• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GrandView "Bonus Weeks" ?

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not currently looking to buy a timeshare, I am still waiting for a Wyndham resell to close but I have been window shopping. Hopefully once that closes I will decide if I want to get more timeshares.

I have a question though...I know GrandView Las Vegas has some of the best MFs out there if looking to covert to RCI. I ran across this listing on eBay and I am confused what they mean by the 4 Bonus Weeks. I emailed the seller and they responded with "Bonus weeks are attached to the ownership without using your ownership. You tell the resort to deposit them and you can use them with up to 6 or 8 weeks notice for just the booking fee. It's a lower price and more option than RCI last minute, call trips." Maybe I am just too new to RCI to understand what they are talking about.

I am sure it will sell soon and I won't be purchasing it but figured it would be good knowledge for the future. Appreciate the education.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
I also own a resale from the Grandview at Las Vegas.... someone else may clarify this but since it's a resale I don't think you get those weeks... those only go to the original buyer.... but I do get a free week through Grand View and only have to pay a smaller fee through RCI..... Dave

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own a resale from the Grandview at Las Vegas.... someone else may clarify this but since it's a resale I don't think you get those weeks... those only go to the original buyer.... but I do get a free week through Grand View and only have to pay a smaller fee through RCI..... Dave

Humm really good to know. So Grandview gives you one week on top of your points/weeks? That could be interesting.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Don't get too excited. Vacation Village Affiliate bonus certs are good 45 days or less from check in. They will also only match to a week that is worth 9-11 or less on the weeks tpu side. It costs a regular full exchange fee to use which is currently $230. You can not put a guest cert on the week, they are for personal use only. They are only supposed to come with developer purchases but usually at least one bonus week transfers with each VV affiliate resort- or at least I get one from Massanutten, one from Grandview, and one from VV at Parkway. Three a year for me and I haven't used one yet. If they don't transfer upon resale you can't complain because they aren't deed rights or contractually guaranteed to resale owners.

It is very similar inventory to Last Calls which are regularly priced at $230-$294 depending on size of the unit. RCI regularly has sales for this inventory that may make it less than $230 per week. So If you do a lot of last minute bookings it may save you up to $60 off regular price rentals or not depending on current RCI promotions.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't get too excited. Vacation Village Affiliate bonus certs are good 45 days or less from check in. They will also only match to a week that is worth 9-11 or less on the weeks tpu side. It costs a regular full exchange fee to use which is currently $230. You can not put a guest cert on the week, they are for personal use only. They are only supposed to come with developer purchases but usually at least one bonus week transfers with each VV affiliate resort- or at least I get one from Massanutten, one from Grandview, and one from VV at Parkway. Three a year for me and I haven't used one yet. If they don't transfer upon resale you can't complain because they aren't deed rights or contractually guaranteed to resale owners.

It is very similar inventory to Last Calls which are regularly priced at $230-$294 depending on size of the unit. RCI regularly has sales for this inventory that may make it less than $230 per week. So If you do a lot of last minute bookings it may save you up to $60 off regular price rentals or not depending on current RCI promotions.

Thank you, makes a lot more sense now. I was wondering how it works. I do a lot of last minute vacations so it could be a plus. Will have to keep all of this in mind for the future.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Thank you, makes a lot more sense now. I was wondering how it works. I do a lot of last minute vacations so it could be a plus. Will have to keep all of this in mind for the future.

I recommend you keep an eye on this auction or watch for another one as long as it is a points week. In addition to owning Wyndham points I also own at Grandview Las Vegas, annual points on a deeded week, not a fixed week. It is cost prohibitive to convert a fixed week to a points week so stay away from them.

The best deals I've seen are for the 98,000 point weeks and you should be able to get one for no more than around $1300 or a little more and sometimes can even find them for less. That would be the total with the closing costs whether they are included or added to the final auction price. There will be an additional fee to RCI that I've never seen included, $224 for first time buyer, $99 if you already own through RCI. Sometimes there are auctions that even have two use year's points and they typically go for more but as long as the higher price it is under the mf's for a year they are a great deal also. Points are good for two years and can be extended for a third year for a fee. This maintenance fees for 2017 are $765 on those 98,000 point weeks.

