• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Luxxe is now a Hotel on Expedia

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was shocked and saddened to discover that Grand Luxxe is now advertising its two level 1 bedroom Penthouse Loft and its 4 bedroom suite on Expedia. Members have been told that Vidanta would never be a hotel and would only be available for booking through members. This seems to reduce its exclusivity and makes a membership a lot less valuable and more expensive when you consider the cost per week amortizing the upfront membership fee (over 10 years) plus usage fees (that increase 4-6% per year) and contract renewal fees every 10 years. Between being able to exchange through Interval International, being able to rent weeks from members at close to member rates, being able to to buy rates for very little through other means and now being able to book through Expedia at fairly reasonable rates for a 5 star resort, it seems the Grand Luxxe is diluting its brand and exclusivity. Now there are so many ways to get into the Grand Luxxe that there is absolutely no reason to buy a membership and I think it would be a bad idea to upgrade. What do others think about this new development of Grand Luxxe being on Expedia?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You need to stop believing most of what the sales person told you. Some of it has some grains of truth but most of it was just a bunch of razzle dazzle designed to get you to buy. Vidanta as a whole has thousands of units that they hawk out to exchange companies (both as exchanges and rentals )and other mass retailers. Always has been that way. Vidanta wants their resorts full and will do what they need to do to make that happen.

Many have said they felt like there was no reason to buy a membership but others disagree. There are perks in terms of placement and other included or discounted services like golf and spa treatments that owners can negotiate that renters and exchangers don't get so most owners have the money to spend and what what they want.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Took a look at the Expedia listings for GL NV & RM. Looks to me like it isn’t Vidanta isn’t doing the advertising, but some members have chosen to try and make some extra income by going through VRBO with weeks they’ve reserved; Expedia seems to be picking up the listings, which, for NV anyway, seem to have already rented. If it bothers you and you don’t want to upgrade to the penthouse lofts, but still want to stay there, let me know. I’ll be happy to make a reservation and rent it to you at a fair price....

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Took a look at the Expedia listings for GL NV & RM. Looks to me like it isn’t Vidanta isn’t doing the advertising, but some members have chosen to try and make some extra income by going through VRBO with weeks they’ve reserved; Expedia seems to be picking up the listings, which, for NV anyway, seem to have already rented. If it bothers you and you don’t want to upgrade to the penthouse lofts, but still want to stay there, let me know. I’ll be happy to make a reservation and rent it to you at a fair price....

Thanks for the offer. We already have a reservation to stay at the PH 1 bedroom loft. There are many ways to rent them very inexpensively. I was surprised to find Grand Luxxe on Expedia. Bad for Grand Luxxe, good for members and non-members. It doesn’t bother me. It helps me with my decision to stay an entry level Grand Luxxe member and not spend any more money on Vidanta memberships. We are fine with what we have and can use the upgrade money for other vacations.

Last edited:

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG has been informative and I am thankful to all I am learning here. It has also been rather depressing and demotivating as well. I have completely lost my excitement and enthusiasm for Grand Luxxe after discussing it on this forum. This is too bad.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
TUG has been informative and I am thankful to all I am learning here.

Hi RusselSun ,
It is TUG - Timeshare Users Group - so keep using and adding your own information updates .

Vidanta is a family owned business with 2nd generation family members in key positions .

IMO - The sales income is used to build and grow . Right now it is the Cirque Theme Park in NV ,
after that probably Eastcape , then - who knows .
The Hakkasan - Cabo Grand Mayan partnership is the first step in a plan to add uniqueness of a different kind . That is listed to be finished / open in 2018 .

Because they can build in pesos and collect MF in USD $ - they have built enough units for peak snowbird season .This means they have unit availability in all shoulder periods and put some into exchange systems far in advance for peak times so that (IMO) sales has a steady flow of prospects

IMO - The best use a Vidanta membership week is to book peak time weeks - February every year .
Chances are , there will be new things added every year . ( and new "levels" added if you go to a sales presentation) .

Last edited:

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Nuevo Vallarta, there is a big open field across from the river that is prime undeveloped beach front property. Is that owned by vidanta? i thought I read somewhere it might be developed one day and that would block the beautiful views toward Puerto Vallarta. However, if Vidanta owns it, they could put some new Grand Luxxe towers right on the ocean front. That would be amazing. Sad to get rid of the green open space but exciting to get ocean front towers some day. Any rumors about the future plans for that land?

