• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GNP 2017

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
So went to Bowman Lake yesterday. Took me almost an hour in my rental car to travel the 6 mile gravel, bumpy, winding, pot hole ridden, 1.5 car width road from the ranger station to the Lake. I wanted to take it very slowly to not ding up the car. Very quiet at the lake and only saw a hand full of hikers while hiking. There were stretches of time of an hour or so where I didn't see anyone while hiking. I did encounter a black bear on the trail while hiking. Good thing I was regularly clapping my hands and shouting "Hey bear" while hiking otherwise I might have really startled it. It was around 75 or so feet away and went running uphill into the woods thank goodness.
Saw some kayakers and a paddle boarder while there.
I thought I would use this hike as a warm up to start off the trip as I had believed it was fairly flat. Well it turns out 13 miles of round trip rolling hills had me dead tired when I got back to my car. I was really struggling to make it the last mile back to my car. I should have turned around at the 3 mile point to make it a nice 6 mile warm up hike but didn't do that. My right ankle was bothering me at the end so I'm resting it today. Hopefully I can still do some more hiking on this trip.
The following are early morning shots at Bowman lake (assuming I have the correct links)
WrBzUJqHS7EIrdHA8NREkf55cYK9KHbVk1DH8ZJToj1G4LpsjFFb-WHIQ7nM2sHS12wvqeLeGCj-Qv1rhTlyeG0SUh8ZI5yR2pyPBMIa-feOlg6_rFYcq6kW6qzBhvkjAisNKpwVXbs

f3VdcQsFtBFgM1Nnfzr2QVy-FXpvAc2t_fQ3EeKjn_L0ZCOdvyqQ4X4sVKT1whWuLzuTMXoLTxsWgZ4NWAYRjShPsluzvUDR8YBy2hi9HV_ntYsNznP7lzdO1i5EgkdQSM2aOFv3X1s

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Very beautiful, but you shouldn't drive a rental car on gravel- it is against the rules. if something had happened to the car, you wouldn't be covered.

Also, we just learned a lesson while taking what we thought was going to be an easy walk in a White Mountain Estate property and turned out to be more of a muddy, slippery, bush whacking hike where we had to call for help to get back. We did start to back track but I was getting hot and tired and my bad leg was starting to hurt. Lucky we had cell service.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
f3VdcQsFtBFgM1Nnfzr2QVy-FXpvAc2t_fQ3EeKjn_L0ZCOdvyqQ4X4sVKT1whWuLzuTMXoLTxsWgZ4NWAYRjShPsluzvUDR8YBy2hi9HV_ntYsNznP7lzdO1i5EgkdQSM2aOFv3X1s

Very beautiful, but you shouldn't drive a rental car on gravel- it is against the rules. if something had happened to the car, you wouldn't be covered.

Also, we just learned a lesson while taking what we thought was going to be an easy walk in a White Mountain Estate property and turned out to be more of a muddy, slippery, bush whacking hike where we had to call for help to get back. We did start to back track but I was getting hot and tired and my bad leg was starting to hurt. Lucky we had cell service.

I didn't realize that about the rental car. Thx for the heads up.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
So, saw the strangest thing in Many Glacier a day ago. There was an SUV up ended at a 60 degree or so angle with its left front nose in a hole where apparently the road had given away. This is by that very rough, bad stretch of road in Many Glacier right around where the dam is. I should have gotten a picture of it but I didn't want to have an accident myself. Just bizarre. Looked like something out of one of those earthquake movies. They are doing lots of construction in that area, as well as sections on the west side of Going To The Sun road.

Greg

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
A few more pictures (still trying to figure out how to display the larger resolution for an embedded image. It's a real pain getting the single image address as you have to run it thru a lookup app). The bears were at full zoom (approx 40x optical).
The rays of light pictures I lucked out on as that day it was rainy and cloudy most of the day and then as I was coming back down the mountain later on the sun started to break thru the clouds in dramatic ways and I just so happened to be at the photo spot for Wild Goose Island and got those pictures. The deer picture was a fluke as I snapped it just as it was opening its mouth to eat something, I didn't even realize it until I looked at it later on. Run the album in More Options (the three vertical dots) -> Slideshow mode.

Album at https://goo.gl/photos/Rw1yUodXzfshkMnf9

Greg

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Always love moments when we see rays of light -- even better when captured by photo.

taffy19

Reaction score
Your pictures are beautiful, Greg! We haven't seen that National Park yet and I doubt if we will see it now. I love YouTube movies so can see it through other people's eyes.

