• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Funny how your dreams are based on your past.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I am very blessed today. I got a good education and from that was able to have a good job and a life filled with wonderful vacations.

Yet, I was raised very poor and to this day I fulfill dreams that really make no sense but are important to me to fulfill.

Here’s a case in point:

For years, I dreamt of buying a small place for cash that has a big enough yard to grow a garden. I wanted something right on the Canada US border so I can travel and escape winters. I still wanted the place in Canada so I maintain a residence and keep public health insurance. Even though I have been careful with money, I am still afraid that the bottom will fall out and I need to make sure I and my family are never homeless. To achieve this, the place must be very modest so I could afford to live on 500 or less a month.

Well, I finally achieved that dream this year. The place I bought is 750 square feet. It was left furnished as the guy I bought it from was moving to a home and wanted the right to keep it furnished. It is literally 300 feet from the US border. I am 3 minutes from the start of an Interstate highway. It has 3 heat sources; wood stove, electric and natural gas. It has 2 lots so plenty of room for a garden.

My friends and colleagues think I’m nuts. It’s probably because they never experienced poverty so they don’t plan for the worst. They think the bottom will never fall out for them. I, on the other hand, never take my blessed life for granted. I know how easily and quickly it can be lost (remember 2008?)

I always said I will vacation no matter if that means a tent and a public lands spot so my next purchase was camping gear. I can get to sunshine and no snow in about 12 hours.

So, what’s your dream that people may think is weird but is based on your past somehow?

Yes, it can include vacation dreams as we all have that.

As an example, I dreamt of visiting RVers on public lands who live on very modest incomes. I like to learn how people adapt no matter the situation. So, I booked vacations around these lands to do just that and really learned a lot and met some awesome people. I know other who dream of visiting their ancestory country.

Here’s a picture of my little house that hopefully I never need to live in (Vacation yes). It’s cute in my books and makes me feel secure:

85c674725b69da0c80d7e0a80cf2adf9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am very blessed today. I got a good education and from that was able to have a good job and a life filled with wonderful vacations.

Yet, I was raised very poor and to this day I fulfill dreams that really make no sense but are important to me to fulfill.

Here’s a case in point:

For years, I dreamt of buying a small place for cash that has a big enough yard to grow a garden. I wanted something right on the Canada US border so I can travel and escape winters. I still wanted the place in Canada so I maintain a residence and keep public health insurance. Even though I have been careful with money, I am still afraid that the bottom will fall out and I need to make sure I and my family are never homeless. To achieve this, the place must be very modest so I could afford to live on 500 or less a month.

Well, I finally achieved that dream this year. The place I bought is 750 square feet. It was left furnished as the guy I bought it from was moving to a home and wanted the right to keep it furnished. It is literally 300 feet from the US border. I am 3 minutes from the start of an Interstate highway. It has 3 heat sources; wood stove, electric and natural gas. It has 2 lots so plenty of room for a garden.

My friends and colleagues think I’m nuts. It’s probably because they never experienced poverty so they don’t plan for the worst. They think the bottom will never fall out for them. I, on the other hand, never take my blessed life for granted. I know how easily and quickly it can be lost (remember 2008?)

I always said I will vacation no matter if that means a tent and a public lands spot so my next purchase was camping gear. I can get to sunshine and no snow in about 12 hours.

So, what’s your dream that people may think is weird but is based on your past somehow?

Yes, it can include vacation dreams as we all have that.

As an example, I dreamt of visiting RVers on public lands who live on very modest incomes. I like to learn how people adapt no matter the situation. So, I booked vacations around these lands to do just that and really learned a lot and met some awesome people. I know other who dream of visiting their ancestory country.

Here’s a picture of my little house that hopefully I never need to live in (Vacation yes). It’s cute in my books and makes me feel secure:

85c674725b69da0c80d7e0a80cf2adf9.jpg

Congratulations! You have achieved the lifestyle you desired! Your cute little house looks a lot like the 964 square foot house (on 1/2 acre) we are currently renting and it is costing us $1800 per month to do so and that does not include heat, utilities, etc. !

Our new one will be just a bit bigger at 1100 square feet and on a teeny, tiny lot. A true downsizing home. I am all for simplicity! Just a little bit further north and we could have been on the border, become Canadian citizens and had the health insurance instead of these nightmare premiums we are about to have. Why didn't we think of that?

Enjoy your new place! Best of luck!

