• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Regency Resort at Thousand Hills

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend is thinking of buying at this resort. The only review on TUG is 3 years old. It's an II resort and I'm and RCI member. Can anyone tell me about the quality of this resort. Good points and bad will be appreciated.

Sue

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Like the bulk of Branson resorts, it is nice. I don't think there is anything special about it, but it is nice. If I'm not mistaken, it is located on Green Mountain Drive, on the back nine of the Thousand Hills Golf Course.

I would place it about middle of the pack for Branson resorts, but we really do have a lot of nice ones.

Fairfield bought one of the resorts over in the area last year, and I'm not so sure it isn't that one. You might call Fairfield Branson, or Grand Regency and ask.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a place that is still being developed, there seem to be a lot of resales listed on redweek. That makes me somewhat leary.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We recently purchased an every other year usage 1 bedroom unit at this resort for $285 on E-bay. It is one of the very few non-five star resorts in Branson. All of the pics of the units appear to be very nice but, the resort has it's issues from what I can tell.

The last few times we've been in Branson we've gone by, hoping management might be onsight and we could actually look at a unit. They've never been there. From what I can tell, the only time you'll find on sight management is maybe during check in on Saturday. The siding is starting to look worn and, IMO, they need to at least be thinkink of repainting soon. There are NO amenities on site now but, according to the Grand Regency web site, they have finally started putting in the pool.

This resort is NOT owned by Fairfield at this time but is owned by the same company developing the French Quarter. At this time, all the money and effort seem to be going into that resort. From what I can tell, there is enough planned expansion that Grand Regency may eventually become a 5 star resort but, for right now that's a LOT of speculation.

Our first visit to the resort isn't unil next Nov. Customer service does NOT seem to be a priorty with this resort. First, I had issues getting them to put the unit into my name. When I went to make an online resrvation request, nothing happened. I had to make several phone calls leaving messages before I was finally able to speak with someone about reserving a week. In contrast to the 5 other resorts I own this is well below standard from customer service/reservations and I would never consider purchasing at developer prices from either French Quarter or Grand Regency based on my recent experiences dealing only with CS. Service once we arrive as owners has yet to be seen.

Although we were finally able to make a reservation and get a confirmation number, the promised confirmation they were supposed to send us in the mail has never arrived. Further evidence that customer service is not a priority in my mind.

Weeks at this resort do indeed seem to be floating weeks with the ability to reserve any week during the year. As always I'm skeptical about E-bay adds which say a resort is floating as I've seen several weeks advertised that way that I knew were not floating weeks. our deeded week is week 28, which is a July week and a decent week for exchanging in Branson. Although that time of year is a little warm for us, IMO it's a better time to own as Branson has been a tougher exchange from June until mid August for us. If it turned out to not be a floating week as advertised I wanted to maximize my exchange ability.

As I mentioned, I bought this resort at a very low price purely on speculation. The rooms look nice enough based on the pics I've seen at their web site and online searches I've done with I.I. reveal that it excachanges surprisingly well so long as I'm not asking for the cream of the crop resorts. I can easily pull very nice resorts at well developed locations (over developed might be a better term) such as Las Vegas, Williamsburg and Orlando. I can pull shoulder season just about anywhere in the system.

The location of the resort is not bad but it was difficult for us to find the first time we drove to it. It's is on the back side of Thousand Hills Golf course and not to far off the property of Surrey's Grand Crown resort. It is maybe a half mile off Green Mountain and tucked away on a side street up a hill. It's hard to imagine which direction the future developement is going to take this particular resort.

Grand Regency's web site is http://www.grandregencyowners.com/pages/1/index.htm

We will post a review once we have spent the night there.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Then let's move it to the lower quarter of the pack. ;)

Generally speaking, resorts in Branson are pretty solid, so there would be better choices if a person just had to own here.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I'm hoping that the developers at French Quarter bought this land for future developement and needed to put something on it to lock in the zoning or conform to whatever land use laws might be applicable in Branson. Developement in Branson moves at a snails pace for timeshares from what I've seen and I'm hoping that once French Quarter reaches build out, then they'll turn as much attention to Grand Regency as their next developement.

However, this could very easily be all pie-in-the-sky thinking on my part. As it is, I don't feel I've risked much with my purchase there but, I could have done just as well with Surry resales from what I've seen. For a little more I could have purchased into Sunterra or Fairfield pretty easily and Spinnaker comes up every now and then but, many of those are weeks 1-9, which aren't worth the yearly MF payments IMO.

Grand Regency definately needs to be at the bottom of the pack for now until promised amenities such as the swimming pool and club house are added in. I just don't see the developer getting overly excited about putting them in right now. My gut feeling is that disgruntled owners have finally pushed the issue with the on site pool to a point that it had to be put in or charges of fraud might be brought against the developer. You know that MO AG doesn't like TS developers or sales that aren't reasonably honest. If they were promising something at the time of sale and the developer isn't coming through with it, then I bet a little heat could be put under the developers back sides pretty easy.