Movies show so much more if they are done professionally or someone who knows how to edit them. This is how I saw the total eclipse hours later the other day.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Great pictures! We went to Waterton National Park one day last year when visiting GNP. It was at least as beautiful as GNP. We also saw more wild lives there: bears, antelopes, and bighorns...one bear was on the road in very close proximity while we drove by. Quite exilerating:)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Love the pics!

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Yep, Waterton National Park is on my list to visit in the future. Canada has exceptionally beautiful parks. I didn't bring my passport this time as I planned on more hiking in Many Glacier. Right now I'm looking out the balcony of my St Mary Resort room and seeing a very smokey GNP (the picture below was taken a few hours ago and the nice sunset one where St. Mary was just fine was taken at sunset two days ago ). There is even a faint smokey smell. The wind is blowing the smoke from the fire over to St Mary's. Reminds me of that line in Apocalypse Now where the Lt. Col says " I love the smell of napalm in the morning". It looked fine yesterday as I drove Going To the Sun road the full length and back . I drove over to Many Glacier today to see how it was affected and it looked fine. I plan on hiking to Cracker lake tomorrow (all day) in Many Glacier
lVOstPs2igTx_vqmR_-8n8Yxe0F5REfa_yvJckGL7EKJaQaxVuG0NHyILrNRwNdSFwPYIxyID4XDCmLldKCOHr3KU2IoF4tyHPnrrdja3aZ_GwDu5YsdN7mwcSIh8TPW_tbh036Js2M

Bd57ljPOJ3YkZ9yU-FlZXL5f1aDXqoeBUxAiuxZh84ykQJBpJ_rXK0RBtdWIi1qtDk10Z1pHQqB6grCdIoLOqrCdFwnTzZxL-dP8_c_T0hKdWdvoUAgxe2tUJNX78DVNFNUxyFDf4Cs

taffy19

Reaction score
Yep, Waterton National Park is on my list to visit in the future. Canada has exceptionally beautiful parks. I didn't bring my passport this time as I planned on more hiking in Many Glacier. Right now I'm looking out the balcony of my St Mary Resort room and seeing a very smokey GNP (the picture below was taken a few hours ago and the nice sunset one where St. Mary was just fine was taken at sunset two days ago ). There is even a faint smokey smell. The wind is blowing the smoke from the fire over to St Mary's. Reminds me of that line in Apocalypse Now where the Lt. Col says " I love the smell of napalm in the morning". It looked fine yesterday as I drove Going To the Sun road the full length and back . I drove over to Many Glacier today to see how it was affected and it looked fine. I plan on hiking to Cracker lake tomorrow (all day) in Many Glacier
lVOstPs2igTx_vqmR_-8n8Yxe0F5REfa_yvJckGL7EKJaQaxVuG0NHyILrNRwNdSFwPYIxyID4XDCmLldKCOHr3KU2IoF4tyHPnrrdja3aZ_GwDu5YsdN7mwcSIh8TPW_tbh036Js2M

Bd57ljPOJ3YkZ9yU-FlZXL5f1aDXqoeBUxAiuxZh84ykQJBpJ_rXK0RBtdWIi1qtDk10Z1pHQqB6grCdIoLOqrCdFwnTzZxL-dP8_c_T0hKdWdvoUAgxe2tUJNX78DVNFNUxyFDf4Cs
How awful to see the fires. I hope people are safe but what about the animals. So sad.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Well, the East side of GTS road looked to be very hazy looking from my balcony early today and when I get back after my Cracker Lake hike in Many Glacier. Many Glacier seemed to be just fine as I had great views on the hike.
A few of the photos from that hike starting at the Many Glacier Hotel parking lot with a picture of Grinnell Point early in the morning are https://goo.gl/photos/Rw1yUodXzfshkMnf9 . Start at the photo shown below in the album, click on it, and then hit more options (the three dots) ---> slideshow to see the few I added from that hike (got lots more but require some post processing and cropping)