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to live in a very small beach cottage somewhere down south. For a time when I went to grad school, I lived in a 440 square foot house. Kitchen, living room, bedroom and a bathroom. Small yard, and it was perfect for a single person, in fact I never thought it was small. I want to have that again, but maybe 800 square feet with another bedroom and maybe a bigger kitchen. Sounds weird, but I've always wanted to get that vibe again.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Congratulations! You have achieved the lifestyle you desired! Your cute little house looks a lot like the 964 square foot house (on 1/2 acre) we are currently renting and it is costing us $1800 per month to do so and that does not include heat, utilities, etc. !

Our new one will be just a bit bigger at 1100 square feet and on a teeny, tiny lot. A true downsizing home. I am all for simplicity! Just a little bit further north and we could have been on the border, become Canadian citizens and had the health insurance instead of these nightmare premiums we are about to have. Why didn't we think of that?

Enjoy your new place! Best of luck!

Thank you. I have a bigger house I do live in but as I get older, I value bigger less and less. After all, what do you really need to live well? To me debt free is freedom. I was reading articles on how North American Society has gradually demanded bigger homes and larger of everything even though that means going deep in debt. Then, many become enslaved to money because if they don’t work like a dog everything is lost.

The post below wanted a cute little beach place. They are getting few and far between as the little home is mowed down and replaced with a big monstrosity. I agree though a small beach place very modest would be great. I do plan to buy a modest place in Puerto Vallarta at some point. I can’t do that in the States sadly except maybe, just maybe in Florida

My cousin as a cute 600 square foot place on Redondo Beach, CA. They have premium ocean views. They bought it in the early sixties for 1800 dollars. Today, they are surrounded by Mansions and have been offered over 3 million dollars just for the land. She will never sell as she loves the lifestyle and simplicity. Over her dead body...as she puts it.

One day, when the economy changes, many will wish they were simplier as being simplier better guarantees you keep the place and the lifestyle.

Funny you mention Canadian Health Care. Some people are so desperate to get health care, they come up from the US and try to pass themselves off as someone else who is a Canadian. I learned that from my health care client. That’s very sad. Same as when I went to Algondones where seniors flock to get dental work, meds, day surgeries. In such a great country as the US, no citizen should need to crawl into Mexico or try to pass off as Canadian to receive medical health care. That’s just wrong in my books.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I forgot to add that México has a public health care system. If you are a resident, health care is very affordable. That’s probably partly explains why Senior Americans are flocking to Lake Chapala or Ajijiji.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Our kids are away at college but I don't know how we could downsize with all of our "stuff." I value the "stuff" less and see it as a burden, but we do enjoy the roominess of our home.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our kids are away at college but I don't know how we could downsize with all of our "stuff." I value the "stuff" less and see it as a burden, but we do enjoy the roominess of our home.

You can do it. We did. You concentrate on one room at a time. You sell, donate or toss, and keep only some of what is necessary or incredibly special. We did this when we updated our former home over several years and then, of course, now with moving into a smaller home.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@mpumilia Thanks Mary Ann for your encouragement. I have followed your thread on your downsizing move and it made me exhausted just reading it! What you accomplished was amazing!

I have a strategy of going through one set of drawers or a closet a month, but that only seems to keep it from getting worse. Perhaps taking 2 sets of drawers or a closet per month would work better so if we want to downsize in several years when we retire, we won't have as much to toss and may consider moving to another location more easily.

I am now more into experiences than things, however there are still a number of items such as my mother's silver, wedding china etc. that we never use but can't yet part with it. Partly because it feels like I am giving away part of our family heritage.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@mpumilia Thanks Mary Ann for your encouragement. I have followed your thread on your downsizing and move and it made me exhausted just reading it! What you accomplished was amazing !

I have a strategy of going through one set of drawers or a closet a month, but that only seems to keep it from getting worse. Perhaps taking 2 sets of drawers or a closet per month would work better so if we want to downsize in several years, we won't have as much to toss.

Yes, I don’t know anyone who likes to go through their stuff and decide what to keep and what to toss, give away or sell.

What I noticed when I do a clean out is, “how the heck did I acquire all this crap in the first place?” Many times, I don’t even remember WHY I bought it.

Personally, I think we are all brain washed to think stuff is good. We need it. It feels good to just buy. Why do you think Jeff Bezos is so rich? Amazon is a master of sales and they make buying so easy!

I now force myself to think before I buy. I assess whether I really need it because I know I will just store it if I get the need wrong.

