TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Forbes article: States most people are moving from and to

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by DaveNW, Apr 15, 2018.

1. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    I read this article with interest. (Link at the end.) Based on a moving company's scheduled trucking appointments, they have the top 10 each of states people are leaving, and those they're moving to. In a nutshell, it's as follows. Do you agree with the list?

Dave

Leaving:

10. Wisconsin
    • Total Moves: 3,285
    • Percentage Moving Out: 54.5%
    9. Utah
    • Total Moves: 2,118
    • Percentage Moving Out: 55.7%
    8. Kentucky
    • Total Moves: 2,837
    • Percentage Moving Out: 56%
    7. Ohio
    • Total Moves: 6,684
    • Percentage Moving Out: 56.2%
    6. Massachusetts
    • Total Moves: 4,567
    • Percentage Moving Out: 56.3%
    5. Kansas
    • Total Moves: 2,370
    • Percentage Moving Out: 56.7%
    4. Connecticut
    • Total Moves: 2,866
    • Percentage Moving Out: 57.1%
    3. New York
    • Total Moves: 8,381
    • Percentage Moving Out: 60.6%
    2. New Jersey
    • Total Moves: 4,723
    • Percentage Moving Out: 62.9%
    1. Illinois
    • Total Moves: 8,157
    • Percentage Moving Out: 63.4%
    Moving To:

1. Vermont

2. Oregon

3. Idaho

4. Nevada

5. South Dakota

6. Washington

7. South Carolina

8. North Carolina

9. Colorado

10. Alabama

Original article: http://www3.forbes.com/leadership/t...79336&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=referral

mpumilia likes this.
  2. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    In the past , demographically, it was the 18 - 30 year old people moving for training, education and marriage followed by the 30 - 60 year old people, which was the largest demographic, moving for work followed by the over 60 years old people, which were only about 7% of the total demographic moving to retire.

In the past, WA and ORE had an influx of people moving out of CA. Their homes in CA sold for very good prices. They often bought nice homes in our area and remodeled. It was a good time to be a contractor in our area. This kind of drove property prices up.

I know a few people my age and older that have moved for better weather. It has been a fantasy of mine to move to somewhere warmer but my family is rooted here and I do like it here most of the year. I guess I will need to be content with being a snowbird.

Bill

mpumilia, ottawasquaw and DaveNW like this.
  3. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark

I'm actually one of those. I have lots of family here in Washington state, but I also have brothers who now live in Southern California. I get texts asking if I'm doing anything today, and I say "It's still raining." I've been saying that since October. (Not to take anything away from the northeasterners, who have been getting snow just as long.) My brother in San Diego then sends a picture of his sunny backyard, and complaining that his big choice for the day is deciding which pair of shorts to put on, followed by a tongue-sticking-out emoji. I really hate him sometimes. ;)

Dave

clifffaith, mpumilia, turkel and 3 others like this.
  4. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We are in one of those net inmigration states. And my town/area is the fastest growing in the state. We have unemployment at 2%. It was expected that our population would hit 50,000 in 2025. We hit that number last year. Growth is good, but along with the new people come unexpected, and on some level, unwanted problems. Public transportation lags demand. Water & sanitation services are stretched. New schools just can't be built fast enough - though it seems like a new one opens every month or two. Wages are going up because employers want to lure, and keep workers. It seems like there is construction everywhere and new stores and restaurants open every week- even as Macy's and Sears closed and pulled out of the mall.

Now if we could just attract an airline that actually went somewhere we wanted to go.

Jim

Firepath and mpumilia like this.
  5. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Same story here. Added to that, there are people who move to my small town who then commute more than an hour's drive to Seattle to work because they can't afford housing there. But housing here has gone up considerably this last year, partially due to supply and demand. Houses with what I consider inflated prices go up for sale, and are sold within days, at or above full asking. The County Auditor sent me the tax bill for the coming year that raises my property taxes by nearly 15 percent. A large part of the increase is for property value, but the greater part is for infrastructure, like schools, fire departments, and such. It's a real problem for some.

Dave

mpumilia likes this.
  6. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Among the thoughts / conclusions I've had since reading that article - the states that people are moving to are not more similar to the states that are best for retiring to. Although to be fair, those lists are built on widely varying criteria....

