• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon in late November

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Through a combination of factors, we have a trip to the Grand Canyon scheduled for late November. One of the most important reasons we want to return to the area is the last opportunity we had to see the sights in the area was on a very compressed schedule. Now we have 5 full days to take in all the splendor of the area.

Obviously, first and foremost on the agenda will be the canyon itself. We plan on visiting GC entering from the east or south and then just taking our time on a leisurely day seeing all the canyon has to offer. A hike or two is in the plans assuming weather allows which hopefully won't be a problem on the south rim in late November (but we are talking about weather after all so anything is possible...). As previously stated, the most important goal of this visit is to enjoy the visual beauty that is the Grand Canyon.

Among the other entries on the to-do list are the Lowell Observatory and Sedona.

But my question to y'all is this - what suggestions might you have for such a trip in late November? Any can't miss destinations?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I liked walking the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We didn't climb down into the canyon but did walk from Yaki Point to the Lodge. For us, Sedona was better hiking. We hiked all over Sedona area and enjoyed all of the views. There is so much to see. The little city called Jerome was a fun visit.

Bill

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Our previous visit was in July and there was NO way I was hiking into that inferno in the canyon. I hope it will be much more palatable in November.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
The last time we visited GC we were based in Flagstaff. Unfortunately only had lunch in Sedona itself but did enjoy the drive through Oak Creek Canyon. We did enjoy Jerome and combined it with a visit to Tuzigoot and Montezuma Castle. Nearer Flagstaff is Walnut Canyon and further to the east is Meteor Crater.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If you can do Petrified Forest National Park I recommend it. (especially with the Painted Desert and Blue Mesas- spectacular). Though I was not there in November.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you can do Petrified Forest National Park I recommend it. (especially with the Painted Desert and Blue Mesas- spectacular). Though I was not there in November.
..and along the way, I"ll go standin' on a corner!

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Agree. The Turquoise Room at La Posada is not to be missed.
I have a friend who used to live in Flag. She'd drive over on a Sunday afternoon with friends for lunch. I need to get back up there!

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in the lodge and regret it. If you like camping in a tent, you might like the lodge. There are hotels right outside the gate to the Grand Canyon. I wish we had stayed there.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We stayed in the lodge and regret it. If you like camping in a tent, you might like the lodge. There are hotels right outside the gate to the Grand Canyon. I wish we had stayed there.
Which lodge?

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO

Good prospects for a nice GC ( South Rim) visit with some caveats. Are you a day tripper staying in Flagstaff or are you staying at south rim lodge/nearby hotel?

Temps of course will be colder with season & altitude of the Colorado Plateau. More important is late November daylight begins to shrink below 10 hours; sunrise past 7AM & sunsets at 5:30PM & shrinking. All of this adaptable. Should be less visitors this time of year and you could hike a bit below the rim. Keep in mind altitude acclimation for the trip back up.

The unpredictable part is Winter storms that can pop up any time potentially changing road conditions not only at GC but affecting the I-40 & drives south on I-17 & 89 south thru Oak Creek Canyon. So a fulfilling GC visit is indeed quite possible, but have a back up itinerary if the weather gods are unkind to you.

The temptation out here is trying to do too many things as the days zoom by. Distances are greater here & drives cruise control cozy, but one doesn't want to be in the car all day as there's trails and things to see/experience.

As to other things to see, Wupatki National Monument is some 20 miles due north of Flagstaff on the US 89 & could include a stop near sunset crater. The Wupatki ruins are interesting & the desert landscape is beautiful. If you've rented a SUV you could also drive on a forest road near the ruins to grab a look at the Little Colorado River some 7 miles distant.

If staying in Flagstaff, 2 day trips to Sedona environs could fill the rest of your stay as there's lots here and in Cottonwood. The "scenic" drive to Sedona is the 89A south thru Oak Creek Canyon, down the switchbacks & off the Colorado Plateau ( called Mongollon Rim locally ). Nice drive in daylight. Fast route down ( or back to FLG ) is I-17 & AZ 179 to Village of Oak Creek (VOC) and Sedona.

We live in VOC and hike all over the place here. If you have any Sedona hike questions PM me and I could suggest a few things.

Enjoy your AZ visit,

barry

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

We stayed in a cabin at Bright Angel Lodge (first week of December) because we wanted to be right on the rim of the canyon, and it was the only room available. It was an adventure (a step up from camping), but we were rewarded on our sunrise and sunset walks!

IMG_20171202_170006171 (2).jpg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We stayed in a cabin at Bright Angel Lodge (first week of December) because we wanted to be right on the rim of the canyon, and it was the only room available. It was an adventure (a step up from camping), but we were rewarded on our sunrise and sunset walks!
We stayed in El Tovar and it was fun. That's why I'm wondering which lodge tompalm stayed in that was such a disaster. We wanted to see the sunrise and were able to roll out of bed and go down and watch from the front (or would it be back?) of the lodge. For awhile it was just us and the deer mule, then other people and the elk moved in.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be out there alone really is magical, isn't it? The night sky over the canyon was beautiful, too, but the smoke that made for spectacular sunrises and sunsets made stargazing less than optimum.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
To be out there alone really is magical, isn't it? The night sky over the canyon was beautiful, too, but the smoke that made for spectacular sunrises and sunsets made star gazing less than optimum.
To be honest I was underwhelmed by the sunrise. I don't know if we caught it on a bad day, or a bad angle, but it just wasn't what I expected. It certainly wasn't like the picture you posted.