• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GLRC Lake Eufaula closing?

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received our second cancellation in three months from this resort. The first was due to flooding in May - which we understood but we were left hanging with travel plans to OK already made - just a day before Memorial Day weekend. Of course RCI had nothing else close by. Summer was booked so we rescheduled to October - again making arrangements and inviting family. We just got a cancellation e-mail from RCI this AM claiming they are closing or at the very least deaffiliating. If they are still open maybe we can book directly and salvage what would be a second ruined vacation. They did offer houseboats in FL which would involve more travel expenses from Texas. Anyone know the status of the OK location?
Of course RCI just sends a very blunt and shocking e-mail saying your vacation is cancelled. Too bad, so sad I guess.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
There doesn't seem to be any news on the Internet.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know - their site stills shows booking availability. I did send the marina an e-mail.
If RCI was just going to deaffiliate, one would think they would only stop taking new reservations - not cancel existing ones just over a month out - effectively screwing up their customers plans.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
RCI has the right to do whatever they want whenever they want.

20 years from now you'll be laughing about it. Maybe even make a good internet RCI friend some day because of it.

Speaking of 20 years, at least that long ago we were interested in doing a houseboat exchange, then we read how much extra was involved in it.

We see houseboat vacationers almost every day in the Summer.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I am not understanding the point you are making here. I understand that RCI can do whatever they want. And I guess maybe it is wishful thinking that if they decide to disaffiliate with a resort that they would honor close in reservations that had been already paid for - but the fact is some companies would do that. In RCI's defense, maybe we will find out that the whole resort is closed and they just never took down their site - I did see one person that indicated that might be the case.

As for your "I will be laughing about this some day" - I am certainly not laughing now because we have family members and a friend that purchased airlines tickets not once but now twice to come along on this trip and now we have to break the news to them. I am sure you know about plane ticket change fees. I feel like the boy that cried wolf cancelling twice on them.

We have done houseboat vacations in the past and always had a great time. To us it was worth the extra out of pocket for the trip. It is a unique experience and boats don't come cheap. There are several reviews indicating people had a good time and didn't have an issue with the extra fees.

We may have to try Florida but I am afraid to even approach the subject with my family now since my name will already be mud.

20 years from now you'll be laughing about it. Maybe even make a good internet RCI friend some day because of it.

Speaking of 20 years, at least that long ago we were interested in doing a houseboat exchange, then we read how much extra was involved in it.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
When RCI cancelled one of our exchanges after the Guide said that if she could confirm it would be good, I was pissed, too. I took my anger out on people at RCI, who, after all, are just people like me doing what they have been told they have to do. It got to the point where one RCI person said, "We have a legal department for people like you."

I have always hated the people like you/them (or you people/those people) phrase because it implies there is something wrong with you/them or that that speaker is somehow better/superior.

But, years later that led to a friendship with an RCI person close to that brouhaha, a lasting (15 years) Internet friendship, which years later again led to where we bought our Florida house and a week at our local timeshare for a beach club. The resort we got cancelled at has been terminated and sold off at auction. So, who's better off?

Oh, and we have had to cancel with ourselves and another couple, which involved getting passports that went unused, and I have discovered our airfare for ourselves and another couple never got booked, twice, so I feel your pain.

I do as much with RCI now as then, only different.

So, now, 20 years and 150+ RCI exchanges/weeks, I laugh about it.

Call or email the resort and get to the bottom of it.

If they disaffiliated from RCI, you would think there would be something on the Internet about it.
- - - - - -
FWIW, when this happens, RCI does try to get an alternate resort, except in this case, as in our case, there isn't/wasn't one.

I have been involved in RCI attempting to find alternate Florida resorts for people when they overbooked resorts because of hurricane damage. RCI actually offered us two future weeks of our choice if we would give them one of two we had booked. Obviously, that was back in the day, back when RCI actually had something available in SW FL in Snowbird Season, so, prior to 2005 or so.

Funny, when they tried to do that, they had called me when we were staying at OLCC, and I never answered the phone at OLCC, except to pick up messages the morning we checked out, so I was calling RCI when we were driving from Orlando to Bonita Springs, and I could tell the RCI people were spinning plates trying to place everyone.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Frankly, it's just a part of timesharing, confirmed reservations that are not all that confirmed, not that it doesn't happen in non-timesharing, just more in timesharing, it seems.