Now, having thought about it, I think I'll see about taking a tour to see exactly WHAT the devloper is promising as far as future developement.

JoeMO

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any new information on this resort?

I called the resort and they said it exchanges with II as a 5 star!

I am looking at buying one because they look very nice and the MF's are very low. There are many of them for sale on the resale market which makes me a little suspicious. The MF's are from $175 a year for a one bed, to $350 a year for a 3 bed lock off. You can buy the units for a few hundred dollars. I saw a one bed for $1,000 and this included all the closing costs. This all sounds to good to be true.

Any updates, opinions or advice is appreciated. Thanks

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
JoeMO said:
Does anyone have any new information on this resort?

I called the resort and they said it exchanges with II as a 5 star!

I am looking at buying one because they look very nice and the MF's are very low. There are many of them for sale on the resale market which makes me a little suspicious. The MF's are from $175 a year for a one bed, to $350 a year for a 3 bed lock off. You can buy the units for a few hundred dollars. I saw a one bed for $1,000 and this included all the closing costs. This all sounds to good to be true.

Any updates, opinions or advice is appreciated. Thanks

They are NOT 5 star. There are NO resort amenities at this resort although the web site states that they have finally begun putting in the pool. As it stand now, there are only two buildings that have been built. When you call them, you are asked if you're a Grand Regency or French Quarter owner. It's my opinion that they are actively building, adding, promoting French Quarter and Grand Regency is the step-child timeshare. I suspect that they started Grand Regency for some zoning/tax/local legal reason and then put it on the back burner. There is no club house and the office is essentially one of the TS units. There has never been any onsite management when we've gone there to try and check it out.

We purchased a one bedroom EOY usage unit for $285 plus closing costs. We were charged $204 for the MF, which is due every year. We did not receive a MF bill and I had to chase them in order to finally pay it. They were less than helpful in transfering the title, which caused us to pay the MF bill late.

The pictures of the rooms look nice. The exterior of the resort is beggining to show some wear and tear that will require addressing in the near future. I have never seen any signs of additional developement in the last couple of years. Over all, for the resale prices I've seen, it's not bad. But don't expect to much. This is NOT your typical timeshare resort and it a long ways from earning a 5 star rating from I.I. IMO.

November will be our first stay in the unit we purchased. I will write a complete review once we've actually spent some time there.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
If you wish to own at a below-average Branson resort with a cloudy past and a murky future, and probably won't trade for squat, this would be a good one. :D

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
JLB said:
If you wish to own at a below-average Branson resort with a cloudy past and a murky future, and probably won't trade for squat, this would be a good one. :D
Does this trade just in II, or is it also RCI? If it trades in RCI, it might at least be usable in points-for-deposit (assuming it's not a Points resort.)

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
It trades through I.I.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why in the world buy this one with all its issues when with patience you can buy at more well thought of resorts in Branson?

GEORGE

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Over at that other TS forum, someone just did. They bought on ebay and then went looking for congrats, I guess. I guess they also didn't find here first.

I linked to this thread, but after the fact.

I also offered to help them make the most out of their new purchase.

Having just made my first ebay purchase (not a TS), after being unsuccessful on several items, doesn't it make you uncomfortable when something is easy to get there? I'm awaiting delivery of my item, with apprehension.

bogey21 said:
Why in the world buy this one with all its issues when with patience you can buy at more well thought of resorts in Branson?

GEORGE

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
JLB said:

Actually, I have been surprised to see that the Grand Regency one bedroom we bought trades pretty well. It will pull some 5 star resorts but mostly in shoulder season (as expected). The week we own is a July week which seems to be a pretty strong month for Branson (drive to family summer destination).

I'm hoping that once the company that's building French Quarter gets done with that resort, they'll turn their attention to full developement of the property they own at Grand Regency. I think of my purchase as speculation at an inexpensive cost.

Mostly I'm anxious to see what it's really like when we get to stay there for the first time this coming November. The pictures look nice but, anyone can take pictures of a model unit.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Drop me a line closer to when you're heading this way.

November is a pretty time in Branson.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
JLB said:
Drop me a line closer to when you're heading this way.

November is a pretty time in Branson.

I was thinking I should do that. Since your the TUG resident in Branson, it'd be good that you see the resort up close and personal rather than just taking my word for what it looks like.

To be honest, I'm not expecting a lot. Just a decent place to sleep and spend some time when we're not out and about town. The resort completely lacks any outside amenities other than the pool which is supposedly being put in this summer. Looking at their web picture, this can't be much of a pool where they are putting it.

Eventually the resort is "supposed" to have all the amenities of a five star resort so, maybe it will make it there sometime in the future. As for now, developement is slow. The one thing I've noted about Branson is TS developement is slower than other locations we've been. For instance, Horizon's by Marriott still only had two buildings up last summer and it didn't look like the were working hard on the start of a third building. Since we purchased our unit at Marriott's Ocean Pointe in 2001 they've completed three buildings. For that matter Marriott has already started the work on tower two in Vegas and it's only a few years old from the ground breaking of tower 1 and less than a year from the opening of tower 1 last Sept. of Oct.