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am a skeptic, but I am not too excited about the Cirque du Soleil Theme Park. I have hard time visualizing it. Disney connects with children and adults through its characters. I am not sure how Cirque du Soleil connects with people. I have seen many Cirque shows and after a while, they are all the same to me. They lack the emotional connection of Disney. It seems more like adult entertainment so not sure how a theme park will appeal to kids. Maybe Vidanta will surprise us. At Disney Springs, they have a Cirque show but it’s in their dining and shopping section that appeals more to adults. I have always thought of Cirque as adult oriented Vegas style entertainment.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score

It is very expensive to list on Expedia. We were speculating that perhaps a travel aggregator is contacting owners and getting them to hand over their inventory so they can sell it on Expedia. It make no sense for an individual owner to sign up for Expedia to sell a couple weeks.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I know of at least one aggregator for Vidanta properties. There was a posting referring to some maps/floor plans on the web site funsunmexico.com; when I looked at them it was a timeshare rental site. No idea how the ones you saw got on Expedia, but they appeared to be one off single weeks and one of them referred back to a VRBO listing.

One thing you’ll learn from TUG is that there are people that can make money renting there timeshares. I’m not convinced that it’s possible with Grand Luxxe because of the high initial investment and the competition in non-high season weeks. I’ll be retiring in a couple of years and might try my hand at it a bit when my schedule allows more flexibility; book a string of weeks in the high season and list them for rental - if they don’t rent, just stay there. Either way isn’t a bad outcome.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
In Nuevo Vallarta, there is a big open field across from the river that is prime undeveloped beach front property. Is that owned by vidanta? i thought I read somewhere it might be developed one day and that would block the beautiful views toward Puerto Vallarta. However, if Vidanta owns it, they could put some new Grand Luxxe towers right on the ocean front. That would be amazing. Sad to get rid of the green open space but exciting to get ocean front towers some day. Any rumors about the future plans for that land?

Yes, Vidanta owns that land. Basically from the river to the airport. Part of the newest golf course is on that side (suspended bridge goes there) and that is where I thought they were putting the theme park, but am not sure. They were moving a lot of dirt last year over there. I saw concept drawings in one of the Vidanta newletters a couple of months ago. It looks ike it is a huge water park by day and then they have shows at night. It is not something that we are interested in, but it will be a big draw for many people, including affluent Mexicans.

We go for the great beaches and pools with really nice accommodations. :)

bjcnm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad seapointe
Oyster Bay
Vida Vacations
I just bought 2 weeks every year from Vida Vacations for what I paid for 1 week every odd year several years ago. I worry however about the transfer of the old one, by Global Vacation. Has anyone used them before?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I just bought 2 weeks every year from Vida Vacations for what I paid for 1 week every odd year several years ago. I worry however about the transfer of the old one, by Global Vacation. Has anyone used them before?

Global has transferred trade in's - based on prior TUG postings . I assume you bought in NV
as that seems to be where / how they work with Vida ( Vida is Vidanta's sales arm ) .

What did you trade in ? - when did you buy ?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Yes, Vidanta owns that land. Basically from the river to the airport. ......the theme park, but am not sure. They were moving a lot of dirt last year over there. I saw concept drawings in one of the Vidanta newletters a couple of months ago. It looks ike it is a huge water park by day and then they have shows at night. It is not something that we are interested in, but it will be a big draw for many people, including affluent Mexicans.

I agree the park will be a big draw .

Vidanta & Cirque have not fully announced how the "partnership " will work . It does appear that the shows at night will likely have more Cirque influence . It is likely that the waterpark will be stage 1 or 2
and will be a good draw for families ( and others ) both in snow bird season and summer ( including Mexican Nationals in the drive to radius ) .
There is something called ( " the mechanical..zone " ) which is likely rides . I think there will be a zip line influenced zone as well . What else - I am not sure .

I believe I have read that there will also be a (separate ) Cirque Theatre for shows similar to the current Riviera Maya set up .

I kind of trust Vidanta to get it " right" over the long haul .They have history of build it and improve it .

I also think it is a key part of their long term strategy to balance their year round usage by selling to the growing Mexican mddlle class .

< If Mexico has 130 million people and 20% of them can buy in. (including multi- generation family purchases for approx. $ 20K) = 26 million . Canada has 36 million people and probably 26'million can afford a 1 week winter vacation ( on a credit card ) to get away from the cold > You can see why the " The PARK in NV makes business sense >

We may never use it either but I do feel it will enhance the use value of our " ownership" .

