• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good Trader?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My highest is 35. With RCI the tpu’s are constantly changing, so a lock off that can get 50 tpu’s today might not get it tomorrow.

That's crazy. How can people make plans if they are never sure about what they own is worth? Glad I don't have points and rarely if ever play the exchange game or belong to RCI or II.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
There was a time here when "good traders" were the rage and many of us bought in South Africa where the exchange rate meant half or less the maintenance fee and the resorts traded well. For me that time ended several years ago and now I'm in the buy where you want to go group- where you look for acceptable accommodations at a desirable location with low maintenance fees and good management.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
That's crazy. How can people make plans if they are never sure about what they own is worth? Glad I don't have points and rarely if ever play the exchange game or belong to RCI or II.
I have only rejoined RCI in the last few years and it reminded me why I left before and loved II instead.

I can deal with RCI changing tpu value they give me, their right based on supply and demand, even if I think their calculations are wrong. What has bothered me most is when I see what they will give me for tpu’s and then to trade the exact resort, exact week they ask for more. It’s an immediate reduction in my value.

I find II has always given me fair like for like trades.

One thing that I like about RCI, if you can do short term planning under 2 weeks, there are great deals to be found. For example getting a Disney Saratoga 1br for 10 tpu’s. I have read and seen them go for 35-55 tpu’s. II’s balance to this would be the free accommodation certificates that’s you pay a fee to use.

I still like trading to have an added variety but have changed most of my weeks to what I actually use.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I dumped RCI in 2007 after a hassle with my last exchange. II had been better, but now they charge $99 extra for upgrading unit size. Exchanging becomes more expensive every year and the ability to get what you want seems to be decreasing. II online search has been erratic lately and getting a confirmation via mail has been difficult if not impossible.

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, sent you a PM.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
I have a 3BR LO at Silver Lake in Orlando that gets me just under 50 on full deposit. This year was 25 for the 2BR and 23 for the 1BR. The resort gets to choose the week they deposit, and my season is non-prime, so I expect results would be better if you had a prime week. Note that the resort has always been good to me, depositing a "just-off" prime (late August) week for the past several years, maximizing my TPU (I really appreciate that SL!) I do always pay my MF's (just) before the deadline. MF's this year were a hair under $1000, including taxes ($21 per TPU).

Orlando works for us because we travel there regularly, or can easily rent our VO to another heat seeking snowbirder in the winter months.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
I believe the best timeshare to buy, is the timeshare you would want to use. In the NE, we own Brewster Green, in checking out the different timeshares, we liked BG, best of all. We have 3 weeks and we use the weeks. The property is well run and I believe it is a good trader.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you stuck on RCI? When I hear this question I know what I think automatically, a cheap platinum Marriott Harbour Pointe. Very good trading power, very nice resort on a creek with easy access to the beach. Cheap entry point of around $2k. MFs $1385. It trades into Maui and all the other top Marriott resorts. If you have to sell it you can get some money back without huge hassles. Not many TSs at that cost can you say the same thing. The downsides are the MFs costs but you really get what you pay for and it's not a LO. Some will suggest Florida Marriotts but I'm opposed to buying in overbuilt Orlando and HHI is much nicer and I bet HP trades much better as a result.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Shawnee resort .. currently managed by Wyndham, but while older, there are Fixed Week units. Week 52 pr Week 26 or Week 27. MFs are under $800 per week for a 2/2 townhouse duplex (u have 1 side). Resort has 2 outdoor pools plus a LARGE indoor graduated slope plus lap land and OPENs at 7AM everyday .. for lap swimming. Fri/Sat/Sun checkin. No added on fees unless you play bingo .. movie night is free along with the fresh popped popcorn. Many activities. Good mix of people... ages, multi-generations, families. A bit very much like the resort on the Dirty Dancing movie.

I would LOOK for a fixed week that you would USE or trade. The Wyndham points will ADDED another $100-150 yearly plus booking windows and guest certificates plus the Wyndham CWP fees.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
There's another way to think about this: If the primary use for now is only for exchange, and you need higher TPUs in RCI Weeks, why not buy a good trader somewhere else, and rent what you want to stay in on the East Coast when you want to go there? You wouldn't be locked in to any one resort, so as your wishes change, you could go where you wanted to go. The good trader would still be a good trader. If you later found something on the East Coast that is exactly what you want, you could sell the trader. and buy that.

One resort I can strongly recommend is Imperial of Waikiki in Hawaii. RCI code is 2605. The have several different types of units, but a Palm unit (1br 2ba, sleeps 4) deposited in RCI for Christmas week gets 56 TPU. Waikiki always has more demand than supply, so units tend to exchange well. MF are probably around $1000, so there's that, but if you can get 56 TPU for a deposit, you can reduce your rates a fair amount. A 2 bedroom Hala unit deposited for the same week gets 60 TPU. Even a studio Ohia unit for the same week gets 52 TPU.

Just a thought.

Dave

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea Mist, Mashpee, MA on Cape Cod, week 26 (the week after 4th of July) is 31 points. M/Fs around $700.

JoyC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Second: Sea Mist, Cape Cod summer weeks - we own for many years, well managed and low MF's.

VacationGuy

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Would suggest either Harbor Ridge in Maine (closest timeshare to Acadia National Park) or Cape Cod Holiday Estates in Mashpee (halfway between Hyannis and Falmouth, MA). Needs to be a July or early August week to get the best trading value. Harbor Ridge is only exchanged through II but is highly sought after and you can request first prior to giving up the week. Cape Cod Holiday Estates is exchanged through II, RCI and VRI and is rated 5 stars with TripAdvisor. TUG rating for CCHE may be distorted by reviews prior to the renovations being completed about 2 years ago. I can offer more information about either resort if you are interested.