You will see 49,000 point weeks but I don't recommend them even when you can pick them up cheaper because you will quickly find yourself wanting/needing more points so it won't have been a good deal when you end up buying a second week to get them. You will also see 122,000 point weeks but they usually go for around $3k and up so hard to justify the additional expense. At the difference in price between the 98,000 point auctions and the 122,000 point auctions, you would have to own for something like 12.5-14 years to break even on the higher price you would pay to get those additional 24,000 points. Whereas the difference in cost between the 49,000 and 98,000 point weeks can be recovered in under 2 years typically and you get twice the number of points.

If you do a lot of last minute vacations, 2-4 weeks out, and can be on the computer at certain times to get them, you can get some amazing stays with the points from the Grandview Las Vegas point weeks. You are welcome to pm me for more information.

Last edited:

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do a lot of last minute vacations, 2-4 weeks out, and can be on the computer at certain times to get them, you can get some amazing stays with the points from the Grandview Las Vegas point weeks. You are welcome to pm me for more information.

Thanks as always Jan. If I decide down the line to go after something like this I will probably reach out. You are a great resource on here.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I own a developer week at Grandview. I was able to apply a Guest Certificate to my bonus weeks. Purchased specifically because of the bonus weeks. Wouldn't have made the purchase unless I could attach a Guest Cert.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is cost prohibitive to convert a fixed week to a points week so stay away from them.

Good advice. Neophytes might somehow think that any such "conversion" of a week (no matter where) to RCI Points is just a paper process.

T'ain't so, of course. Any such "conversion" of a week to RCI Points will virtually always involve about $2,500 -- $4,500 out of pocket.
For that reason, someone looking for RCI Points should obviously only consider weeks that have already been "converted".

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend you keep an eye on this auction or watch for another one as long as it is a points week. In addition to owning Wyndham points I also own at Grandview Las Vegas, annual points on a deeded week, not a fixed week. It is cost prohibitive to convert a fixed week to a points week so stay away from them.

The best deals I've seen are for the 98,000 point weeks and you should be able to get one for no more than around $1300 or a little more and sometimes can even find them for less. That would be the total with the closing costs whether they are included or added to the final auction price. There will be an additional fee to RCI that I've never seen included, $224 for first time buyer, $99 if you already own through RCI. Sometimes there are auctions that even have two use year's points and they typically go for more but as long as the higher price it is under the mf's for a year they are a great deal also. Points are good for two years and can be extended for a third year for a fee. This maintenance fees for 2017 are $765 on those 98,000 point weeks.

You will see 49,000 point weeks but I don't recommend them even when you can pick them up cheaper because you will quickly find yourself wanting/needing more points so it won't have been a good deal when you end up buying a second week to get them. You will also see 122,000 point weeks but they usually go for around $3k and up so hard to justify the additional expense. At the difference in price between the 98,000 point auctions and the 122,000 point auctions, you would have to own for something like 12.5-14 years to break even on the higher price you would pay to get those additional 24,000 points. Whereas the difference in cost between the 49,000 and 98,000 point weeks can be recovered in under 2 years typically and you get twice the number of points.

I would like to offer an argument in favor of the 49,000 point weeks: The way Grandview is constructed, a 2 bedroom consists of two 1 bedroom units. Grandview is a rare resort where the maintenance fees of a 1 bedroom is exactly half those of a 2 bedroom. What this means is that, notwithstanding the fact that one will have to pay full transfer closing fees on either deed, the mf cost per point is exactly the same for 1 BR and 2 BR in the same season.

if I could find 2 1 bedrooms for the same price or less as a single 2 bedroom, I'd take it. Following that thought, I see nothing wrong with grabbing a 49K or 61K 1 bedroom if the prices is right, and then keeping an eye out for an additional reasonably priced 49K or 61K to add to it.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
It is important to know what you're looking at to know if it is a good deal. What are the different closing costs and transfer fees, who pays the current year mf's and are the closing costs are included or added to the final price? And you have to remember that you are going to pay that additional $99 RCI fee every time you buy another deed.