Last edited:

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Vidanta owns that land. Basically from the river to the airport. Part of the newest golf course is on that side (suspended bridge goes there) and that is where I thought they were putting the theme park, but am not sure. They were moving a lot of dirt last year over there. I saw concept drawings in one of the Vidanta newletters a couple of months ago. It looks ike it is a huge water park by day and then they have shows at night. It is not something that we are interested in, but it will be a big draw for many people, including affluent Mexicans.

They have started to build the theme park and it is inland in less valuable land. The ocean front land is too valuable to put a theme park there plus it would be too noisy. The new theme park hotels are already under construction and you can see it before you turn into the Vidanta property. I am glad they decided to build the theme park far away.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree the park will be a big draw .

Vidanta & Cirque have not fully announced how the "partnership " will work . It does appear that the shows at night will likely have more Cirque influence . It is likely that the waterpark will be stage 1 or 2
and will be a good draw for families ( and others ) both in snow bird season and summer ( including Mexican Nationals in the drive to radius ) .
There is something called ( " the mechanical..zone " ) which is likely rides . I think there will be a zip line influenced zone as well . What else - I am not sure .

I believe I have read that there will also be a (separate ) Cirque Theatre for shows similar to the current Riviera Maya set up .

I kind of trust Vidanta to get it " right" over the long haul .They have history of build it and improve it .

I also think it is a key part of their long term strategy to balance their year round usage by selling to the growing Mexican mddlle class .

< If Mexico has 130 million people and 20% of them can buy in ( including extended familypurchases for approx. $ 20K) = 26 million . Canada has 36 million people and probably 26'million can afford a 1 week winter vacation ( on a credit card ) to get away from the cold > You can see why the " The PARK in NV makes business sense >

We may never use it either but I do feel it will enhance the use value of our " ownership" .

Maybe it will be more like an Xcaret park type of thing but with a Cirque du Soleil style. A water park with Cirque acts, a zip line, rides, etc. More like an active adventure park with a Cirque du Soleil theme. And a Cirque due Soleil show and dinner. I think they should promote it more if they know what it will be. I looked at the theme park packages they are selling and I do not understand what they are selling because nothing in them was tangible.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We signed a "trade in agreement" for a timeshare with Global Vacations when we bought into Grand Luxxe right before we found TUG. Read a bunch of posts on the subject here; some people have luck with them transferring the ownership promptly, some don't. Seems like they'll get it done if Vidanta pushes them. Ultimately we decided that we didn't want to send them money to take the TS off our hands; it's actually a very good trader in RCI points with a low MF/points ratio. The whole thing struck me as being a bit fishy in the first place anyway because Vidanta never verified our ownership prior to accepting it as a "trade in." There were a lot of other issues with the "trade in agreement" as well that struck me as making it unenforceable as a contract either for or against us; I posted my thoughts on that in an older thread you can probably find easily by searching for Global Vacation. The way things worked out for us was a few weeks after we got home we were contacted by Global to offer to sell us the timeshare we had "traded in," which would have been a good deal for them (having us pay them the $900 or so as a transfer fee, plus another sales fee to keep the TS; they started out at around $2900, I believe - bottom line is they would have taken ~$3800 from us to do nothing but make a couple of phone calls and send us a couple of e-mails). In the end, we contacted Vidanta member services and told them we just wanted to keep the TS for sentimental reasons and they had Global Vacation send us an email stating that we were released from the "trade in agreement."

My suggestion to you would be to go the route of having member services cancel the "trade in agreement" and give the TS away on TUG if you don't want it; alternatively you could just keep it like we did and use it as a trader still. The amount Global wants to execute the transfer is an up front payment for something that may or may not go through. I believe that member services could twist their arms to make them do it, but they'll try to "sell" the timeshare you still own back to you unless it is one that they (or you) could sell readily on their (your) own. I've run into some folks down in NV that said it worked out for them having the TS transferred, but the circumstances didn't add up for me to go forward with it. Interestingly enough, we upgraded w/Vidanta after that and they insisted on writing up additional "trade in agreements" and voiding them as part of the transaction to justify the costs we negotiated. It struck me as an odd thing to feel you have to do for a transaction, maybe a face-saving type of action that you see in some cultures. They didn't verify ownership of the TSs we were "trading in" for the upgrade, either. :shrug:

Hope that helps.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi RusselSun ,
It is TUG - Timeshare Users Group - so keep using and adding your own information updates .

