• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Ocean - July 2019

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
And expect scattered thunder storms typically in the evening but can happen anytime during the day for part of most days. I typically avoid Hilton Head in the summer but every so often I go anyway. We had planned to do a ghost tour in the evening in Savannah but it cancelled 4 nights in row because of thunder and rain so we switched to a day time walking tour. In the past we have done hop on hop off type tours in the spring. It was hot and draining to walk in the heat during the day.

Try to stay in or on the water, IMO preferably on a boat, to keep cooler during the day but the beach and even in the pool will work as well.

If this is your first trip and you find you hate it because of the draining heat, don't give up on Hilton Head. Try the spring or the late fall.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
I ragged on our humidity down here in my previous post, and while it is thick enough to cut with a knife at times, I should probably walk back my absolutes just a bit. When you are on the beach, it IS much more pleasant. We were in HHI over July 4, and the air temps were in the low 90s and with the humidity, the heat indices away from the ocean were 100+. Here in Charlotte, I wouldn't even think of going outside for an extended time. But we spent at least 4 or 5 hours almost every day for 5 days on the beach. The sea breeze kicks in every day around noon/early PM and by the time 5-6pm rolls around, it's down-right pleasant. Now on the pool deck where we were staying at the Westin hotel, where the breezes were blocked a bit, it was dang HOT. We avoided that area. It might not be really comfortable riding your bike on the many bike paths during the heat of the day, but even then, HHI has a LOT of trees - more than you will probably ever see at a beach resort area - so you can always find a shady place to ride.

We've been to the beach in July in New England, South Carolina, and Florida (Ocean Side). Often times the temp and "feels like" are the same at home as when we're down south... if your on the beach. Orlando in July is oppressive. Atlanta in July is oppressive. Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Ft Lauderdale are hot, but that is what the water is for. The coast, the breeze, the ocean make for a great trip.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s been over a year since I made this post and I’m finally here. It is like a sauna outside. It just hits you. It’s what I was expecting so it just means the pools will be extra nice.

Ended up on the 4th floor in the KingFisher building facing the pool. I even ended up with a little ocean view. Room 8644. The picture is from sitting in the couch. Some needs to cut down the stupid palm tree.

I also included a picture from my weather app. Feels like 103. However it doesn’t feel anything like 103 in Utah.

Attachments

• 5A26B19E-5C45-4C67-96C3-9CE5B78F5E22.jpeg
    5A26B19E-5C45-4C67-96C3-9CE5B78F5E22.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 8F52EA56-226D-4C74-94A0-5732663C353F.jpeg
    8F52EA56-226D-4C74-94A0-5732663C353F.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 86
  • A2F6AD08-2221-405A-B282-8F900DBEC2BC.png
    A2F6AD08-2221-405A-B282-8F900DBEC2BC.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 91

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
It’s been over a year since I made this post and I’m finally here. It is like a sauna outside. It just hits you. It’s what I was expecting so it just means the pools will be extra nice.

Ended up on the 4th floor in the KingFisher building facing the pool. I even ended up with a little ocean view. Room 8644. The picture is from sitting in the couch. Some needs to cut down the stupid palm tree.

I also included a picture from my weather app. Feels like 103. However it doesn’t feel anything like 103 in Utah.

Not a bad view at all. Think ours was similar when we were there a couple of years ago.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Let’s be honest, there’s nothing interesting about looking at the Atlantic Ocean.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Despite the oppressive heat and humidity, I think you'll enjoy your stay...the view is a good one....you'd be surprised at how FEW villas
actually have such a nice view......i.e., ocean and Dolphin pool area.

And yes, I know that palm tree well! It needs to disappear in the black of the night, LOL.
As much as my love for Hilton Head and Grande Ocean is well known, I HOPE you have a blast.
Regardless, don't write it off your list for a cooler season---it's a different place, especially when you can enjoy walking and biking.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Welcome to the south, ya'll!

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a TED talk on our local NPR station on the benefits of play. Despite the humidity, despite the tree, embrace the opportunity to play.

As a landscape designer I see the tree as a point of interest. It doesn’t block the entire view. It enhances it. Watch for whatever birds land in it. You’ve gotten one of the best Oceanside units.

Kim R

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like beautiful weather ahead. Enjoy yout week - there are lots of us that would love to be sitting there right now!

I recommend the Crazy Crab in Harbour Town for seafood. It’s a nice spot to walk around and enjoy the view.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
To close the loop on my questions in the origanal post.

Delta - SLC-ATL-SAV was $460 round trip including taxes. 8/9-8/17 which is a Friday to the following Saturday. Delta now flies into HHI now as well. Similar price to Savannah.

Alamo - 8 Days for $380, booked through Costco Travel

Kingfisher Building in 8644 which is on the 4th floor with view of the pool and the ocean.

