate site), but I agree that it's so inexpensive, that even if you only use it a few times, the $25 cost will be more than used up. And you can use the 10-trip card for up to four people at a time, and then you have to wait 18 minutes to swipe again for more people, ha ha.

Note that I haven't been able to figure out how to ADD an AirTrain 10-trip option to an existing AirTrain MetroCard or regular MetroCard. I have only been able to purchase a new AirTrain 10-trip MetroCard for $25 plus the $1 fee for a new card, so $26 total. I have quite a few empty and useless AirTrain MetroCards now, so if anyone has any idea what to do with them, let me know. I haven't been able to figure out how to add a 7-day Subway pass to those AirTrain MetroCards, so I keep a regular MetroCard for subway travel only.

I have only tried to buy the AirTrain 10-trip card from the actual AirTrain kiosks on either side of the turnstiles. You have to select New MetroCard, then AirTrain 10-trip.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Denise L Interesting to hear about the retractable roof. Are you saying that they are removing the retractable awning that was there previously and replacing with a sun-room type structure? If so it sounds major, but would make this space available during more inclement weather.

Hi @CalGalTraveler! From what information I was able to gather, they are renovating it so that we can sit out there all year long, so a sun-room type structure sounds like what it will be. They said "fully enclosed" and then I asked about air and the sky during nice weather and they said it would be open to the sky. They said that they are replacing all the furniture, too. There was a lot of noise after breakfast hours were over...jackhammering, lots of construction materials being wheeled in. Apparently, the patio was only closed 3-4 days before my arrival on 9/19. We had great weather during my stay, so I was a little disappointed to not be sitting outside, but they assured me that it would be worth the wait.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You beat me to replying, but let me add this. I read this here https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train: "If you are a frequent user of AirTrain, more economical options are available. From the MetroCard machines at Jamaica and Howard Beach, you can purchase a 10-ride card for $25.00 USD, which expires 365 days after its first use or a 30-day unlimited MetroCard, which is available for $40.00 USD and lasts for 30 days after its first use.".

Thanks. The six months comes from the MTA site, so I'm pretty sure that's definitive. I also found a 365-day, but that was a 5-year-old post. Like it was 365 and had changed.

Cheers.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. The six months comes from the MTA site, so I'm pretty sure that's definitive. I also found a 365-day, but that was a 5-year-old post. Like it was 365 and had changed.

Cheers.

If I buy an extra card for $25, I suppose I will have to wonder what will happen if the MetroCard expires before I use up the 10 trips.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I buy an extra card for $25, I suppose I will have to wonder what will happen if the MetroCard expires before I use up the 10 trips.

If it expires, you won't be able to use the rest. I think that's very likely the case. However, if it does go up to $7.75, you only need to use 4 of the 10 trips to come out ahead.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hi @CalGalTraveler! From what information I was able to gather, they are renovating it so that we can sit out there all year long, so a sun-room type structure sounds like what it will be. They said "fully enclosed" and then I asked about air and the sky during nice weather and they said it would be open to the sky. They said that they are replacing all the furniture, too. There was a lot of noise after breakfast hours were over...jackhammering, lots of construction materials being wheeled in. Apparently, the patio was only closed 3-4 days before my arrival on 9/19. We had great weather during my stay, so I was a little disappointed to not be sitting outside, but they assured me that it would be worth the wait.

Sounds great. I am glad to see them using our MF for items that benefit our experience. Now if only they would add a washer and dryer room for those longer stays...

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If it expires, you won't be able to use the rest. I think that's very likely the case. However, if it does go up to $7.75, you only need to use 4 of the 10 trips to come out ahead.

Cheers.

It definitely seems like it's hard to lose any money buying the $25 card.

This is how I used my first 10-trip card: March 18 (first use), April (2), May (4), September (3, last use was September 19). So that lasted technically 6 months and 1 day.

I just bought a new 10-trip card this month, and first use was September 23. I plan to use it again in October (2), December (2) and March (2) before 6 months have passed, so I think I will buy at least one more to use for most of 2020. If my calculations are correct, the actual card expiration is 16 months from the month in which it was purchased.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If my calculations are correct, the actual card expiration is 16 months from the month in which it was purchased.

I see, so there is an expiration of the card even if not used. I know that the older-style yellow Metrocards have an expiration as well, so this makes sense since this is the same media.

Cheers.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see, so there is an expiration of the card even if not used. I know that the older-style yellow Metrocards have an expiration as well, so this makes sense since this is the same media.

Cheers.

I've been able to get a new MetroCard before mine expires, so I wonder if the AirTrain MetroCard can also be replaced if there are still trips on it that haven't expired yet. Maybe I will email the Port Authority or MTA and see if anyone can answer that question.