7518BC66dDdGmm7lZM_2Ccl8_TOKCVwNVb-H4Q9qcXbkCOY39Cb3myBVhOQy1iMPmpcTiHB_dSA4bIjOJtlypSem2EHFSaFrfm4LRZz4KDKHwgH2e3y-9EM-6LC_arJ4Zs5NkIGP1x0

taffy19

Reaction score
All beautiful photos! Most likely not taken with your phone camera. I love the photos with the light rays too. Thank you for sharing.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
The good thing is the fire is a very small part of the park. The bad thing is the smoke from it can extend well beyond the fires boundaries. Not sure what the animals do. Some probably get trapped while others move, sad, although part of this is nature renewing things. I was getting Huckleberry ice cream after my hike and the server, said, "do you see smoke", and I told him as I was coming south down highway 89 , I could barely see more than one mountain on this side of the park due to the smoke.
Boy, I felt old, hiking the Cracker lake trail. Some younger hikers passed me going up and then on my return hike they passed me as well (although I'm more of a weight lifter, as opposed to a jogger/hiker) I did however take it easier this time, also stopped for lunch at the lake for at least 45 minutes to rest, and didn't feel dead tired after the hike. I babied my one ankle on the return hike (old injury). Didn't see any wildlife other than chipmunks and squirrels on this hike. Probably a good thing as bears would notice I was the lagger and pick me off first.:D. I did use a sun hat this time which has a wide brim and that worked really well.

Greg

Last edited:

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
I was over at the Many Glacier Hotel/trail parking lot by 7:15 am today for the hike and I'd say it was at least 80% full at that time. I think possibly people think that the east side of the park on GTS road is going to be smokey and head to Many Glacier as it isn't. At Cracker Lake I saw a guy and a gal in bathing suits (she in a bikini) at the lakes edge. Pretty daring. Again, youngsters, compared to me. Decorum prevented me from snapping a photo of her.

Greg

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
I can smell smoke from my balcony at St. Mary's Resort.

Greg

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Thanks for the comments on the pics.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
It was a good thing I took the Cracker Lake hike yesterday because pretty much the east side of the park including Many Glacier was very smokey today as I drove around checking them out. Just read that Lake McDonald Lodge is closing today, a month earlier than usual, due to the smoke from the fires. I'll see what tomorrow is like at Many Glacier for other hikes and viewing wildlife.

Greg

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Had a good day yesterday at Many Glacier on the Red Rock trail for seeing moose. No haze of smoke at Many Glacier today (thought there as yesterday). The one below was some 30 feet away from the trail and then also viewable from the side from the beach area at Red Rock Lake (need to do a bit of lightening on these but here they are as is). Also saw a Cow and Calf at BullHead Lake but much further away on the other side of the lake. St. Mary was hazed over by smoke but got some neat shots of the GTS road during that day with the smoke.
BMRQ-A0fkpyjl4C20X3OJUTiNZgCpA2Ccjzk5278fv7IyxmPin6zwRZtQYk_CX_0W8OAQgHfzj5q05_x-VdegWpUrzXRC5oNmIuuYqft105gsJKZ12ScBTLYpGJhSyKprogG8TrpzY8

hlZ7GFGCZhwiwhdBBrOSkXDP_aZL0aDBWLOlqCmvocAP35hLy5VODKiQzR7zRaf0-ly0e1PAxq41zHbj1aTPE1HbsTsgGCPM2lgaSj9rTaLEgEQKd4rDPvexnj2K5esBEWheRGMVIdg

y9wxW7q6yfOC7USMQcePkL1zNm-cwNFV2ESPu17Z58vzKSHQbtqR7kxlrve847WSdIpR13DegJWEsmtZPEyBmcKGMjSxuslzvIxt5v-R9owyDxxjOD9cZ6GjnURpBN5n38wu8IY8AXI

full size ones in album at https://goo.gl/photos/Rw1yUodXzfshkMnf9

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Awesome pics of the MOOSE!

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Maybe 10 years ago, we were at Many Glaciers at the end of the season in mid-Sept. We took the first boat tour in the morning with a Ranger on board and when we got off the boat at the upper lake, there was a bull moose to our right and a female in back of us. The Ranger kept her eye on the bull and let us know that if she yelled run, we should move it. Well, the female moose mossed around the end of the lake putting us directly between her and the bull. The bull charged at her, the Ranger yelled "run" and we did. It's one of those wildlife moments I'll always remember.
Before that, we had good views of grizzlies foraging above the lake with hikers on the trail to Grinnel Glacier both above and below bears with no idea they were so close.

Sue

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Maybe 10 years ago, we were at Many Glaciers at the end of the season in mid-Sept. We took the first boat tour in the morning with a Ranger on board and when we got off the boat at the upper lake, there was a bull moose to our right and a female in back of us. The Ranger kept her eye on the bull and let us know that if she yelled run, we should move it. Well, the female moose mossed around the end of the lake putting us directly between her and the bull. The bull charged at her, the Ranger yelled "run" and we did. It's one of those wildlife moments I'll always remember.
Sue
That is a great memory!

Greg