Free Sea Pines pass included.

taffy19

Reaction score
Despite the oppressive heat and humidity, I think you'll enjoy your stay...the view is a good one....you'd be surprised at how FEW villas

And yes, I know that palm tree well! It needs to disappear in the black of the night, LOL.
As much as my love for Hilton Head and Grande Ocean is well known, I HOPE you have a blast.
Regardless, don't write it off your list for a cooler season---it's a different place, especially when you can enjoy walking and biking.
All they need to do is transport it next to the tall building between the two windows, IMO.

It would enhance your view and complement the wall of the tall building too and leave the lower palm trees too.

I have seen them moving high palm trees quite often at Mexican resorts and they survive even mature Travelers palms and they are wide at the base.

Reactions: jme

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
To close the loop on my questions in the origanal post.

Delta - SLC-ATL-SAV was $460 round trip including taxes. 8/9-8/17 which is a Friday to the following Saturday. Delta now flies into HHI now as well. Similar price to Savannah.

Alamo - 8 Days for $380, booked through Costco Travel

Kingfisher Building in 8644 which is on the 4th floor with view of the pool and the ocean.

Free Sea Pines pass included.
Don't forget to get the Bike Pass for Sea Pines Also
Turn Left once you exit the property and in a short distance you will be at the Sea Pines Back Gate

Have a great trip

Richard

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By law, they’re not allowed to cut down those trees. The most they can do is trim them every three years.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

That's quite a good view from that area, I hope you enjoy your stay.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score

I for one love the palm tree. I think the abundance of trees on HHI are what makes it so beautiful. When I owned in Palmetto Dunes, many of the trees were cut down, and it lost some of it's appeal.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven, do you like the beach? It's pretty different than most any other one that I've been to. Go get breakfast one morning at Watusi.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Looks like a decent view. Not the best but not the worst.

While I prefer white sand beach and aqua water, I do appreciate the Atlantic Ocean view in the Carolinas as well. It is much more of a natural and rich landscape supporting a large variety of wildlife. Take a boat or dolphin tour and you will get a great feel for how this environment supports that on and off the beach!

Temps look normal. Actually, perhaps a few degrees cooler than normal. In August, I expect 90s daily with high humidity. You have a few forecast days in the 80s, which is lucky! 100 degrees with no humidity in Utah probably feels like 80 with humidity in the the Carolinas.

Enjoy HHI!

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
While in Sea Pines enjoy the view but don't get too close.;)

6312449353_21cb543b87_b.jpg

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven, do you like the beach? It's pretty different than most any other one that I've been to. Go get breakfast one morning at Watusi.

Haven’t made it to the beach yet. Today is pool day and staying on campus. We also have our presentation today. It’s supposes to rain this afternoon which means we’ll probably be at the pool again.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
The beach is really fun in the evenings. You should just trek down there and goof around. It will be mostly cleared out.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
All they need to do is transport it next to the tall building between the two windows, IMO.
It would enhance your view and complement the wall of the tall building too and leave the lower palm trees too.
I have seen them moving high palm trees quite often at Mexican resorts and they survive even mature Travelers palms and they are wide at the base.

Great point Emmy......Agree with you!

I didn't mean to imply THE palm tree blocking the view at Kingfisher Bldg should be cut down----I love 'em too much for that.

I just said it needed to "disappear". Relocated was my thought, altho I didn't say it.....so many better places it could help to enhance the landscape.....like around either of the two fire pit areas, or near the South Pool.

Could also relocate a few of them that are currently in front of the Sand Castle, Sea Horse, & Dolphin buildings, too.
Not all, but those most hindering the views of an entire balcony.
Same for a couple of live oaks that could be incrementally pruned over a period of 5 years
(while sticking to the code of a max % reduction per year)...like the one at the southern corner of the Sand Castle Bldg,
completely blocking the 2nd,3rd,4th floor balconies' views down the beach in the southerly direction.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even if Marriott wanted to jump through the hurdles of getting permits and approval to relocate those trees, I couldn't see them deeming it fiscally responsible. I certainly wouldn't want to pay for it via MFs if I were an owner there.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Even if Marriott wanted to jump through the hurdles of getting permits and approval to relocate those trees, I couldn't see them deeming it fiscally responsible. I certainly wouldn't want to pay for it via MFs if I were an owner there.

I don't own at GO, but if one of resorts I do own wanted to make changes like that to enhance the view from some of the units, I wouldn't have a problem paying my share of that in the fees. I could benefit from it if one day I was assigned one of the units with the improved view. I wouldn't support eliminating trees since their tree preservation policies are one of the things that make HHI so great, but if a tree that had grown into sight lines could be effectively moved without killing the tree, I would support that.

Reactions: jme