Timeshares to me were the same thing...”Do I really need them?” No, what I need is a vacation so I can recharge as my job sucks a lot out of me. That’s why I rent today. I can still go whenever but don’t have to go because I paid an MF and now need to clean up the points.

In a sense, do I need an emergency house?...probably not...but it somehow makes me secure in thinking I will never be homeless. At least I can resell it and not lose money.

I think I used to buy stuff just to look good. This is probably because I was raised very poor and felt I have something to prove. Well, thank god I got over that.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
@mpumilia Thanks Mary Ann for your encouragement. I have followed your thread on your downsizing move and it made me exhausted just reading it! What you accomplished was amazing!

I have a strategy of going through one set of drawers or a closet a month, but that only seems to keep it from getting worse. Perhaps taking 2 sets of drawers or a closet per month would work better so if we want to downsize in several years when we retire, we won't have as much to toss and may consider moving to another location more easily.

I am now more into experiences than things, however there are still a number of items such as my mother's silver, wedding china etc. that we never use but can't yet part with it.

The key is to no "think" too much about it when you are doing it. If you haven't used it in 6 months- get rid of it one way or another. Forget about the "but it is in such good condition"; or "it was my mother's" or "maybe my daughter could use it when she gets married" trains of thought.And forget about the "this must be worth a lot of money." It most likely isn't.

I do miss my home and my beautiful things we had there. Our house always looked kind of staged but that is how we lived. Uncluttered and neat and clean. Surrounded by some beautiful pieces. I love a pretty, well kept home. That is why the realtors said it would show well when it was up for sale. That is because we got rid of a lot of stuff as we remodeled in the previous years to putting the home on the market. I actually had a lot of empty kitchen cabinets. But as much as we did, this time around there was still a lot that had to go because of the size of our new house.

I don't doubt we still might get rid of some things when we do our final move.

A good idea for you might be to look on line at some homes or condos you think you might downsize to in the future and then picture what you can and cannot fit in them. Look at everything - the kitchen, the closet space, the wall space, etc. That could help you in deciding what you need to toss.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes, I don’t know anyone who likes to go through their stuff and decide what to keep and what to toss, give away or sell.

What I noticed when I do a clean out is, “how the heck did I acquire all this crap in the first place?” Many times, I don’t even remember WHY I bought it.

Personally, I think we are all brain washed to think stuff is good. We need it. It feels good to just buy. Why do you think Jeff Bezos is so rich? Amazon is a master of sales and they make buying so easy!

I now force myself to think before I buy. I assess whether I really need it because I know I will just store it if I get the need wrong.

Timeshares to me were the same thing...”Do I really need them?” No, what I need is a vacation so I can recharge as my job sucks a lot out of me. That’s why I rent today. I can still go whenever but don’t have to go because I paid an MF and now need to clean up the points.

In a sense, do I need an emergency house?...probably not...but it somehow makes me secure in thinking I will never be homeless. At least I can resell it and not lose money.

I think I used to buy stuff just to look good. This is probably because I was raised very poor and felt I have something to prove. Well, thank god I got over that.

I never bought anything to look good. I actually loved the things I bought for myself or at least really believed I would get use out of others. That said- After doing the downsizing I said- boy did we spend a lot of money on this stuff! I guess we never thought about the time that would come that we would have to get rid of it. Now it seems like it was such a waste of money. I suppose we could look at it as at least a lot of the things made us happy when we owned them all these years.

And speaking of timeshares, we are considering divesting ourselves of the 2 weeks we own at one of our resorts. Been thinking about it the past few years, but we still love going and postponed the decision. However, after a few other considerations, we now are pretty sure we should do so. So will be pursuing that as well.

We will just keep our one week at the other resort- again- simplifying things as we get older.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The key is to no "think" too much about it when you are doing it. If you haven't used it in 6 months- get rid of it one way or another. Forget about the "but it is in such good condition"; or "it was my mother's" or "maybe my daughter could use it when she gets married" trains of thought.And forget about the "this must be worth a lot of money." It most likely isn't.

I do miss my home and my beautiful things we had there. Our house always looked kind of staged but that is how we lived. Uncluttered and neat and clean. Surrounded by some beautiful pieces. I love a pretty, well kept home. That is why the realtors said it would show well when it was up for sale. That is because we got rid of a lot of stuff as we remodeled in the previous years to putting the home on the market. I actually had a lot of empty kitchen cabinets. But as much as we did, this time around there was still a lot that had to go because of the size of our new house.