Vidanta is a family owned business with 2nd generation family members in key positions .

IMO - The sales income is used to build and grow . Right now it is the Cirque Theme Park in NV ,
after that probably Eastcape , then - who knows .
The Hakkasan - Cabo Grand Mayan partnership is the first step in a plan to add uniqueness of a different kind . That is listed to be finished / open in 2018 .

Because they can build in pesos and collect MF in USD $ - they have built enough units for peak snowbird season .This means they have unit availability in all shoulder periods and put some into exchange systems far in advance for peak times so that (IMO) sales has a steady flow of prospects

IMO - The best use a Vidanta membership week is to book peak time weeks - February every year .
Chances are , there will be new things added every year . ( and new "levels" added if you go to a sales presentation) .
Completely agree with the analysis. I've got enough weeks to book all of February and will be starting to do that next year. Anyway, during our last meeting with the sales folks, we were told the next new thing will be a group of estates, either single family homes or perhaps duplexes, in the vicinity of the Cirque park. We didn't really go into great depth speaking about that, but it might be a better use of the land across the river. We'll see if that actually happens or if something else comes up.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Completely agree with the analysis. I've got enough weeks to book all of February and will be starting to do that next year. Anyway, during our last meeting with the sales folks, we were told the next new thing will be a group of estates, either single family homes or perhaps duplexes, in the vicinity of the Cirque park. We didn't really go into great depth speaking about that, but it might be a better use of the land across the river. We'll see if that actually happens or if something else comes up.

In Rivera Maya, they are already building and promoting The Estates. It was in the Spanish edition of their monthly magazine. It is considered an upgrade to the Grand Luxxe Residence Club 1-4 bedroom two level Lofts. It is now the highest level in the Grand Luxxe “family.”

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I noticed that difference between the Spanish and English versions of the last edition of the Vidanta Traveller .

If someone on this forum is fluent in Spanish perhaps they can translate any details .

Is it fractional ownership ? Or is it full ownership like the Siebel Condo in Nuevo ,Mayan Lakes etc
in Acapulco and Puerto Penasco.

Vidanta Eastcape in Baja may have a similar long term plan .

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
They have started to build the theme park and it is inland in less valuable land. The ocean front land is too valuable to put a theme park there plus it would be too noisy. The new theme park hotels are already under construction and you can see it before you turn into the Vidanta property. I am glad they decided to build the theme park far away.

Yes, I saw the new buildings going in near the highway when we arrived today. There are so many trucks moving dirt on both sides of the entry (you can only get glimpses from a gap in the landscaping) that I could not tell just where the new park is.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I saw the new buildings going in near the highway when we arrived today. There are so many trucks moving dirt on both sides of the entry (you can only get glimpses from a gap in the landscaping) that I could not tell just where the new park is.

I noticed you own at Pueblo Bonito. We are staying at Pueblo Bonita Pacifica Spa and Golf Resort Adults Only in Cabo for Christmas week and we have access to all 26 restaurants at all resorts. We got a great deal and are just paying about $1600 for the week for an ocean view suite, including all meals and drinks for 2 people and massages. How do you like Pueblo Bonito? I read this particular resort is AAA 4 Diamond and rated 4.5 stars. I am excited bc we have never been to Cabo.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have not been to a Pueblo Bonito in Cabo, but understand that they are awesome. We bought a 1 bedroom 2 bath units at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay in Mazatlan on eBay as an overflow place for our kids to stay when we were at another resort. We stayed at PBEB once and really liked it. The eBay price was great and MF are not bad. Our kids and some friends have used our unit several times. I deposited our week with SFX the last 2 years and was able to get two 2-bderoom Grand Bliss weeks with the deposits. It is now our unit that we use for exchanges because we are not crazy about Mazatlan.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was shocked and saddened to discover that Grand Luxxe is now advertising its two level 1 bedroom Penthouse Loft and its 4 bedroom suite on Expedia. Members have been told that Vidanta would never be a hotel and would only be available for booking through members. This seems to reduce its exclusivity and makes a membership a lot less valuable and more expensive when you consider the cost per week amortizing the upfront membership fee (over 10 years) plus usage fees (that increase 4-6% per year) and contract renewal fees every 10 years. Between being able to exchange through Interval International, being able to rent weeks from members at close to member rates, being able to to buy rates for very little through other means and now being able to book through Expedia at fairly reasonable rates for a 5 star resort, it seems the Grand Luxxe is diluting its brand and exclusivity. Now there are so many ways to get into the Grand Luxxe that there is absolutely no reason to buy a membership and I think it would be a bad idea to upgrade. What do others think about this new development of Grand Luxxe being on Expedia?

