• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gay/Transgender Friendly Timeshares

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I am wondering which timeshare properties and locations would be most LGBTQ friendly for openly LGBTQ partners? Are there any that you would advise against?

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am wondering which timeshare properties and locations would be most LGBTQ friendly for openly LGBTQ partners?

There are definitely LGBTQ focused resorts in Puerto Vallarta . I would feel TS resorts in Puerto Vallarta would likely be LGBTQ friendly .

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Interesting question. A quick keyword search on RCI shows these all cater to gay and lesbian guests:

-- Almar Resort Luxury All Suites & Spa Adults Only #D044 in Puerto Vallarta, MX

-- Sandcastle Resort #0126 in Provincetown, MA

-- The Gardens #7549 in Orlando, FL

-- Villa Mykonos #5540 in Cathedral City, CA

There were a few others listed, but the description text does not specifically say they are gay friendly. There are probably others, but you'd have to research them.

Dave

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Color me naive. I certainly understand that there could be places that discriminate or make certain people feel unwelcome (sadly), but what does "LGBTQ friendly" or " cater to gay and lesbian guests" mean?

None of my friends that fit these categories have any needs or requirements that would need to be specially catered to, or be particularly friendly toward.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Would the other guests and the locals be comfortable seeing two men or two women holding hands, hugging or kissing like a heterosexual couple would in public? How would locals feel about seeing openly gay people whose appearance is clearly gay or transgender? Things like that. In California, Hawaii, Palm Springs, Key West, Orlando, some parts of Mexico and most big cities, this would be no problem. For example, Disney has events for LGBTQ folks. Just wondering about many other places where timeshares are located. How welcoming are places like Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach and Branson and other places to LGBTQ folks?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been on LOTS of cruises that seem to appeal to members of the LGBTQ community. Other guests and/or staff seem to treat them no differently than other guests. Announcements of such things as 'Meet & Greets' are posted alongside Friends of Bill W. Or pinochle or what movie is showing in the theater. We dine with same gender couples just like any others. It's called equality. I know that the OP asked specifically about TSs, but why should they be any different than any other accommodations? What happens inside the neighbors unit is of no concern to me, nor should it be. Anyone who gets upset by open and tasteful displays of affection has a problem of their own.

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Color me naive. I certainly understand that there could be places that discriminate or make certain people feel unwelcome (sadly), but what does "LGBTQ friendly" or " cater to gay and lesbian guests" mean?

None of my friends that fit these categories have any needs or requirements that would need to be specially catered to, or be particularly friendly toward.
I asked a friend of mine. Her response (and this is just one small thing) was someplace that doesn't ask two women, who check in together and have asked for a room with one bed, if they want two beds.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What happens inside the neighbors unit is of no concern to me, nor should it be. Anyone who gets upset by open and tasteful displays of affection has a problem of their own.

Jim

I think that's the underlying issue. It shouldn't be a problem, but in some areas, it most definitely is. It's not about what happens behind closed doors, it's the perception of those people in public. Gay people are regularly beaten or even killed outside of gay bars by homophobic people for no other reason than being the unlucky person they happened to see. Transgender people have an even harder time of it, as they deal with transphobic people everywhere. Saying the other person has a problem isn't the end of it, as it often escalates to violence of some sort. Matthew Shepard paid the ultimate price for it.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Would the other guests and the locals be comfortable seeing two men or two women holding hands, hugging or kissing like a heterosexual couple would in public? How would locals feel about seeing openly gay people whose appearance is clearly gay or transgender? Things like that. In California, Hawaii, Palm Springs, Key West, Orlando, some parts of Mexico and most big cities, this would be no problem. For example, Disney has events for LGBTQ folks. Just wondering about many other places where timeshares are located. How welcoming are places like Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach and Branson and other places to LGBTQ folks?

Jay, I think common sense goes a very long way. Discretion in public on the part of the couple will probably serve them well. Not saying they need to hide their orientation, but acting as they might in a place like Palm Springs or San Francisco during Pride Week might prove problematic. I've never seen anyone get kicked out of a timeshare for those reasons, but the people would have to decide about their level of comfort.

Dave

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Maybe I’m getting a bit older, but I don’t do a heck of a lot of hugging & kissing in public and don’t see it happening much at resorts I go to, whether it’s between different sex or same sex couples. There’s some hand holding in public, but that’s about it. I don’t think there’s much to worry about from people using timeshares; they either accept that this type of vacation method means having to be able to get along with other people that are willing to share accommodations or have access through another means (e.g., military) where they have to learn to deal with diversity anyway. I think the bigger concern should be the location rather than the resort; it’s probably best to exercise the same discretion you would staying in a hotel or otherwise visiting the surrounding area.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most timeshares are in vacation areas, and they draw a mid-middleclass and upper-middleclass crowd.
The people on TUG are in the same demographic, and I've never seen any hostility to LGBTQ folk here.

