• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Glacier Canyon vs Great Smokies Lodge with children

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just spent three nights at Glacier Canyon and the kids LOVED it. So I looked up Great Smokies Lodge and it turns out that it is only a six hour drive.

How do the waterparks and the seasons compare?

We just did all six parks at GC. The kids so enjoyed the indoor parks that they want to go back in the fall. Is the outdoor season comparable at Great Smokies Lodge? And how does indoor to outdoor parks compare?

Thanks all for your advice! Our first Wyndham stay on our own points was a hit. :)

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Glacier Canyon and Great Smokies Lodge are both located with Wilderness Territory locations. If you go to the Wilderness Territory website you can view pictures of the indoor and outdoor waterparks. I believe the Great Smokies Lodge has only one outdoor waterpark and one indoor waterpark. The outdoor waterpark(s) are only open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day at both locations.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glacier Canyon and Great Smokies Lodge are both located with Wilderness Territory locations. If you go to the Wilderness Territory website you can view pictures of the indoor and outdoor waterparks. I believe the Great Smokies Lodge has only one outdoor waterpark and one indoor waterpark. The outdoor waterpark(s) are only open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day at both locations.

Have you been to both? Only a 6 hour drive is sounding pretty appealing to me. It took us 8 hours to get to GC and we flew. Sometimes it is harder to fly than drive.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you been to both? Only a 6 hour drive is sounding pretty appealing to me. It took us 8 hours to get to GC and we flew. Sometimes it is harder to fly than drive.

Great Smokies is MUCH smaller. Rooms are similar. It has view of golf courses which is nice. But waterparks might be disappointing if you were expecting Glacier Canyon size and variety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

No I haven't. But I sent my sister, nephew's wife and children, along with some friends of theirs for a ladies and children getaway at the Great Smokies Lodge. They had a wonderful time and loved the resort.

I would take a good look at the Wilderness Territory website to see what all is offered at the Tennessee location. Having been to the Wisconsin location your kids might be spoiled and not impressed the more limited options at the Tennessee location! But Dollywood amusement park is nearby.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Have not been to Glacier Canyon but we did a family reunion at Great Smokies a few years ago. I had foot surgery right before going so went to a water park and couldn't get my foot wet (the best made plans). But 30+ people and we really had a great time. Kids of all ages (2 - 30) - and us adults. ALL of the kids enjoyed the indoor waterpark - they had a blast surfing (we have a CA contingency that had to show off). There is lots to see and do around there. There was day trip to the Smokey Mountains. A group went white water rafting. Some went on a helicopter ride. There is zip lining. We never did hit Dollywood. Lots to do in Sevierville (dinner theatre - ripley's believe it or not - etc). Our room was golf view and the golfers really enjoyed the course - the little ones loved watching the carts come in (and managed to catch our group and a ride in a golf cart one day). There are also rooms in the main building (pool view). My husband is a golfer and thrilled with the golf view (but it was a walk across the parking lot to get to the indoor water park). We never did go to the outdoor water park. There is a shuttle that runs there too if you have someone who can't walk too far.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that we may give it a try. It will be our first grandparent trip. :)

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I've been to both. Great Smokies is considerably smaller and more limited than GC. The summer season is about a month longer on either end.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Have been to both. Grandsons ages through 16. Hands down favorite is Glacier Canyon. Bigger, more variety and great arcades.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, I'm digging this one out again.

I have a 4 bedroom Presidential at Great Smokies (the week before Mother's Day) and I have a 3 bedroom at Glacier Canyon (the week of Memorial Day.) We've been to Glacier Canyon.

Glacier Canyon has its pros and cons: the kids love it but we have to fly there (which is free but still.) And we have to rent a car (which isn't free.) And my travel time is around 7-8 hours. They weren't all that thrilled with the outdoor waterparks and the wave pool is there absolute favorite, with lazy rivers being next on their list.

From what I gather, Great Smokies is smaller BUT I can drive there in less time than flying out to Baraboo. Theoretically my kids don't really need two weeks in waterpark timeshares in the same month. But my two trips are too close together to be able to cancel the Memorial week trip and get my points back if I wait until we actually try Great Smokies.

Personally I'd like to try Great Smokies before canceling Glacier Canyon but there is little availability and not so much time left before the weather changes (or should.)

What would you do?

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We frequent Glacier Canyon (4 hour drive) and LOVE it, that being said there is a lot of other things to do in the Gatlinburg, Pidgeon Forge area of Tennessee. I say try something different and do GSL. Check out www.obergatlinburg.com plus the drive through the Smokies is gorgeous!!

north

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Smokies has a wave pool, and I think you are allowed to use tubes in it. That makes it into a crazy river, and a lot of fun. You are not allowed to use tubes in the wave pool at Glacier Canyon.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
May in Tennessee will be a whole lot warmer than May in Wisconsin. You can look at the Wilderness Territory schedule for the Tennessee location but I don't believe the outdoor waterpark will be open yet for Mothers Day weekend but they will be open for Memorial weekend at the Wisconsin location. If you are only going for Mothers Day weekend will you be doing other stuff in the area and how much will it matter that only the indoor waterpark will be open? In addition to warmer weather, GLS for Mothers Day weekend won't be nearly as busy as Memorial weekend at GC.

Have you considered renting the stay at Glacier Canyon? A 3 bedroom for Memorial Weekend would certainly sell. You are welcome to contact me if you need any help learning how to list stays on eBay.

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
May in Tennessee will be a whole lot warmer than May in Wisconsin. You can look at the Wilderness Territory schedule for the Tennessee location but I don't believe the outdoor waterpark will be open yet for Mothers Day weekend bu they will be open for Memorial weekend at the Wisconsin location. If you are only going for Mothers Day weekend will you be doing other stuff in the area and how much will it matter that only the indoor waterpark will be open? In addition to warmer weather, GLS for Mothers Day weekend won't be nearly as busy as Memorial weekend at GC.

Have you considered renting the stay at Glacier Canyon? A 3 bedroom for Memorial Weekend would certainly sell. You are welcome to contact me if you need any help learning how to list stays on eBay.

I was trying to figure out the May schedule but the hours aren't up yet. And when I look at this year, they had something down for refurbishment.

I just picked up a 3 nights in a couple of weeks at Great Smokies. I'm a bit nervous about bringing grandparents and grandkids to a place that I've never been so I guess that I might be able to put my fears at rest. And maybe we will have nice Fall weather to take a ride.