TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Islander Reviews

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by amy241, Mar 7, 2017.

1. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

I have noticed the top 6 floors have floor to ceiling windows facing the ocean from the bedroom. I think these are the penthouse units. If that is the case, like others have said the only difference would be higher floor placement for premiere luxury vs premiere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    34th to 38th are listed as Penthouse floors
    27th to 33rd are listed as Luxury Premium
    19th to 26th are listed as Premium.

So Floor to Ceiling PH units would align with your observation.

3. lordstan

lordstan Guest

We just came back from a 10d stay in a 1 bedroom at the Grand Islander.
    Personally, i will not stay there again. The staff is awesome and the buildings is clean, but the rooms are smaller than the same rooms at the Grand Waikikian.
    A one Br at the GW has a dining area and a full soaking tub, olus a separate shower. The GI has a combo shower/tub with a half glass wall with a much smaller living room. I heard the 1br were approx 100sq ft smaller than the GW so they could get one extra unit per floor. The 2br i heard are the same size as the GW.
    It was very clean and modern. I prefer the extra space and the modern design does nothing for me. Also the GI is further away from everything than the GW.
    Just my 2c.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. holdaer

holdaer TUG Member

Lordstan,
    Interesting (not in a good way) that the 1BR at GI has a combo shower/tub.

The description on HGVC website for the 1BR is very deceiving, if it's really a combo. I guess a key word is missing from the description; 'separate'.:confused:

1 Bedroom - Mountain View (1BR) Size: 630 sqft Accommodates: 4

This one-bedroom, one-bathroom mountain view suite with balcony features a master bedroom with king-size bed, 50-inch flat-panel HD TV and spa-like bathroom with a sleek shower, a deep soaking bathtub, private water closet with bidet seat and elegant vanity area. The suite includes a generous living room with dining area, 55-inch flat-panel HD TV, DVD player, and queen-size sleeper sofa, as well as a fully equipped kitchen with stove, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave and washer/dryer.

5. lordstan

lordstan Guest

Yep. It is misleading. We had same room, but ocean view. 0The tub is deep but not a jacuzzi and the shower door is only half the length of the shower. To me it made taking a shower much colder. Whichever side that is not getting the water spray is cold. That plus the water goes all over making for a slippery floor.

Rereading that, i am not sure what they call a dining area. In the GW there is a separate table area along with a countertop island. In the GI, there is only the countertop island.
    The sleeper sofa mattress was very uncomfortable. My daughter slept on the sofa closed instead and said it was much more comfortable.

Imo, the size and decor seem to not be made for the "larger size", generally speaking, American population.

alwysonvac likes this.
  6. alwysonvac

alwysonvac Sighting Expert TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark,
    HGVC (Oahu & Vegas),
    VISTANA Mandatory (Orlando & Scottsdale)

Bought and sold several over the years including Disney & Four Seasons
    Interesting... Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Found a picture of the combo tub on Tripadvisor (link)

[​IMG]

lordstan likes this.
  7. holdaer

holdaer TUG Member

No wonder you had to hunt and find a photo on trip adviser, because HGVC won't show this in any photo that I can tell. Another example of why I like to go to Trip Advisor for more information.

alwysonvac likes this.
  8. lordstan

lordstan Guest

Yep. that's the one. The unit we had had the toilet with a door right next to the shower.
    I will say, the bidet was very nice.

alwysonvac likes this.
  9. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark,
    HGVC (Oahu & Vegas),

Another picture of the combo tub from TripAdvisor (link)

[​IMG]

holdaer and lordstan like this.
  10. lordstan

lordstan Guest

That is exactly what my room looked like. You can see the frosted glass of the wall/door surrounding the toilet in the mirror. There are 2 pocket sliding doors. one, that you can see in the mirror, goes into the bedroom and the other is 90 deg to the right and goes into the common area.

alwysonvac likes this.
  11. junk

junk Guest

I believe you guys have stayed the room with two full beds but the room with one king has separate bath tub and shower booth. Just FYI

alwysonvac likes this.
  12. junk

junk Guest

upload_2019-1-22_23-1-52.png
    Here we go

13. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    I already noticed the room size difference between GI and GW.

I am still holding out that I might get lucky and grab a cancellation just around the 35 to 31 day mark for the LT. I can wish or hope.

14. lordstan

lordstan Guest

You are correct. I misspoke before. We had the 1 br with the 2 full beds.

alwysonvac likes this.
  15. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark,
    HGVC (Oahu & Vegas),

I went back to my 2017 pictures. :ponder:
    We had a two bedroom resort view with 2 beds in the 2nd bedroom.

HGVC Description
    2 Bedroom - Resort View (2BD)
    Size 912-1039 sqft Accommodates 6 guests
    This two-bedroom, two-bathroom resort view suite with balcony features a master bedroom with king-size bed, 50-inch flat-panel HD TV and spa-like bathroom with a sleek shower, a deep soaking bathtub, private water closet with bidet seat and elegant vanity area. The second bedroom is furnished with a king-size bed or two double beds, 50-inch flat-panel HD TV and bathroom. The suite includes a generous living room with dining area, 55-inch flat-panel HD TV, DVD player, and queen-size sleeper sofa, as well as a fully equipped kitchen with stove, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave and washer/dryer.

The master bathroom had the separate tub and shower as shown in Junk’s picture but the other bathroom had a shower only (no tub). It was ok for us but it doesn’t mention this in the HGVC description.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  16. jestme

jestme Guest

We were there last week. 1 BR, resort view. The balcony (lanai) overlooked the roof of the Tapa conference rooms, with 3 pipes spewing out steam or something right next to the lanai. Not a pleasant nor desired view or location. The combo bath / shower isn't that warm taking a shower either as the back half of it is open to the bathroom. I prefer the GI to the GW, only because it feels closer to the village. The long hallway at the GW makes that building feel like you aren't a part of the village at all. Now if Hilton would get rid of the very annoying cosmetic "hallway chasers" near that ABC store there, it would be even more appealing.

CalGalTraveler likes this.
  17. Hsahota1

Hsahota1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGV
    0BE4E52E-570D-40AF-BFCA-A1E35256617B.jpeg 442AECB1-18E4-421F-967E-C9E4A6990F30.jpeg 50020D23-C3D3-49C9-A15B-C6AE5D914778.jpeg
    Some pics of a 1 bedroom mountain view room.

alwysonvac likes this.