Dirty looks around here are reserved for people who get up early and put out towels to hold poolside lounges for later use.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
It generally means equal rights. Sadly, "friendly" actually means non-aggressive many times.

OP, I was going to say the places I've stayed has been LGBTQ friendly, but then I saw your other post where you named all the places that I normally vacation. It may be easier if you to name additional cities that you want to visit.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This isn't just about hugging and kissing in public, it's also about outward appearance. The only place we've ever had a problem on a timeshare vacation was in Virginia Beach: friends and I were walking down the street to dinner from the timeshare, and were verbally harrassed by a bunch of military guys in a passing car. My friend had been in the Navy in the past, and immediately recognized who this was. There was no one else on the street at the time, so it could have potentially turned into something worse.

We go to Hilton Head a lot, never a problem. We used to go to Myrtle beach a lot, no problems ever but I might steer clear of that area during Biker's Week.

IMO it's a potential problem in areas where and when there are likely to be displays of what is currently referred to as "toxic masculinity." Presley, you are correct about it meaning non-aggressive in some cases.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It generally means equal rights. Sadly, "friendly" actually means non-aggressive many times.
OP, I was going to say the places I've stayed has been LGBTQ friendly, but then I saw your other post where you named all the places that I normally vacation. It may be easier if you to name additional cities that you want to visit.
That makes sense to me. I guess I read the original post ("cater to") to mean that this group needed some special accommodations that oters wouldn't need, as opposed to being treated in a negative way. That's the part I didn't understand.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That makes sense to me. I guess I read the original post ("cater to") to mean that this group needed some special accommodations that oters wouldn't need, as opposed to being treated in a negative way. That's the part I didn't understand.

I think "cater to" can also mean "Not take an exception to, or have an issue with, same-sex couples." Years ago, I met a man who was transitioning to a transgender woman. He was the gentlest, kindest man I have likely ever met, and his biggest goal in life was to "pass" after his transition. He said he didn't want to be singled out as anything other than a woman, who would be unremarkable in public. I've always wondered how that turned out.

Dave

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

I (the OP) never used the word “cater to.” Someone else did.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I (the OP) never used the word “cater to.” Someone else did.

Actually it was my term, based on the text I saw on the RCI website. The description for one of the resorts I named says, "The Gardens is a luxurious, lakefront alternative lifestyle resort that caters primarily to gay and lesbian guests."

Dave

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As of a couple of years ago, at Westin Mission Hills (hotel) in Rancho Mirage, there were regular get-togethers for gays over dinner hours.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
On Celebrity Cruises, the LGBTQ folks gather at the Martini Bar. All (of any persuasion) are welcome Good times!

geekette

Reaction score
I personally try to avoid "family resorts" because I don't have kids and don't particularly want them underfoot. Probably avoiding prime kiddie vacation time and prime kiddie spots will help a lot since their parents (and other random guests) are more going to likely be the irritants, not the resort staff.

Best of luck, I hope no lunkhead messes with your happiness.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We are two gay men in our 60's and we own a TON of timeshares, starting out about 30 years ago. Granted, we don't spend much time in places like Mississippi, but I can't really think of a time when our sexuality has been an issue at a timeshare. Over the years (especially in Mexico) at hotels we have occasionally had to be clear that ONE bed is fine.

I'm sure there have been a few times when someone at the hot tub or pool may have decided they'd rather chat with someone else if I talked about my husband in response to some question but nothing serious enough to be burned in my memory.

I can recall a very award time at a timeshare after the last presidential election when the subject went to politics.

And I can recall feeling awkward/uncomfortable on a Viking River Cruise in 2012 at the extremely divergent from mine political views that a few folks proclaimed loudly but it wasn't anything LGBTQ specific.

Overall, I expect people to act appropriately around me and generally they do.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
FYI - I think the ones mentioned that they "cater to LGBTQ" mean that a majority of their guests are LGBTQ and if that's a problem for you please don't come.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I am wondering which timeshare properties and locations would be most LGBTQ friendly for openly LGBTQ partners? Are there any that you would advise against?

The few gay couples I know go where they want and really don't care what others think. Same as most people.

The one thing I don't like is people making out or dry humping in public. It doesn't happen very often but when it does I'm usually the guy that says loudly " you should get a room, your grossing us out ".

Bill