• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge Fires [Multiple threads merged.]

Space Coast Laurie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Capistrano Surfside Inn (Capistrano Bch, CA), The Resort on Cocoa Beach (Cocoa Bch, FL)
From Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa's Facebook page earlier today:

"As many of you are aware, a massive wildfire has spread through Great Smoky Mountains National Park and into our resort and the City of Gatlinburg. The local authorities have evacuated the surrounding area and we are still assessing the impact. Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa has sustained some damage and will be temporarily closed. Fortunately, there are no reported injuries or casualties either at our resort or in the neighboring community.

----------------

The resort will be closed until further notice and we will post more information as it becomes available. All existing reservations are being automatically cancelled through the end of the year – you will be receiving an email confirmation of your cancellation in the near future. As we determine the extent of the damage in the next few days, we will review future reservations and what we will be able to accommodate both at this resort while we reconstruct and at our other resorts.

----------------

If you have any immediate concerns or questions regarding your current or upcoming reservation at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, please call 800-925-9999 for further assistance.

----------------------------

We understand a lot of our owners have lots of questions and we will do our best to answer them as quickly as possible. In order to ensure your vacations remain as uninterrupted as possible, we will be waiving the developer exchange fee for all of our other Westgate Resorts and encourage you to make your bookings at our other properties while we finalize our reconstruction plans. We have the resources and are committed to rebuilding this resort making it better than ever.

Thank you,

David A. Siegel"

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
Seiverville is north of Pigeon Forge isn't it? Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge, and east of the town, so I would think Pigeon Forge was damaged too. it is so terrible, can't believe it.

Yes, Sevierville is north of Pigeon Forge, which is north of Gatlinburg. There is some damage in Pigeon Forge as well - some cabins near Dollywood and Dreammore Resort, and along the stretch of road between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg known as the Spur.

Here's a map for perspective (I live where the blue dot is)
upload_2016-11-29_17-47-14.png

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Just got to see a few of the pictures from the air on the news this afternoon. Heartbreaking! We are also Tree Tops owners and hope we are well insured. It sounds like we'll need to be based on the Facebook update. Our loss is relatively meaningless compared to the loss of lives, homes, businesses and livelihoods in the area. Our entire end of the state is in extreme drought conditions, approximately 11" below average rainfall for the year. Smaller fires have been burning all around us. The light rain last night did little to help the situation, but more is due in tonight. The biggest hindrance in Gatlinburg was the, at times, hurricane speed winds. It was a very blustery day all day yesterday and the firefighters did not need that. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Ober Gatlinburg - The local authorities confirmed today that Ober Gatlinburg is intact and that their animals have been moved to safety. I heard this from one of the officials who went as far as the blocked gate.

Rescue groups have been reaching out for the domestic animals (including livestock). I hope the wild animals were able to flee to safer areas before they were burned.

Sheila

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sad to see this. I'm happy for those whose homes and businesses were not destroyed but devastated for those who lost everything.

Last edited:

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
There's not much left of Westgate ...

upload_2016-11-29_20-49-43.png

Space Coast Laurie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Capistrano Surfside Inn (Capistrano Bch, CA), The Resort on Cocoa Beach (Cocoa Bch, FL)
Waiting to hear something on the various Club Chalet units. Lots of good memories. Used to own a couple different units. Daughter still owns one. We'll find out eventually. Insignificant, in the scope of so many people having lost their regular homes and places of employment, though. Tourism will be affected for some time there, unfortunately. The buildings can be rebuilt, but it will be quite a while before the forests are back to what we're used to.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I deposited two December 2016 weeks into RCI as well as two May 2017 weeks. I assume RCI just cancels my deposits and I'm out the maintenance fees? Anyone had experience with this sort of situation?