From AARP (Best to Retire to):
    1. Florida
    2. Colorado
    3. South Dakota
    4. Iowa
    5. Virginia
    6. Wyoming
    7. New Hampshire
    8. Idaho
    9. Utah
    10. Arizona

mpumilia and silentg like this.
  7. Carol C

Carol C TUG Lifetime Member

I moved to coastal SC three years ago and can see that traffic has. maybe doubled in that time...not just during tourist season. Four months of mild winter weather has snowbirds building nests down here...and they start out thinking theyll keep the place up north and spend so much they cant afford upkeep of two homes...and then they really have to settle for just one home. After this winter of discontent with named winter storms. to the letter X its a safe bet the northern migration to southern coastal areas will increase.

8. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    In New Jersey, most local moves are done by small intra-state movers or friends & family help... hence would NEVER hit the percentages used by inter-state large movers.

Company moves are paid for and generally, use major interstate movers ... even in NJ as HR might have contracts to keep costs down.

9. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

I don't know if you want to share this personal information on a public forum or not but, what is the closest major airport where you live?

10. Passepartout

SLC, 240/miles in Salt Lake City. We have an airport, but with just 4 flights a day to, you guessed it, SLC.

11. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We just got back from San Diego. Oh my gosh, we picked the week to be there. Absolutely gorgeous weather! Now, if they could just do something about the traffic (and the home prices) I'd move there in a hot second.

GregT and DaveNW like this.
  12. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    And that, my friend, is the problem. I spent ten of my twenty Navy years in San Diego, and really liked it. (That's how my brother got there - he came for a visit and never left town.) Looking back, I should never have sold my house there. I'd be set for life now. <sigh>

Dave

13. Luanne

While we were walking around we'd look at the real estate pictures. Of course they're going to show the most expensive show places. One was for a place for over $10 million!!! The picture just showed a table with 4 chairs on what looked like an outside patio. As dh said, that would be 2,500,000 per chair.

wackymother likes this.
  14. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    It's crazy how prices have climbed. A house I owned there in the late 80's sold for just over $100K. It's been sold several more times over the years, and last I heard, it had sold again for something like $750K. Yowser! It was nice, but it wasn't THAT nice of a place. ;)

Dave

15. Luanne

Condos are going for over a million, if they are in the right area.

16. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Kind of reminds me of my son's starter home he bought last year. New development in a lousy neighborhood, a very narrow tandem garage with zero lot which won't even fit an SUV. He paid more for that home than the one I bought in 1999 in a really prestigious neighborhood. Mine was one of the cheapest homes in that neighborhood. Similar homes in my old neighborhood is now seling at 3x what I paid for. I sold it about 4 years ago when the real estate market started to recover and I should have hung on to it. My son said I should have kept that home for him but he does not like old homes with the maintenance that goes with it.

17. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Isn't the tallest building in your area the Mormon Church steeple ? I have a few friends that have moved to Twin Falls but not in the city. One of my inlaws dad started building houses out by Shoshone Falls and the Canyon Rim Trails. They had an air plane so getting around wasn't an issue. Gail passed away a few years back but his wife loves the area so she stayed.

Bill

18. Bucky

Bucky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    All I know for sure is there are tons of folks moving to N.C. At least in the Raleigh area. I drove 9 miles to a golf course on Thursday and passed no fewer than 6 new subdivisions being built. We have the ResearchTriangle Park bringing in highly paid tech people, three major university’s (UNC, Duke& NCSU) and three major hospitals in the immediate area. But unfortunately as usual, the infrastructure now needs to catch up.

amycurl likes this.
  19. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn
    And SC.

20. Passepartout

Probably. #2 would likely be a grain elevator somewhere round. I think 3 floors is bout as high as any building is going to be for a while. That area out by Shoshone Falls and the Snake River Canyon in general are building with leaps and bounds.

21. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

CalGalTraveler likes this.
  22. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

In my dreams, there is light rail that basically follows the I-85 corridor connecting both the downtowns and the airports of Charlotte, Greensboro, Durham and Raleigh to each other, with lots of transit-oriented development around it..... *sigh*

It's a beautiful dream based on sound research, but we'll just add more lanes to existing highways which has been proven in study after study to only add to congestion long-term, because reasons.

Bucky likes this.
  23. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    amycurl likes this.
  24. Luanne

Just realize what was being purchased was the land, not the building. Still crazy pricing for Fresno.

25. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

My friend bought his home in Fremont back in 2001 for about 780K and I thought it was crazy. Now it is going for more than 4x of that.