TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Flooding on Kauai [Merged]

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Almond123, Apr 15, 2018.

1. flindberg

flindberg TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Bali Hai
    Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
    Thanks for this!

2. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    Maui (Government) has an official site with closings and advisories, I didn't include it because there are currently no closings or advisories for Maui....except for the NWS flooding/rain advisory for the State of Hawaii.

3. Carol C

Carol C TUG Lifetime Member

Some years ago we stayed at a timeshare in Princeville for a week in April. All week winds were 45 mph sustained with 60 mph gusts. Driving rain impaired visibility and there was dense fog. Not interested in ever going to Hawaii in April...and now this week with 32 inches of rain in 24 hours...yikes...it's bad there!

4. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    I agree it's awful weather, but it's also EXTREMELY rare to have this sort of thing happen to this degree.

Dave

5. Carol C

Lets' hope it stays "extremely rare" and not a new normal due to climate change. Kaui's Congressional rep Tulsi Gabbard has put out a call for monetary donations for relief efforts.

6. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Your experience a few years ago and what has happened this year in Hawaii in April is contrary to the historical weather data for Hawaii in April. In April on average Honolulu gets about 1 inch of rain which is less than 1/2 the amount that it gets in the winter months. We are usually in Honolulu during the winter months and we have been there this April and have never experience so much rain while we are there. We have no car so that the constant rain has put a hamper on our outdoor activities since we usually walk or bus to everything. It has rained just about every day either during the day or at night. It rained again tonight. Those people who are in denial about global warming need to wake up and recognize the fact that something is different in the weather and that the oceans are rising whether it is global warming or just screwed up weather patterns. It is happening!

7. Carol C

I feel really awful about island nations that will be wiped out if the seas keep rising. Kauai is part of the USA (for better or worse) and FEMA will help with disasters there. But places like Tuvalu come to my mind, and they have even had to move ancestral graves as the sea swamps them with every big storm. Yes I too believe in undeniable science...all indicators point to rapid climate change happening NOW.

8. meatsss

meatsss TUG Member

I think you’re confusing weather with climate. Freak storms happen. It wasn’t all
    that many years that rains caused a dam to break near Hanalei. Current science isn’t showing any rapid rise in sea levels. Climate change occurs over much longer periods of time.

9. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 20 wks: Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks
    It wasn’t that many years ago when it was the opposite and all the islands were in a severe drought.

controller1 and LisaH like this.
  10. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    For 10 of the past 12 years, the drive from Kahului airport to the Ka'anapali Beach area was Pacific Ocean on one side and dry brown vegetation on the other side. The last two years that dry brown vegetation has been a lush green!

slip likes this.
  11. meatsss

meatsss TUG Member

Any update on the conditions in Hanalei? We'll be there next month, staying down in Poipu, but always like a day going to Hanalei and Ka'a beach.

12. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

The road to Hanalei is fine - but the road past it (to Ke'e) will be closed for approximately 3 months - the last schedule that I saw said it would open in October, although it may open in increments before then.

13. Blues

Blues Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Just got back. Everything up to Hanalei is back to normal. But the road is closed from Hanalei Bay to the end of the road at Ke'e. We took a boat trip from Anini to the Na Pali coast and back. You could see major slipouts all along that road. And you could see construction taking place. I think it will be a long time until the entire road is open again. Google maps says end of the year, but I think that's just a placeholder. And probably optimistic.

But, as I said, everything else is pretty normal.

ETA - Denise, it looks like we crossed while posting. Where did you hear October? Sounds very optimistic to me.

14. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

I saw a published work schedule online, and it said October - have no idea if it is accurate.

Is the road to the Hanalei Pier open now? It was washed out and needed major repairs:

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.39.25 PM.png

15. Blues

Blues Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

You know, although we went to Hanalei Beach several times, we never wandered as far as the pier. So I don't know.

16. KevinB

KevinB TUG Member

The road to Hanalei pier is only open for locals.We parked at the northern end of Hanalei beach and walked the beach, we were there last week. Some of the houses on the southern end of Hanalei beach are in very bad shape. Its a shame, such a beautiful area.

17. Chrispee

Chrispee Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Ah darn, we’re going at the end of August and Tunnels Beach is our favourite!