• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Solmar, Cabo question on all-inclusive package

jldryfly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking about taking the wife to this resort, as we've heard/read great things about it.

Wondering if anyone has had any luck, once there, negotiating a discount on the all-inclusive meal package? Retail ($250 pp per day) is okay, but want to do better if we can.

Thanks!

Jim

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you go on a presentation, you can get a discount, but why would you want to go all-inclusive? You'll be walking distance to town and there are so many good places to explore for food and beverages!

I love Grand Solmar, but the all-inclusive prices just don't make sense to me. Some of the food is great, and we always enjoy a few meals at the resort, but for the price, you'll find much better variety and quality of food off site. You have to buy an all-inclusive package for a minimum of three consecutive days, and DH and I would be sick if we tried to ingest $500/day worth of food and drinks for three straight days! :p (It might be fun to try it for one day, though!) Alcohol often seems to be a deciding factor when people want to buy an all-inclusive package, but ordering the Drink of the Day and enjoying Happy Hours will keep the bar bill way down, too. There are kitchens in even the smallest units at Grand Solmar, so enjoying a simple meal or drinks on your oceanview balcony is a delight as well!

If you don't want to leave the resort, and really want to go all-inclusive, Grand Solmar usually offers a discount if you purchase it before your arrival. It's not much of a discount, though. Maybe $10-20 off per day.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Also thinking of staying there. Where is the best place to find legit rentals at this resort?

We have access to II but only want a cash getaway or rent if reasonable during winter season. (we don't wish to trade our II unit.)

Do the studios offer a lanai with oceanview? Do the lanais have a table or is it a mini with only two chairs? Is there a particular type of unit we should look for?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
CalGalTraveler, I think RedWeek is probably your best bet for rentals. There's also an owners group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SolmarOwners/ where people post rentals. I rather doubt you'll find a great deal on an Interval Getaway for winter. Just an FYI, annual maintenance fees will start at close to $800 for 2020, and go way up from there for the larger units.

The resort website shows photos and floorplans for the different type of units. You can see them here: https://grandsolmarresort.solmar.com/accommodations All of the units have an ocean view. Some are oceanfront. The studio balconies are large enough for two very comfortable lounge chairs and side tables. For two people, the 750sf Studio would work fine. If you want an extra bathroom and more private space, you should move up to a 1,200sf 1BR Master Suite. The Penthouses are REALLY nice for a group of friends/family. The first phase rooms (Buildings 6, 7, 8, 9) are a bit larger than those in the second phase (Bldg 2, 3, 4), a common developer tactic. Here's a map of the resort http://www.resortsmaps.com/map-GrandSolmarLandsEnd-LosCabos.html

I hope this helps.

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert, Marriott Grand Chateau, Grand Solmar at Land's End
Thinking about taking the wife to this resort, as we've heard/read great things about it.

Wondering if anyone has had any luck, once there, negotiating a discount on the all-inclusive meal package? Retail ($250 pp per day) is okay, but want to do better if we can.

Thanks!

Jim

Hey Jim,
The resort is amazing! We got back from a week long stay on Aug 3rd. We did the 3 day meal plan and paid prior to arrival. That was the only way to get a discount that I found. I was surprised at the number of guests that I talked to who actually did the meal plan as well. I didn't think most people did it, but it appears to be pretty popular.

We were not offered a discount for the meal plan for doing a presentation, but we did get a $150.00 room credit and other discounts for attending. The room credit comes in handy for the general store and deli. Your meal plan includes tips and taxes, remember that. We forgot and ended up over tipping. No big deal, just a reminder.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rich, I bet you were very popular! We're always surprised by the number of guests who opt for the meal plan, too. In talking with them, many said they weren't sure what the food situation was in town, so all-inclusive at a high end resort felt "safe" to them. Just curious, did you feel like the all-inclusive plan was worth it?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Is meal plan really $250/pp/day? If so that is really expensive. Fiesta Americana Grand down the road was $80/pp/day and is now $120/pp/day which we thought was expensive.I didn't think we could drink or eat enough on that to make it work vs. a la carte. How do the a la carte options compare? Do owners and their guests get a discount?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No special discount if owners choose to buy the all-inclusive plan. They can buy it prior to arrival for a discount like other guests. Thankfully, the all-inclusive plan is NOT mandatory for anyone!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Do they offer any try and buy promo discounted stays? If so how do you get on the list? Is their sales process long and horrible? (If more than 90 min and high pressure we won't attend).

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any promotions, CalGalTraveler. I try to avoid wasting everyone's time on sales presentations, so I don't know how bad they are - I haven't done one at Grand Solmar for years. Hopefully Rich will chime in, since he just did one!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMO this resort is lovely based on the photos. The ability to walk to town is a plus since we don't like to rent a car. Grand Fiesta requires a taxi or shuttle.

Slightly off topic. How does this resort compare to the Pueblo Bonito resorts?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to own a couple of Sunset Beach weeks, and we like all the PB resorts, but prefer Grand Solmar's location and amenities.