A good idea for you might be to look on line at some homes or condos you think you might downsize to in the future and then picture what you can and cannot fit in them. Look at everything - the kitchen, the closet space, the wlal space, etc. That could help you in deciding what you need to toss.

Excellent point @mpumila. I am starting to look at 2 small places so I don’t have room to store lots of stuff. Funny, I used to have a large house with 3 garages...Why? Because I need storage for all my crap. Once I don’t need to be a storage Center, I can now think what I actually need and have plenty of room to live comfortably. You know, that kind of thinking feels good...Why? Because having the extra money in the bank feels like I am more secure and able to live experiences more often.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I never bought anything to look good. I actually loved the things I bought for myself or at least really believed I would get use out of others. That said- After doing the downsizing I said- boy did we spend a lot of money on this stuff! I guess we never thought about the time that would come that we would have to get rid of it. Now it seems like it was such a waste of money. I suppose we could look at it as at least a lot of the things made us happy when we owned them all these years.

And speaking of timeshares, we are considering divesting ourselves of the 2 weeks we own at one of our resorts. Been thinking about it the past few years, but we still love going and postponed the decision. However, after a few other considerations, we now are pretty sure we should do so. So will be pursuing that as well.

We will just keep our one week at the other resort- again- simplifying things as we get older.

What’s really nice on your thinking is you will have more money in the bank that can translate into more vacations even on a retirement budget. Good for you!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Excellent point @mpumila. I am starting to look at 2 small places so I don’t have room to store lots of stuff. Funny, I used to have a large house with 3 garages...Why? Because I need storage for all my crap. Once I don’t need to be a storage Center, I can now think what I actually need and have plenty of room to live comfortably. You know, that kind of thinking feels good...Why? Because having the extra money in the bank feels like I am more secure and able to live experiences more often.

Yup. And divesting of all the unnecessary stuff is like a cleansing. A weight off your shoulders. It is a special kind of freedom...

geekette

Reaction score

A good idea for you might be to look on line at some homes or condos you think you might downsize to in the future and then picture what you can and cannot fit in them. Look at everything - the kitchen, the closet space, the wall space, etc. That could help you in deciding what you need to toss.
oooof, 6 months?? that's a hard test, all of my winter meal cooking stuff would have just been pitched in time to need it! winter coats are bulky but I am not replacing them every winter. ditto boots, snow pants, etc.

Tools, too, I don't use every month nor every year but I am teeing up a project for the jigsaw, which I haven't used in about 5 years. the circ saw that's been idle around same length of time is going to be used in spring/summer so I can cut replacements for boards in my living room that I need to replace (but will go another wet season on first). no way I'm getting rid of submersible pump because I'm sure the basement would flood as soon as I do (basement is not supposed to flood, but water softener guys proved that's not true).

Nah, I can't dump things on a time-based rule, it's far too restrictive for me. I look more to overall utility and cost to replace, and ability to replace at 2 am on a holiday (the pump and wet vac; it was middle of the night when I needed them last time). I'm glad I kept the scrap pieces of pegboard around for several years as I just this weekend found the exact space I can use them in. I haven't gone camping in years, but now have a use for all the camp equipment that would be expensive to replace.

I can't pitch my one good all purpose dress just because no one has graduated, gotten married, or died in the past 6 months.

I also can't go on the Sparks Joy method cuz I'd pretty much only have a pillow and blankie and my car.

My hat is off to those of you that can simply dispose of things, but I can't do that.

geekette

Reaction score
to the topic, I can't think of any long term dreams I've had. I am separating dreams from goals because for me they are not the same thing. I have a dream of going on an around-the-world-cruise. It is likely going to be unobtainable forever, but, could be that some day I have a spare 25k sitting around begging for a months-long vacation...

I did just last week have a dream after someone bought me a dream catcher. I dreamed that I did so well at this upcoming art fair that I bought myself one of those heavy duty stand up sewing machines. I don't actually need it, I think the dream dangled out there to tell me that I will have sales, don't fret about it, I'll sell more than I think I will.

I don't think having a safety net house is a bad thing, especially with massive land for growing food. The place I live in now is well suited for hunker down and wait if some massive calamity shows up, so I'm in my safety net, which will feel much safer when it's paid off in a few short years.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
oooof, 6 months?? that's a hard test, all of my winter meal cooking stuff would have just been pitched in time to need it! winter coats are bulky but I am not replacing them every winter. ditto boots, snow pants, etc.

