• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Future Value of Timeshare - Orlando

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Wyndham doesn't have ROFR written into their contracts anywhere. That is bunk, as the poster above said.

I hope you tell them you don't want the trial package of points for the outrageous cost you paid for it.

My Towers on the Grove Contract is my most recent purchase, this is a deeded property under Club Wynhdam Plus. It has a right of first refusal. My earlier contracts do not have this clause. As I understand it, all Club Wynhdam Access timeshares have the clause, but I have not heard of Wyndham exercising it.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I told them this in ability to sell anything I purchase is a serious hinderance to me buying anything from them. Does anyone know what the official changes are in relationship to the resale purchases? If you were interested in acquiring more vacation / retirement locations, what options would you pursue?
You told him exactly the right thing! To further cripple the use of resale points will only make the Wyndham system broken for all those who have ever bought from Wyndham. There have been no such "official changes in relationship to resale". People who have purchased Wyndham points on the resale market are using them to stay at Bonnet Creek and all of the other resorts. There are a few things resale points don't qualify for such as VIP discounts and upgrades, but they work fine for staying at Wyndham resorts.

Wyndham sales associates have a solid reputation to lie to their prospects while trying to sell overpriced Wyndham points. They were lying to you. They lied to us. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have given them my good money!

If it's still inside your rescind window, you might consider getting out of that Discover package purchase. It's really not worth the money it costs. Figure out how much you paid per point.... then look at how many points it costs to stay at where you want to stay and see how much it rents for from current owners either here in the rental section of the forum or on Redweek, etc. Renters get the same rooms and experience in the resorts as owners.

I forgot to say...Welcome to TUG SknyTXGal !!

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only partially accurate...

Those wildly fluctuating numbers are whats used to estimate market value

Not exactly, as has already been elaborated upon and described in much more helpful and informative detail in timeos' post #68 above in this thread.

One point I was trying to raise was that a County frequently does not and cannot possibly even know the actual figures in many privately conducted timeshare resales. As I mentioned previously, many of my own deeds simply reflect "ten dollars and other valuable consideration", when the transaction may have actually involved thousands of dollars. In the instances of "deedbacks" (to HOA) and "giveaways" (to whomever), those transfers obviously cannot be (and clearly are not) regarded and assessed as "zero value" in the tax assessment process, even though they may indeed have little or no actual market value in today's economy.

Last edited:

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Craig's List. That's 1 reason we remain (minimal) timeshare owners -- so that we can keep on doing Last Call & Instant Exchange & Extra Vacation Getaway, etc.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

I'm always tempted to add more with the great deals out there right now to add more to my timeshare "portfollio". I need to keep you comment in mind, stay with what I got and rent or use last calls etc to supplement. Actually I'm skiing with my family right now on a rental and everything is going great.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm always tempted to add more with the great deals out there right now to add more to my timeshare "portfollio". I need to keep you comment in mind, stay with what I got and rent or use last calls etc to supplement. Actually I'm skiing with my family right now on a rental and everything is going great.

Just reviewed our next three weeks for timeshares. All 7 day stays - all Silver crown or better ratings, all in popular areas and in two BR/BA units if they are offered (1 has only 1 BR so we'll be in that).

Total cost for all three weeks in February, March & April? $723. Far less than the average maintenance for one week at a decent resort before any exchange fees to trade. As much as I hate to say & see it, this really makes timeshare ownership seem far less valuable than it was only a few years back. The only reasons we have hung on to our two remaining ownerships are because we want to continue to return to those resorts and the fees still represent a good value for use and to keep access to II/RCI rentals. Even an exchange fee would make the total cost too much to be a value. We do find both to be easy rentals as they are the most demanded times in high demand areas. If we don't want to enjoy them someone else will.

But regardless of the low prices of resales and some truly great resorts we just don't need any more ownerships to travel anywhere we desire. Renting takes care of that in spades now. And adding to the portfolio, even with more high value properties, also make no sense as the pressure on rentals as well as resales is nothing but downward. Buy only where you plan to use and keep even that number low. Too many good deals available without overdoing your annual obligations.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just reviewed our next three weeks for timeshares. All 7 day stays - all Silver crown or better ratings, all in popular areas and in two BR/BA units if they are offered (1 has only 1 BR so we'll be in that).

Total cost for all three weeks in February, March & April? $723. Far less than the average maintenance for one week at a decent resort before any exchange fees to trade. As much as I hate to say & see it, this really makes timeshare ownership seem far less valuable than it was only a few years back. The only reasons we have hung on to our two remaining ownerships are because we want to continue to return to those resorts and the fees still represent a good value for use and to keep access to II/RCI rentals. Even an exchange fee would make the total cost too much to be a value. We do find both to be easy rentals as they are the most demanded times in high demand areas. If we don't want to enjoy them someone else will.

But regardless of the low prices of resales and some truly great resorts we just don't need any more ownerships to travel anywhere we desire. Renting takes care of that in spades now. And adding to the portfolio, even with more high value properties, also make no sense as the pressure on rentals as well as resales is nothing but downward. Buy only where you plan to use and keep even that number low. Too many good deals available without overdoing your annual obligations.

Nothing wrong with renting if it works for you - but the proverbial TUG mantra of "one size does not fit all" should be noted. Not everyone's work or school schedule is flexible enough to allow the use of the "last call" rentals. Add in a high demand location and high demand season and rentals can get a little pricey (some are downright expensive). Toss in a normal desire to have "the best" in accommodations and the cheap easy rental scenario is not the panacea for all.

Note that I'm not saying the OP should buy in Orlando - just saying there is no one singular “best” scenario for everyone. The other TUG mantra always applies, "do some homework before you commit".

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never met anyone who thinks that. I'm sure they exist.

While I did not make the original comment you are answering about selling a car for more than you paid for it, yes it does happen. I have done that several times after driving a car a few years. It is called owning classic cars instead of recently produced cars.

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score

Agree and also with Bdh - we now own a few things:
1. DVC- Where we want to go when we want to go and need the flexability of owning to book. An YES WE HAVE to stay on site.

2. Wyndham - great flexibility and variety of resorts and the RCI portal is a big bonus. Plus we have one 45mins away that has a large waterpark.

3. Trading week, gets great TPUs for RCI trades.

We need at least 2br if not 3br units and often multiple units to go with other family (we rent to them) so believe it or not things get used quick. So it is nice to rent for a few other things. I'm so tempted to get more Wyn pts, DVC, a great trader or even a place I always want to stay. But then I weigh the commitment inability to sell easily if my needs change then say "yeah just rent". I have transfered pts from other DVC memebers to help supplement, yeah it maybe more than I would like to pay but it is cheaper then buying (new or resale) also considering the ongoing commitment - this is true for many resorts in this economy.