• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time to Maui & Kauai.. rental car needed?

juri57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the receipt:
Mazda MAZDA5 2009
Trip start Wed, Feb 14, 2018 10:00 AM

Trip end Sun, Feb 25, 2018 4:30 PM

Pickup location 33 South Vineyard Boulevard Honolulu, HI 96813 United States

Return location 33 South Vineyard Boulevard Honolulu, HI 96813 United States

Distance included 1500 mi

Guest Don Schlesak

• Trip price $495.00
  • 12 days @ $41.25/day
  • Trip fee $17.19
  • Protection Declined
  • Trip total $512.19

Ricon456

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBC