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score

We own at Oakmont....the sister resort. Called there and they are not damaged except for smoke. Headed for Wyndham Smoky Mountain today. They are not damaged. So sad about Tree Tops. I was considering adding a week there last year. I hope the owners who evacuated found a place to stay. Maybe Oakmont had some open rooms?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My heart goes out to everyone in the area and the state of Tennessee. Just heartbreaking and as the Christmas season approaching, what a way to start the holidays season.

zzcn69

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any news about whether timeshares there were burned down? Haven't been able to find any reports of damage, but there are so many timeshares there that I wonder.

[Threads merged.]

Last edited by a moderator:

ricknhsv

Reaction score
I saw on Facebook on a Tree Tops page that only Building 9 is left. They are not sure about the chalets. So sad - I have been to several timeshare resorts and this was my favorite by far.

Rick

Has anyone heard any news about the Timeshares in the area? We own at Tree Tops.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is allowing owners to cancel reservations that check in over the next few days, and returning points. They are also working with other local agencies to try and find temporary lodging for people who were displaced by the fires. If you have a use year other than Jan- it's a good opportunity to get your points back and at the same time help out someone in need. However, if your use year ends Dec 31- please be aware that the returned points may be difficult to use elsewhere with limited availability remaining at most locations for December.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I deposited two December 2016 weeks into RCI as well as two May 2017 weeks. I assume RCI just cancels my deposits and I'm out the maintenance fees? Anyone had experience with this sort of situation?
Yes, we had a timeshare in Vermont that was damaged by heavy snow, the roof collapsed and it was closed for a while. We had a deposited week with RCI. They tried to cancel my week, however I spoke to a supervisor, explained that my membership, was up to date and not my fault about the resort. I was able to trade that week. Just have to be persistent. So sorry that your resort was destroyed, looks like it was a beautiful place?
Silentg

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have an Westgate in Gatlinburg booked for next year. I guess I wait and see how the smoke settles (literally) and find out what the state of the resort is. Although checkin burnt down, as well as several other building, I don't know if the resort was completely levelled. Looks like Tree Tops did not fair well at all.

Sorry for the folks that live in the area.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was reported this morning that one Westgate Resort in Tenn. loss of 100 buildings because of the fire.

I have an Westgate in Gatlinburg booked for next year. I guess I wait and see how the smoke settles (literally) and find out what the state of the resort is. Although checkin burnt down, as well as several other building, I don't know if the resort was completely levelled. Looks like Tree Tops did not fair well at all.

Sorry for the folks that live in the area.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Comments about Gatlinburg Town Square on Exploria Resorts' Facebook page:

Steve Platt:
Could you please tell us why none of your staff notified us about getting out? It wasn't until we heard a firetruck siren that we even looked outside and saw the flames.

Exploria Resorts:
First, we're very sorry that you had to experience this during your vacation. Please know we place the safety of our guests and team above all else, and our team was working diligently to notify everyone and make sure they were safe....

Steve Platt:
If it wasn't for our neighbor pulling the fire alarm half of the people may have not gotten out. We really feel like your staff did nothing and even one of your maintenance people didn't have a clue.

Exploria Resorts:
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We're sure our team will want to evaluate their emergency response in coming days, and if you would like to EM us any of your concerns, we can share that feedback with them.

Last edited:

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Based on this news report it sounds like Laurel Point Resort may have burned.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Tree Tops and have Memorial Day week 2017 reserved. Any and all updates will be appreciated. Will check the Facebook Page.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
We own at Tree Tops and have Memorial Day week 2017 reserved. Any and all updates will be appreciated. Will check the Facebook Page.
Tree Tops hasn't been inspected yet. Unfortunately, the Roaring Fork Baptist Church, 1/2 mile walk in from Tree Tops was inspected December 1 and listed as "destroyed."

DianneL

TUG Member
Reaction score
No official info yet as far as I know but have seen pictures on tv of Tree Tops and it appears it is destroyed.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Report from Gatlinburg Town Square:
"Gatlinburg is being re-opened to business owners and residents for a brief time today.
However, there are police checkpoints to determine eligibility to enter the city."