We started our ownership of timeshares in '98 and toured Falls Village in '99. Until last year, I really hadn't seen much work being done there either. Now all of the sudden they've been on a building spree with 4 buildings up last year (that I counted) and another 4 up this year. But for many years, they lagged with the old buildings and a couple of newer buildings. I think it was a few years before they even put in the clubhouse and pools.

So, here's hoping (for my money anyway) that the developement company spends a little time on Grand Regency rather than all of their time on French Quarter. Or at least hope they finish French Quarter enough that they have to spend time making improvements to Grand Regency so that they can start sales there in earnest.

bboy1234

Reaction score
JLB said:
Over at that other TS forum, someone just did. They bought on ebay and then went looking for congrats, I guess. I guess they also didn't find here first.

I linked to this thread, but after the fact.

I also offered to help them make the most out of their new purchase.

Having just made my first ebay purchase (not a TS), after being unsuccessful on several items, doesn't it make you uncomfortable when something is easy to get there? I'm awaiting delivery of my item, with apprehension.

You offered help to make the most out of my purchase? All i saw you do was slam my resort and make me feel stupid for my purchase!

JLB

Banned
Reaction score

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Post 16 reply:

Yeah, I need to see inside every resort. :doh: That's quite an assignment. Actually we get quite a few invites so we have seen inside quite a few, but we still have some to go.

It may appear that development in Branson is slow when you look at the pace of any one project, but the fact is that development is faster than it's ever been. Because the trades people are spread so thin, it's hard to find anyone to get anything done in a hurry.

Of course, Branson Landing did because it is so prominent, but there is a lot left to do on it. Stonebridge, Branson Creek, Branson Hills, Indian Ridge, the Convention Center, Saddlebrook, the 5-star hotel/resort at the Chateau are all projects with 100's of millions of dollars budgeted. Then there's the little stuff, like a new shopping center and a new highway in Branson West, and all the little projects going on.

Of course, the building of condos around Thousand Hills, and all the other areas like that, will continue until there simply is no place left to build.

We are still waiting to get a bid from a contractor to repair our storm damage from March 12. I have called everyone in the book and everyone that has an ad in the local paper, and don't have a complete bid yet. One contractor has brought four crews out to bid it and we don't have one from him yet.

I finally lined up a roofing contractor, and that will be done in the next month, and we are going to replace the roof on our screen room ourselves, with a little help from our friends. We just scheduled that last night.

Talk about apprehension . . . We are planning on building a new house!

What was the question again? :D

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
bboy1234 said:
You offered help to make the most out of my purchase? All i saw you do was slam my resort and make me feel stupid for my purchase!

Bboy,

Think of it as a speculation purchase. We purchased an EOY 1 bedroom because it was cheap, we can drive to Branson. Pretty much the same as you.

Still, the resort is not up to standards now as far as I'm concerned. Getting the title transfered took some threats on my part as management was not responsive to my requests. Making a reservation online did not work as they didn't respond. Making a reservation over the phone took some effort as I would call, have to leave a message with 3 different dates of travel and wait for them to call me back. They didn't call back until I got a little more insistant. They also said they'd mail me a confirmation letter which I have yet to recieve.

Since I haven't received a confirmation letter, I'm wondering if I really have a reseration at all. I'll be calling them yet again in a couple of days to force the issue.

Management is not on site. They are just now putting the pool in after the resort has been up for 4 or 5 years. There is no club house, no fitness center and for that matter no amenities at all.

However, I have stopped by and looked into the windows of empty units (I hope they were empty) and the units look nice enough for what I paid. This unit was purchased to use so I don't care about exchanging. We also tend not to use the amenities like a pool or club house so I doubt we really miss them very much. For us, it will work. For most, it would be a disappointing timeshare to own.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, if youse guys needs fer me ta go break a couple kneecaps, let me know. :annoyed:

PS: As I look back (Post #2), I started out fairly complimentary, then I went downhill.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
JLB said:
Hey, if youse guys needs fer me ta go break a couple kneecaps, let me know. :annoyed:

PS: As I look back (Post #2), I started out fairly complimentary, then I went downhill.

If I remember correctly, you've got your hands full with some of your neighbors. ;)

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Since the Prosecutor is taking a look at new evidence, they have been behaving. They always seem to know when they have to behave, as if someone is keeping them informed! ;)

dougp26364 said:
If I remember correctly, you've got your hands full with some of your neighbors. ;)

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
JLB said:
Since the Prosecutor is taking a look at new evidence, they have been behaving. They always seem to know when they have to behave, as if someone is keeping them informed! ;)

Never fails does it. At least they're behaving themselves for now.