Tools, too, I don't use every month nor every year but I am teeing up a project for the jigsaw, which I haven't used in about 5 years. the circ saw that's been idle around same length of time is going to be used in spring/summer so I can cut replacements for boards in my living room that I need to replace (but will go another wet season on first). no way I'm getting rid of submersible pump because I'm sure the basement would flood as soon as I do (basement is not supposed to flood, but water softener guys proved that's not true).

Nah, I can't dump things on a time-based rule, it's far too restrictive for me. I look more to overall utility and cost to replace, and ability to replace at 2 am on a holiday (the pump and wet vac; it was middle of the night when I needed them last time). I'm glad I kept the scrap pieces of pegboard around for several years as I just this weekend found the exact space I can use them in. I haven't gone camping in years, but now have a use for all the camp equipment that would be expensive to replace.

I can't pitch my one good all purpose dress just because no one has graduated, gotten married, or died in the past 6 months.

I also can't go on the Sparks Joy method cuz I'd pretty much only have a pillow and blankie and my car.

My hat is off to those of you that can simply dispose of things, but I can't do that.

There are exceptions, of course. You have to be rational. 6 months and no plans to use it the next 6 months or ever- then get rid of it. In other words- if you have not used it in 6 months and cannot foresee needing to use it for something specific in the near future- toss it.

We had to think about our future lifestyle when we did this. Will we ever be mowing the grass again? Not likely. So sold the 1 year old lawnmower. Should we bring the gas trimmer up with us then since we are not mowing the lawn ever? Hmmmm.... talked to the realtor for our new home- and yeah- ya know- we might need it for some in between weed trimming before the lawn guys come back- so ok- we will take it. If we end up not using it after a year or so- out it will go.

I keep just one good dressy outfit in case I am invited to something that requires it, even though it is not likely. That will go out also if things don;t change in that regard.

So I am saying 6 months as a general rule and I bet it applies to most things. Certainly a year at the very most.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
to the topic, I can't think of any long term dreams I've had. I am separating dreams from goals because for me they are not the same thing. I have a dream of going on an around-the-world-cruise. It is likely going to be unobtainable forever, but, could be that some day I have a spare 25k sitting around begging for a months-long vacation...

I did just last week have a dream after someone bought me a dream catcher. I dreamed that I did so well at this upcoming art fair that I bought myself one of those heavy duty stand up sewing machines. I don't actually need it, I think the dream dangled out there to tell me that I will have sales, don't fret about it, I'll sell more than I think I will.

I don't think having a safety net house is a bad thing, especially with massive land for growing food. The place I live in now is well suited for hunker down and wait if some massive calamity shows up, so I'm in my safety net, which will feel much safer when it's paid off in a few short years.

Funny- our former paid off home was the safety net/bunker/hunker down house, with a ton of land and water on the property. We were official preppers with our food and water storage and standby generator, security system, wood stove and fireplace for alternative heat sources, and other things. I will not mention them all here.

Now I feel so vulnerable with none of this at this rental. And certainly not in our new home either- it is just the opposite of what we used to own. But what it does have that the bunker did not have is some neighbors and convenience to stores, etc. and a very large lake we can walk to and so on. And our son living nearby.

As for dreams- well- when we signed the papers for the new little house- I felt that was my dream. I really never thought we could/would do it. I always wanted to live on a lake and though we will not be on the lake and not certainly my fav lake, we are nice and close to a beautiful one. I really thought I was dreaming when we signed those papers.

Now if only the home would get finished and we could actually live in it! LOL! Then it really will feel like a dream and we can say we are living the dream and mean it.

Sometimes I feel living here in this rental is a dream- heck- so many times I have woken up and thought I was dreaming and that we really were not living here or at least were back in our old home. Ha! Ha!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
There are exceptions, of course. You have to be rational. 6 months and no plans to use it the next 6 months or ever- then get rid of it. In other words- if you have not used it in 6 months and cannot foresee needing to use it for something specific in the near future- toss it.

I keep just one good dressy outfit in case I am invited to something that requires it, even though it is not likely. That will go out also if things don;t change in that regard.

So I am saying 6 months as a general rule and I bet it applies to most things. Certainly a year at the very most.

