• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Free- Hono Koa, Maui 2 bed, 2 bath

clareh65

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 bed/2 bath floating week at Hono Koa to give away.
This is a Palm unit with every year usage, beginning immediately after closing on transfer.
Maintenance fees $1321 and taxes $144 are paid through September 2019.
Seller will pay LT Transfers to complete all transfer paperwork.
Resort transfer fee negotiable.
Trades with II or RCI
We have owned and enjoyed this timeshare for 20+ years and would love to pass this unit on to someone who will be able to make good use of it in the future.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you heard if there is going to be a Special Assessment to repair the damage to the wooden platform and water access that was damaged during the King Tides?

clareh65

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you heard if there is going to be a Special Assessment to repair the damage to the wooden platform and water access that was damaged during the King Tides?
My understanding is it is just $100/year.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
It is surprising that the management company doesn't accrue reserves for things that could wear out or which are unlikely to be permanent structures. I would suspect that anything made of wood would not be considered "permanent" structures and would need eventual replacement. I personally would prefer higher MF and fewer surprises.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It is surprising that the management company doesn't accrue reserves for things that could wear out or which are unlikely to be permanent structures. I would suspect that anything made of wood would not be considered "permanent" structures and would need eventual replacement. I personally would prefer higher MF and fewer surprises.
Same crappy management company as SOK. But I love the people at the resorts themselves and the people who answer the phones, just FYI.

There was a sinkhole that formed and was discovered about 3 years ago. The sinkhole required a lot of back-fill and a new retaining wall, which will be set back about 15 feet from the current retaining wall, taking the strain off of the wall closer to the ocean. I don't know if the engineers think that area will fill with ocean, or if it will literally create little tide pools with the splash. Donna and Leni in the office seem to have no clue what exactly is happening and what the result of water nearer to the buildings will be.

The water eroded that wall, which became less and less effective. Hono Koa sits about four feet above the water. That sea wall was going to go, sooner or later. The water hitting that wall was sometimes so loud, you couldn't hear the TV in the living room (in our Koa units, anyway). We had to close the windows to watch TV at night.

The wall gave in after one particularly bad year of pounding ocean. The first catch of the problem seems to be the neighbors next door at Hale Ono Loa. The HOA there said any problems resulting from erosion would be Hono Koa's fault. Soleil had to act. No one's fault, just what it is. Ironically, now Kainoa Properties is trying to empty the resort of owners altogether. They are upselling them to SOK.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Same crappy management company as SOK. But I love the people at the resorts themselves and the people who answer the phones, just FYI.

There was a sinkhole that formed and was discovered about 3 years ago. The sinkhole required a lot of back-fill and a new retaining wall, which will be set back about 15 feet from the current retaining wall, taking the strain off of the wall closer to the ocean. I don't know if the engineers think that area will fill with ocean, or if it will literally create little tide pools with the splash. Donna and Leni in the office seem to have no clue what exactly is happening and what the result of water nearer to the buildings will be.

The water eroded that wall, which became less and less effective. Hono Koa sits about four feet above the water. That sea wall was going to go, sooner or later. The water hitting that wall was sometimes so loud, you couldn't hear the TV in the living room (in our Koa units, anyway). We had to close the windows to watch TV at night.

The wall gave in after one particularly bad year of pounding ocean. The first catch of the problem seems to be the neighbors next door at Hale Ono Loa. The HOA there said any problems resulting from erosion would be Hono Koa's fault. Soleil had to act. No one's fault, just what it is. Ironically, now Kainoa Properties is trying to empty the resort of owners altogether. They are upselling them to SOK.

Disclaimer: the following is my personal opinion. From your description, it seems like the wall should be replaced (or repaired/augmented) and that it needs to extend further below the water surface. Some engineering, but not (IMHO) exactly rocket science. Sometimes engineers will put "kinetic energy absorbing" large rocks in front of sea walls to soften the energy hitting the wall -- and making the noise. Again - - some engineering but not rocket science.

Do you know if they are they selling the former Hono Koa owners deeded weeks or selling them weeks that are enrolled into RCI points?

clareh65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seller will pay half of maintenance fees for Oct 2019-Sept 2020 for a transfer completed before September 30 2019

Ahuihou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hono Koa

Ahuihou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hono Koa
Cindy, do you know, does Hono Koa have a sunset clause and if so what is the implication of that?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Cindy, do you know, does Hono Koa have a sunset clause and if so what is the implication of that?
According to some owners we met in March, there is a sunset clause, but I don't know when it takes affect (what year). I think our friends might know more about the clause, but it should be in your contract.

The land lease is going to be an issue at some point. SOK bought their land and saved that fee every year, but I don't know what their fees are now without that payment.

We used to have a terrible time reserving our Koa units for specific February dates and had to call exactly one year out, at the moment the phone back opens at Soleil. We have had no problem getting February this year. We literally saw a week showing as available for two months for President's Week and another for early February. Something is going on at HK.