• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Full-face snorkel mask on sale at Amazon

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about snorkeling, but I saw this full-face snorkel mask on sale at Amazon and I remembered there had been a discussion about them a while back. Maybe someone wants one! (BTW, this is not an affiliate link, I don't get anything out of you buying the mask.)

https://www.amazon.com/Atlin-Compat..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=78P444S8B7ADY7PSFT73

I'm in the market for a new snorkeling mask since mine got busted earlier this year. I have previously considered the full-face mask. I might just do it. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I spoke to a few folks using them on Maui. Lots of positive responses.

edit: darn typos!

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a fee folks using them on Maui. Lots of positive responses.

Anything they liked, specifically? Completely happy with the mask that has served me for years, so curious how, if possible, it can be approved.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I don't know anything about snorkeling, but I saw this full-face snorkel mask on sale at Amazon and I remembered there had been a discussion about them a while back. Maybe someone wants one! (BTW, this is not an affiliate link, I don't get anything out of you buying the mask.)

https://www.amazon.com/Atlin-Compat..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=78P444S8B7ADY7PSFT73

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't bought these yet but I think I might. My buddy was using the full face mask on a recent trip and he really liked it for snorkeling. I like to submerge occasionally and the regular snorkel works really good for that. I'm not sure that the full face mask is good for a 14 - 20 foot quickie dive but I guess I will soon find out.

Bill

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Great visibility and they don't fog up, BUT you are moving more air and some people complain about feeling claustrophobic because they can not breathe properly. You WILL notice a difference breathing, and may not be able to keep the mask on as long as a snorkle. My wife and I each bought one, and we notice after a short while we feel like we're not getting enough oxygen. I think the large volume of air from inside the mask means you take in more carbon dioxide, and will feel the need to come up for air.

Last edited:

lawren2

Reaction score
A snorkel mask needs to be tried on to make sure it works. Let's face it, some of us have larger noses than others or thinner or fatter faces. I had bought one one line and suffered leakage.

I strongly suggest going to an exposition like the one they have annually in NJ: http://www.beneaththesea.org/

Because certain dive shops favor different vendors I find expos to have a much more diverse selection.

If anyne needs corrective lenses I have a fabulous lady. quick and accurate based in the San Diego area.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Anything they liked, specifically? Completely happy with the mask that has served me for years, so curious how, if possible, it can be approved.
Better visibility and less getting fogged up was what they were saying. They also noted a "learning curve" to getting used to it. I may try one next time just to see if it fits my narrow face better than a regular snorkel.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Better visibility and less getting fogged up was what they were saying. They also noted a "learning curve" to getting used to it. I may try one next time just to see if it fits my narrow face better than a regular snorkel.

That "learning curve" may be what I'm talking about. I'd be curious to hear how you feel about the breathing. I don't like it, unless I'm in really shallow water and I can just stand up and take a deep breath. I don't like these in deep water

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought one and took it to hawaii this year. My DD wore it on the night snorkel and she is a very petite woman and she had some trouble with leakage. I wore it when we went to captain cook and I loved it. One thing we both liked was the ability to mount the go pro on it. We got amazing videos at both captain cook and the mantas

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought one and took it to hawaii this year. My DD wore it on the night snorkel and she is a very petite woman and she had some trouble with leakage. I wore it when we went to captain cook and I loved it. One thing we both liked was the ability to mount the go pro on it. We got amazing videos at both captain cook and the mantas

Can't comment on this snorkel mask as I've never used one, but the last remark caught my eye. As an avid diver & snorkeler, I've never seen any video from anyone, including me, from a snorkel/head mounted camera that produced 'amazing' video. The camera follows your head/neck, thus the result is jerky video. Always. It doesn't matter how still you attempt to keep your head. Hand held video is difficult enough to attempt to minimize the jerky video. But at least it isn't twitching and jerking constantly. However, I'm sure this would fall under the category of 'to each their own'. Glad you like your video. Mine made me nauseous. Then I bought a good handheld device, and practiced. ;)

Last edited:

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried one and didn't like it. I concur with the feeling of not getting enough air.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the technique to purge water from this full face mask?

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
I'm content using my conventional dive mask with corrective bifocal lenses and finis snorkel. I am on the email list for a company that has an even better black friday sale price for full face mask http://www.scubatoys.com/products/5678-st-full-face-snorkel-mask/ Given its much lower price than Amazon, I am sharing the link.
Jack

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I think the large volume of air from inside the mask means you take in more carbon dioxide, and will feel the need to come up for air.

Of course you do.....that's a scientific fact. The outside air is mixing with the exhaled carbon dioxide, and that oxygen-diluted mixture is what you are breathing. You cannot subsist doing that for very long. You are doing a "slow version" of the same thing as what's happening when you cover your head with a paper bag (no outside source mixing). I think the concept is somewhat lacking, frankly.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: jme

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course you do.....that's a scientific fact. The outside air is mixing with the exhaled carbon dioxide, and that oxygen-diluted mixture is what you are breathing. You cannot subsist doing that for very long. You are doing a "slow version" of the same thing as what's happening when you cover your head with a paper bag (no outside source mixing). I think the concept is somewhat lacking, frankly.

Agreed. The more I look at this thing, the more it becomes clear of an example of a solution in search of a problem. I'll take the HUD mask and dry snorkel, thanks ;)

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's not a full face snorkel mask.

I'm pretty well convinced the full face snorkel mask is a gimmick. Sort of like a gasoline powered turtle neck sweater, or fur sink.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I don't know how much air there is in these full face masks vs a snorkel though. The section that you look through is sectioned off from where you breath, isn't it? So there may only be a slightly larger volume of air space in these full face masks, but I wouldn't think that much more. When researching these myself though, I had read similar reviews and complaints about breathing with the full face masks. Regular snorkels have similar issues because you can never expel all the carbon dioxide up the tube, so you are breathing in more CO2 than normal with every breath. However there is a company, http://www.kapitolreef.com/ that sells an interesting snorkel with an inner tube. Fresh air comes down the outer tube and the expelled CO2 goes up the inner one.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can't comment on this snorkel mask as I've never used one, but the last remark caught my eye. As an avid diver & snorkeler, I've never seen any video from anyone, including me, from a snorkel/head mounted camera that produced 'amazing' video. The camera follows your head/neck, thus the result is jerky video. Always. It doesn't matter how still you attempt to keep your head. Hand held video is difficult enough to attempt to minimize the jerky video. But at least it isn't twitching and jerking constantly. However, I'm sure this would fall under the category of 'to each their own'. Glad you like your video. Mine made me nauseous. Then I bought a good handheld device, and practiced. ;)
I would have to agree. Also, video from a head mount isn't going to be as close to the fish as you would probably want it to be. I like to be able to use a pole or some other mount that can get deeper in the water so I don't have to.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much air there is in these full face masks vs a snorkel though. The section that you look through is sectioned off from where you breath, isn't it? So there may only be a slightly larger volume of air space in these full face masks, but I wouldn't think that much more. When researching these myself though, I had read similar reviews and complaints about breathing with the full face masks. Regular snorkels have similar issues because you can never expel all the carbon dioxide up the tube, so you are breathing in more CO2 than normal with every breath. However there is a company, http://www.kapitolreef.com/ that sells an interesting snorkel with an inner tube. Fresh air comes down the outer tube and the expelled CO2 goes up the inner one.

Negligible. Do the math.

http://www.mathwarehouse.com/solid-geometry/cylinder/formula-volume-of-cylinder.php

Do you snorkel? How long are your outings? Ever had any issues? Any idea of how many years standard snorkels have been around? How many complaints have you heard of? vs. this full faced thing, and the issues surrounding it, considering the number of years they've been around?

Last edited:
Reactions: jme

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Well, usage and science aside....

The full-face masks do not pack very well (IMHO). A regular mask and snorkel is much more compact and forgiving in the suitcase from my experience.
We pack pretty tight and can't really accommodate larger scratchable items very well.....

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought one for my wife last year. Reasons were several. I watched videos from France before they were available in US. The problem they solved was the fear of putting the head in water.

I tried for years to get my wife to snorkel. But the look of terror on her face when faced with putting her face in the water mad me feel bad.

The other thing was that the conventional snorkel hurt her mouth.
With the full face she was able to snorkel for half hour at a time.

I talked with the manufacturer of another full face mask and asked about the carbon dioxide problem.

He said their design addressed the problem. Sorry can’t remember brand.