We have been using the 6 month rule for a long time and once we retired, we checked and double-checked the things we still had. If we do not wear or use it - out it goes. There are a few exceptions - Christmas decorations do not count. (I am working on trees right now as we will be in PV 11/14 to 12/7.) Hubby's tools do not either, but the 3 neighbor guys get first choice after our sons (one already has just about as many as Dad).

We downsized when I retired and then up-sized when we moved to AZ. I do not have a lot of knick-knacks and just enough wall decor to not look empty. The closets and drawers in the 2 guest rooms are empty. :) The 4th bedroom does store my sewing and craft stuff, but none is seen unless I am using it. The huge closet off the office is my Christmas room. Full disclosure - I worked for Hallmark Cards, Inc. for 29 years and they started making Christmas ornaments the year I started. I do not have all of the ornaments they made, but do have a huge collection! I only bought 23 new ones that are in the series that I have. It takes 5 big trees and 5 smaller ones to display them. I still keep up 23 collections. :eek: Luckily, I hace space to store them all in one place. :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We grew up with some money but my father was very frugal. I have always worried about outliving my savings and having retired at 53 and done financials on paper, I am assured of a comfortable retirement. While we have a very nice 2800+ square ft condo, I often look at larger single family homes on MLS. I have to remind myself that a primary residence is a shelter and not an investment and I prefer to see our savings grow rather than spend on a larger house. I don't have a dream that is influenced from the past. I guess maybe I have been fortunate. My only dream now is for my son to have a good job and gain financial independence after he finishes his second degree next year. He is the most important person to me and source of any worry that I may have.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We grew up with some money but my father was very frugal. I have always worried about outliving my savings and having retired at 53 and done financials on paper, I am assured of a comfortable retirement. While we have a very nice 2800+ square ft condo, I often look at larger single family homes on MLS. I have to remind myself that a primary residence is a shelter and not an investment and I prefer to see our savings grow rather than spend on a larger house. I don't have a dream that is influenced from the past. I guess maybe I have been fortunate. My only dream now is for my son to have a good job and gain financial independence after he finishes his second degree next year. He is the most important person to me and source of any worry that I may have.

I hear you about your son. Ours is also a major source of worry. On top of the fact that he is really not settled financially at age 31, now his apartment complex is up for sale, as well as the brewery he works at nearby his apartment where he makes a nice amount of tips for extra money. I pray for him every day.

(I don't get this brewery. It has been open only a year right in the town- a college town no less- and they fixed the place up so nicely and recently added on to it.)

geekette

Reaction score
We have been using the 6 month rule for a long time and once we retired, we checked and double-checked the things we still had. If we do not wear or use it - out it goes. There are a few exceptions - Christmas decorations do not count. (I am working on trees right now as we will be in PV 11/14 to 12/7.) Hubby's tools do not either, but the 3 neighbor guys get first choice after our sons (one already has just about as many as Dad).

We downsized when I retired and then up-sized when we moved to AZ. I do not have a lot of knick-knacks and just enough wall decor to not look empty. The closets and drawers in the 2 guest rooms are empty. :) The 4th bedroom does store my sewing and craft stuff, but none is seen unless I am using it. The huge closet off the office is my Christmas room. Full disclosure - I worked for Hallmark Cards, Inc. for 29 years and they started making Christmas ornaments the year I started. I do not have all of the ornaments they made, but do have a huge collection! I only bought 23 new ones that are in the series that I have. It takes 5 big trees and 5 smaller ones to display them. I still keep up 23 collections. :eek: Luckily, I hace space to store them all in one place. :)
Seems like some major Sparks Joy there! I really wanted to work for Hallmark; I'm envious! I think it would be a fun walk down memory lane to put the ornaments up! I have a few HM ornaments, Peanuts series.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

One thing I just did today to clean house was check all my subscriptions. You know, monthly payments on stuff that you are aren’t using. This includes some wasteful insurance products and credit card yeArly fees.

You know, to my surprise, I cancelled over 200 a month in non used, useless or not needed stuff.

My, my, my...it’s amazing how many little payments leads to over 2400 a year savings. That’s enough for another vacation....yay!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

I am now more into experiences than things, however there are still a number of items such as my mother's silver, wedding china etc. that we never use but can't yet part with it. Partly because it feels like I am giving away part of our family heritage.

Take photos of them and make a special album. Keep one special piece but not the whole set. We have a friend who had several pieces of family heirloom silver flatware framed (together) and hung it in her dining area.

Last edited: