• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got rid of HGVC timeshare by using deedback option

CJ Roamer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seawatch
Thank goodness I ran across a suggestion from someone who posted years ago on another site. I have an HGVC property in Florida and usually banked my week and stayed at an RCI property. Like many others I have spent countless hours trying to offload my timeshare. After several years of use I wanted more flexibility than this old model of travel allows (thank goodness for Airbnb and VRBO!) and to get away from the fees that continue to grow each year. I'm fortunate in that it was gifted to me, so I didn't need to recoup an investment. After wasting a few months with HGVC listing it for sale, and with the Jan 1 fees coming due, I got serious about digging into this.

Charities no longer want timeshares because they have the same problems we do with liquidating them. Even if you find one, you're probably going to have to pay a few hundred dollars in fees for the transfer.

I called the salesperson representing my property and asked about the "deedback" option I read about. After first trying to convince me to let her drop the price again and give it a little more time to sell, she said the property can't say that's an option (officially) but if that's the route I plan to go then I should call a specific title company, and she gave me a name and phone number.

Finally, some headway! I paid just under $300 in title search and related fees, and waited patiently. After about a month I received a copy of the registered and finalized deed - now back in the name of the property. I'm no longer responsible for fees and it's time to celebrate. I sincerely hope this helps someone else out there!

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Without knowing the details, I'd be a little worried. Just transferring the deed is only part of the equation. The "just calling a specific title company" bit is the worrisome bit. I would think the developer would handle the title transfer. But what do I know .........

Reactions: RX8

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest checking with HGVC to verify that your account has been closed. IMO having a copy of a deed is not enough...

George