At Grandview Las Vegas you will see listings for 61,000/.0125 per point and 98,000/.0078 per point weeks both in a 2 bedroom unit and both having the same mf's. The difference in the points is due to the season/time of year of the weeks. My 98,000 point week gets me 37,000 more points each year than the 61,000 point week for the same annual mf's, $765 for 2017. Using the lower figure of .0078 per point to value those extra 37,000 annual points gives them a value of $288.60 per year. Say for instance that you are paying $500 for the 61,000 point week and $1200 for the 98,000 point week, it will take you a little less than 2.5 years to recover the extra expense of buying in the higher point week and you will get those extra 37,000 points every single year for as long as you own.

Here is another way to think of it. Say you had the chance to get a 61,000 point week for free, $0, with the closing costs included. Those extra 37,000 points have a value which is $288.60 per year based on the 2017 mf's. My $1200 purchase price of the 98,000 point week divided by that $288.60 value for the extra points means after 4.16 years you will no longer benefit from that free 61,000 point week nor will you have the 37,000 extra points every single year that I will be getting for the same mf's that you will be paying every year.

The 49,000 point weeks are in the one bedroom units and and as Ty1on posted are half the mf's of the two bedroom units. I thought the 122,000 point weeks were in three bedroom units but I'm not sure about that nor what the mf's are on those 122,000 point weeks.

Last edited:

BennyBoy00

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of the confusion is the various combinations of points you can buy at Grandview. You have to know what you are getting. You can buy the following:

1 bedroom: 30500, 40000, 49000, 61000 points
2 bedroom: 61000, 80000, 98000, 122000 points

The 1 bedroom maint fees and points are both exactly half that of the 2 bedroom. The confusing part is that 61000 points can get you either a 1 bedroom or a 2 bedroom depending on the week. Purchasing a 2 bedroom 61000 point week is not a good deal, while purchasing a 1 bedroom 61000 point week is much better.

As to the original question about the "Bonus Week" certificates. The inventory is nearly identical to RCI's last calls except its $230 to reserve instead of the last call rate. I find the bonus week certificates mostly worthless, as RCI's frequent sales on extra vacations usually have nearly the same pricing without the 45 day limitation that the bonus weeks have. I will typically reserve an RCI sale week instead of using my certificates.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to the original question about the "Bonus Week" certificates. The inventory is nearly identical to RCI's last calls except its $230 to reserve instead of the last call rate. I find the bonus week certificates mostly worthless, as RCI's frequent sales on extra vacations usually have nearly the same pricing without the 45 day limitation that the bonus weeks have. I will typically reserve an RCI sale week instead of using my certificates.

Thanks I will probably just stick with the RCI last calls.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will probably just stick with the RCI last calls.
I bought a Grandview on eBay that gives me 122000 points every year for a maintenance fee of $765 (plus or minus a few dollars). I also got a bunch of banked RCI points with my purchase. With that many points I can get a nice variety of vacations.

But, here's the rub, these contracts cost a lot of money. I paid $3200 for mine. But I've gotten way more in value than the cost of the buy-in already.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We like Grandview - but it's a very inexpensive rental and exchange on RCI. Sometimes the rent is less than the exchange fee.

hpbinla

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts, Grandview at Las Vegas
I bought a Grandview on eBay that gives me 122000 points every year for a maintenance fee of $765 (plus or minus a few dollars). I also got a bunch of banked RCI points with my purchase. With that many points I can get a nice variety of vacations.

But, here's the rub, these contracts cost a lot of money. I paid $3200 for mine. But I've gotten way more in value than the cost of the buy-in already.

I agree. I recently purchased 122,000 RCI Points at Grandview Las Vegas on Ebay and spent about $3,000 to purchase and my maintenance fee is $765 a year. Best value out there and most Bang for your Buck. I have already gotten almost all of what I paid for it back in value from the two vacations I was able to book with my points for this year.

Anyone looking to purchase a timeshare, I highly recommend the 122,000 two bedroom at Grandview with a $765 a year maintenance fee. If you are patient and able to wait a month or two to find a good deal, you will highly benefit in the vacation arena. These deals are usually on Ebay once or twice a month.

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. I recently purchased 122,000 RCI Points at Grandview Las Vegas on Ebay and spent about $3,000 to purchase and my maintenance fee is $765 a year. Best value out there and most Bang for your Buck. I have already gotten almost all of what I paid for it back in value from the two vacations I was able to book with my points for this year.