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rich, I bet you were very popular! We're always surprised by the number of guests who opt for the meal plan, too. In talking with them, many said they weren't sure what the food situation was in town, so all-inclusive at a high end resort felt "safe" to them. Just curious, did you feel like the all-inclusive plan was worth it?

Hey Pam,

Actually I did. It was our first time staying there, and we didn't know what to expect. We arrived on Saturday and began our meal plan on Sunday afternoon, after the "free breakfast" that came with the presentation. We did the 3 day meal plan, I was considering doing the full week or at least 5 day, but the wife wanted to eat authentic Mexican food while we were there. Needless to say, we wandered into town on a couple of occasions and I ate pizza, and steak:shrug:

We intend on going back next year and I am considering doing the 3 day plan again. There was something nice about knowing that we didn't have to pay to enjoy a meal. I know that I paid, but since I paid early things felt like they were free since I wasn't reaching for my wallet after each meal.o_O

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Rich S How was the preso? How long? High pressure? Do they offer discounted promo stays there? If so how does one get one?

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Rich S How was the preso? How long? High pressure? Do they offer discounted promo stays there? If so how does one get one?

I was surprised because my wife actually signed us up for it. I didn't think she would want to do one, I always do because I love to gather information, but she signed us up. The presentation was ok, we had a decent breakfast with the presenter. He told us about the attributes as we ate and looked at the beautiful ocean view. We had a tour and went upstairs to the administrative offices.

The whole presentation would have been about 2 hours including breakfast, but I prolonged it because I made them show me a room that they were trying to get me to buy. I had no intention of buying, I just wanted to see the rooms in case I wanted to buy one resale.

The presentation wasn't high pressure per se, more of a salesperson trying to get you to buy. The second guy who came over was not to my liking so I pretty much ended it after he started talking. When we go back, I will definitely do it again.

I think I saw a 3 night promo on their website, but don't quote me on that.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I know this is an old thread. At GS Right now. Very quiet (understandably).

I had no idea the AI was that price normally. We got it for $99 a day and it’s a bargain given the prices here. We did it for three days and have had some nice meals in town.

Had a great day on the water filling the cooler with fresh dorado!

Last edited:

James G

Reaction score
I'm at Grand Solmar at Lands End now. Here's everyone a pic from the balcony.

Attachments

• 20200906_144841.jpg
    20200906_144841.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200906_144856.jpg
    20200906_144856.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 25

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
We were there Dec-2019 [exchanged a MKO-1BR via Interval] and did attend a presentation but did not do the meal plan as it had to be purchased for all members of the party.
Since we were 8 people [many of the kids are poor eaters] it didn't make sense.

We were offered a small discount on the Meal-Plan if we purchased prior to arrival but turned it down.
Enjoyed trying out the local restaurants within walking distance in the downtown area.
The presentation was low-key with no pressure. Left us with a great experience and open to purchase in the future.

Enjoyed the Sunrise & Sunsets from our 6th Floor 3BR in Building-9.
Would return to Grand Solmar Lands End in a heartbeat.

Have 2 trips planned for 1-Week APR-2021 Grand Solmar Rancho [GSD: 2BR-UUU2PH + GSF: 2BR-UUU2P] + 2-Weeks in JUL-2021 at Vista Encantada [VTE-UUU4: 4BR-Units].
Looking for feedback on both of the above 2 resorts.

Attachments

• AW0I0058.JPG
    AW0I0058.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 29
  • AW0I0859.JPG
    AW0I0859.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 28
  • AW0I1372.JPG
    AW0I1372.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 29
  • AW0I2094.JPG
    AW0I2094.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 28
  • AW0I2098.JPG
    AW0I2098.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 29
  • AW0I2123.JPG
    AW0I2123.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 29
  • AW0I2143.JPG
    AW0I2143.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 28
  • AW0I2251.JPG
    AW0I2251.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 28
  • AW0I9694.JPG
    AW0I9694.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 30
  • AW0I9704.JPG
    AW0I9704.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 30
  • AW0I9738.JPG
    AW0I9738.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 29
  • AW0I9745.JPG
    AW0I9745.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 30

James G

Reaction score
What a trade! Do Hawaii resorts have that type of trading power in interval, or was getting that 3 bedroom in prime season lucky?

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
What a trade! Do Hawaii resorts have that type of trading power in interval, or was getting that 3 bedroom in prime season lucky?
Part trading power + part luck.

We usually travel large 6-12 people [including kids friends].
Thus we always stay in a 2BR [Max-8] or larger; mostly 3BR or sometimes 4BR units.
If we travel far [Caribbean, Asia, Europe] we usually travel 2-4 weeks and have good luck exchanging via Interval.
However, our vacations are a hybrid of Interval + MVCI [DCP Ritz peoperties] + Vistana [e.g. HRA] + Marriott-Bonvoy points [Europe/Asia].

James G

Reaction score
For those that have fished in Cabo, Pancho is doing fine. No Coronavirus for him, but he wants everyone to know that he needs more fish!

Attachments

• 20200908_140634.jpg
    20200908_140634.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4549(1).jpg
    IMG_4549(1).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 29