• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Five Questions to Ask if You Plan to Retire in 2013

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
i realize that there are a lot of questions to ask before retirement, however, i would like to share my experience with you:
my dad had all the same questions about finance, lifestyle, etc.
he worked all his life (since age 16) . he was really worried that he could not afford to retire so he put it off for 3 more years when things would be more financially appropriate to his lifestyle. at the end of 2 years 11 months he died of a massive heart attack. he never got the chance to retire and enjoy the fruits of ALL the years he worked. right then and there, i came to realize that if YOU wait till EVERYTHING is EXACTLY the way YOU THINK it should be, FATE may not agree with you. learn to live with what you have,ENJOY today because TOMORROW is not promised. JMO

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting questions, but some of those questions should have been asked years and years ago, not just before retiring.
I find that not enough people think ahead,and don't obtain any retirement planning advice.
Irish, very well said. We know too many people that also decided to wait before retiring for whatever reason, and when they finally did retire were dead within 2 years!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Irish, I absolutely agree with you! Thanks for sharing your dad's story.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's one of the many things we never know until it's too late to do anything about it. I'm sure happy I pulled the pin at 62.

Reaction score
Another thing about retirement... the body begins to break down. So, you need adequate insurance to take care of it. Medicare alone is worth poo. Every October 15 - December 7, insurance companies roll out their MedicareAdvantage and Prescription Drug Plans (PDP).

As soon as the person is eligible for Medicare, sign up for BOTH Medicare Part A and B. Then, start looking for the most cost-efficient MA or PDP plan. I worked for United Healthcare, and in most of the USA, we offered ZERO premium MA plans. I helped several Senior Citizens take a huge chunk out of their monthly medical costs simply by switching to our MA plans. The great thing about that is if you don't need it, you don't pay for it!

So, not only do you need to prepare for the financial side, you also need to take care of the health side.

TS

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Agree with early retirement, took a buyout at 58 and plan on enjoying in my 60s while I'm still healthy.

Just watched my dad spend his 70s with medical issues (not able to travel like he planned), and now all that extra income from waiting is going to the nursing home in his 80s.

All these planners look at financial only, quality of life is just as important to enjoy the results of a lifetime of working and saving.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the article misses at least one point. I don't agree that it's an all or nothing proposition. Everything I read talks a bout the new retirement, a semi-retirement where you may work less hours and make less money, but you end up reaping the health benefits of not working full time and still don't deplete your savings. Plenty of people do something entirely different than they did for 40 years...

And I agree that no one knows how long their health will be good enough to do all you dream of doing, so those who have adequately financially planned should not be afraid to retire as they have planned.

Just my thoughts.

geekette

Reaction score
I have a story like Irish's - my dad worked for one company his entire adult life, they were good to him and he was good to them. semi-retired at 62 and consulted when he wanted to, meanwhile, worked on packing up the family home, prepping the retirement lot, designing the home.

he dropped dead at 66 one week before breaking ground on the retirement house.

so, yeah, you never know.

Stop and smell the roses, enjoy The Now.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Good questions but the first is the most critical. Retired for the first time @ 55 with a reduced pension because I wanted to, consulted probably 55-75% of the time because I wanted to, almost fully retired again @ 65 because I wanted to and enjoying every minute of now not working much at all.

Spend three months skiing Steamboat every winter and just started building my own airplane to keep busy the rest of the year. My activities fit my budget and if they don't, I select other activities that do. ;)

Cheers