Anyone looking to purchase a timeshare, I highly recommend the 122,000 two bedroom at Grandview with a $765 a year maintenance fee. If you are patient and able to wait a month or two to find a good deal, you will highly benefit in the vacation arena. These deals are usually on Ebay once or twice a month.
I've got to side with Jan - while the 122k is obviously great, that $3000 purchase price pays almost 4 years of maintenance fees when you can get a 98k for free. So, it depends on how long term you plan on owning it to determine if the extra 24k points a year is worth it.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with that is I can't add points to a 98K contract without buying another contract and paying another maintenance fee. You're probably right though about the cost though!

Howver, I have been able to book MANY vacations for <24000 points. So I guess for me its a wash. More vacations, for an extra $3,000 in buyin fees, equals a happy camper.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
Speaking of which, any idea why so many nearly-free 98K contracts are popping up on eBay now? We bought ours a couple years ago on eBay, and at the time our $1k winning bid was a steal compared to what they often went for!

I'm seeing a lot other Grandviews appearing there as well. Is there something going on with the resort? Points going to lower?

hpbinla

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts, Grandview at Las Vegas
I think it's just supply and demand. Now the 122,000 RCI Point 2 Bedroom Units at Grandview Las Vegas are rare on Ebay and selling for $1,500-$2000 plus closing costs.

It seems to me Ebay is the only place that the Grandview sells for cheap. On all the other websites that resale timeshares, they are selling for high prices.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I will probably just stick with the RCI last calls.
Yeh -- us too.

Only hitch with Last Call has been scarcity of 2BR units for our favored early January off-season Florida timeshare vacations.

For 2BR units, we've had more RCI success with Extra Getaway Vacations when those go on sale.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

mpeter15

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what it costs to convert a fixed 122000 equivalent week 2br Grandview to RCI points? For instance if the conversion were $3k and the unit were roughly free including closing costs, then the $3k conversion would actually make financial sense since already converted weeks tend to run $3k on Ebay. If the conversion were anything more than $3k, it really wouldn't make any sense

Ace

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what it costs to convert a fixed 122000 equivalent week 2br Grandview to RCI points? For instance if the conversion were $3k and the unit were roughly free including closing costs, then the $3k conversion would actually make financial sense since already converted weeks tend to run $3k on Ebay. If the conversion were anything more than $3k, it really wouldn't make any sense
I remember reading (probably somewhere in this forum) that it does cost thousands to do this. In my opinion it wouldn't be worth it unless you could get it done for $500 or less. For a lot less money, you can buy a week that already includes RCI points. I paid $349, although it was not one of the 122,000 point units. You can find Grandview units on the eBay and Sumday Vacations websites, for example. You will see units that include RCI points as well as those that do not. And the listings change frequently so you might need to search several times to get the week and number of points you want.

Last edited:

mpeter15

Reaction score
I remember reading (probably somewhere in this forum) that it does cost thousands to do this. In my opinion it wouldn't be worth it unless you could get it done for $500 or less. For a lot less money, you can buy a week that already includes RCI points. I paid $349, although it was not one of the 122,000 point units. You can find Grandview units on the eBay and Sumday Vacations websites, for example. You will see units that include RCI points as well as those that do not. And the listings change frequently so you might need to search several times to get the week and number of points you want.

Yes, I'm well aware of all the RCI Points timeshares available on Ebay including Grandview. However the 122000 point Grandview with low MF are not going for free, they are going for around $3k for an annual contract. This is for good reason, because their point to MF ratio is insane which makes the long-term cost extremely low and biggest bang for the buck. Sure, it certainly would not be worth paying paying $$$ to convert to 122000 rci points when you can get a free 98000 point contract and you only intend to use it for a short time period before discarding it, but depending on what the cost is to convert(which is what my question was) at some point not too far down the road the low MF ratio overtakes the conversion price.

mpeter15

Reaction score
Ok, I lied lol. I just did the math and if the conversion costs $3k and you assume both timeshares can be had for free including closing costs, it would take 20 years for the high point to MF ratio of the 122000 point unit to overtake the conversion price. Even if you plan on using the unit for the rest of your life, a lot can happen in 20 years lol. That would be just too long to realize a savings