• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FMM tourist visa if using CBX (San Diego) port of entry

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
As I understand it a FMM tourist visa is required for stays longer than 7 days in Mexico.
My wife and I will be flying to Cabo from Tijuana using the CBX bridge to cross the border.
Since this will be a domestic flight within Mexico is the FMM card still required? (no customs in Cabo at domestic terminal 1 arrivals/departures)
I understand the form and fee can be filled out and paid at the CBX terminal. Has anyone done this in the last few months? How long does it take to process the application and pay the fee?

It's also available online but I do not trust any financial transaction made in Mexico.

Any insight or recommendations from a recent CBX user?
Thanks
OB

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm curious where you heard this. Haven't visited Mexico recently and have no plans to do so, but when I did some checking it looks like no visa is required unless you are staying more than 180 days.

From the Mexico International Travel website:

TOURIST VISA REQUIRED:

Yes, if visiting for more than 180 days

So, then I looked up FMM and it looks like it is a visitors permit, not really a visa.

People who come to Mexico for leisure or business visits lasting 180 days or less, and who are passport holders of one of the many countries which don’t require a visa to enter Mexico can complete Visitors permit, known as Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM, at the port of entry.

• If you arrive in Mexico by land, you will need to get a visitors permit at the port of entry;
  • If you fly to Mexico, air crews on international flights hand-out the visitor permit forms before the flight lands, and they are also available at Mexican airports, near the immigration desks
  • If you are visiting a Mexican port(s) as part of a cruise ship, you’ll need to get a visitors permit at your first Mexican port of call.

Dh and I took a cruise that had a couple of stops in Mexico a few years ago. I do not remember having to get a visitors permit at that time, but it could be that I'v just forgotten.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Fee for Mexico’s Visitor Visa (FMM)
If you arrive by land and leave Mexico within 7 days of your arrival date, there is no fee for the permit. If you fly into Mexico from overseas, the fee is usually included within your air ticket’s “fees and surcharges.” The fee is approximately US$25.

Sorry I misspoke It's not a visa but a permit fee.
I know the US airlines flying into Cabo include the FMM fee in your airline ticket but when you are crossing the private bridge to the TJ airport to catch a domestic flight who knows how long you are staying? In the past before CBX existed they never collected our airline issued FMM permits when we returned by the Otay Mesa land border crossing.. The bridge works great at 28USD/RT/person but by the time you include the FFM fee now 25-30/person it appears to be a higher cost than just flying out of SAN (San Diego). I have tickets for both options but am now thinking of abandoning the outbound domestic Volaris flight and leaving from SAN but I am also considering the 2 hour wait to clear customs in Cabo vs walking out of the domestic terminal and heading for the beach.
cost vs convenience and time waiting in line.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Yes, you need the FMM (basically it's a tourist permit) if you're staying more than 7 days. Price is built into the fees if you enter by air and aren't a Méxican citizen. It's usually issued for 180 days, but that's totally up to the immigration agent you get. They can, and sometimes do, issue it for far fewer days. Some people are living in México and not going through the process to gain residency. Instead, they're using the tourist permits and crossing the border every 180 days, then coming right back. Some of the immigration agents don't agree with that method, and might issue the FMM for a week or two instead.

There's an immigration checkpoint in CBX. I'm a resident of México, and they won't do the FMM the way they're supposed to for me at this crossing (it's a different process for residents), but I'm betting that they will issue one to tourists (and collect the fee).

My thoughts on using CBX - unless you have a significant savings by using this crossing, I wouldn't use it. If you're coming/going from/to San Diego, you have to pay for a shuttle or uber. There's a cost to use the crossing. There's the cost of the FMM. Then there's the time involved in the whole process. Of course, if you live in the area, it would be a good option.