Good news. Vidanta/Grand Luxxe has resolved my concerns in a satisfactory manner.

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Myan Palace, Orange lake Country Club
We signed a "trade in agreement" for a timeshare with Global Vacations when we bought into Grand Luxxe right before we found TUG. Read a bunch of posts on the subject here; some people have luck with them transferring the ownership promptly, some don't. Seems like they'll get it done if Vidanta pushes them. Ultimately we decided that we didn't want to send them money to take the TS off our hands; it's actually a very good trader in RCI points with a low MF/points ratio. The whole thing struck me as being a bit fishy in the first place anyway because Vidanta never verified our ownership prior to accepting it as a "trade in." There were a lot of other issues with the "trade in agreement" as well that struck me as making it unenforceable as a contract either for or against us; I posted my thoughts on that in an older thread you can probably find easily by searching for Global Vacation. The way things worked out for us was a few weeks after we got home we were contacted by Global to offer to sell us the timeshare we had "traded in," which would have been a good deal for them (having us pay them the $900 or so as a transfer fee, plus another sales fee to keep the TS; they started out at around $2900, I believe - bottom line is they would have taken ~$3800 from us to do nothing but make a couple of phone calls and send us a couple of e-mails). In the end, we contacted Vidanta member services and told them we just wanted to keep the TS for sentimental reasons and they had Global Vacation send us an email stating that we were released from the "trade in agreement."

My suggestion to you would be to go the route of having member services cancel the "trade in agreement" and give the TS away on TUG if you don't want it; alternatively you could just keep it like we did and use it as a trader still. The amount Global wants to execute the transfer is an up front payment for something that may or may not go through. I believe that member services could twist their arms to make them do it, but they'll try to "sell" the timeshare you still own back to you unless it is one that they (or you) could sell readily on their (your) own. I've run into some folks down in NV that said it worked out for them having the TS transferred, but the circumstances didn't add up for me to go forward with it. Interestingly enough, we upgraded w/Vidanta after that and they insisted on writing up additional "trade in agreements" and voiding them as part of the transaction to justify the costs we negotiated. It struck me as an odd thing to feel you have to do for a transaction, maybe a face-saving type of action that you see in some cultures. They didn't verify ownership of the TSs we were "trading in" for the upgrade, either. :shrug:

Hope that helps.
We’re encountering the same thing right now. This is very confusing.

In early Nov. while at RM, we were given a 14,000 discount toward our purchase by selling our timeshare through “Timeshare Resale Market”. This week they called and gave us 2choices;either pay them $3000 dollars and keep our Timeshare OR pay them $2000 and they will sell it for us.

With the first option we get to keep all the profit from this sale “because it is obviously worth a lot more than the 10k we paid for it back in 1996”. I almost laughed out loud. Plus you can go to their website and see several units for sale for 16-30k, lol
But luckily I’ve been reading all over TUG and elsewhere and see that these units are selling for peanuts.

The second option we get to send them 2k and they will sell our timeshare. If it takes longer than a year, then we’re on the hook for another MF.

I wonder if I can simply tell Vidanta that I don’t want to sell our old timeshare and tell “Timeshare Resale Market” no thank you. It seems like Vidanta just discounted the price and it really didn’t matter what we owned. They didn’t check and our old timeshare still has us on the books as owners.

We did sign an equity value agreement saying we agree to sell it but I’m not positive that this is a binding agreement or more smoke up my pants since I just called and we still own it. If it is binding, I would rather counter offer them a lower amount and keep the timeshare and then dump it for cheap rather than pay them 3k to keep it or 2k to sell it.
It’s not worth the 2k I would sell it for but the reason I signed for it was because the 14k discount seemed like a good deal.

What do you think about our issue?
Would Vidanta care if we backed out of selling the old timeshare?especially since they have no financial interest in the sale.
Would they be willing to help us out of the deal with the resell company?

Also, When we went to rescind while at Vidanta two days later, were told by sales guy that it was too late because you only get one time per ten years to start the process of selling a timeshare, and that this process had already begun and if we stop the process, we would be stuck with it till 2027.

Last edited: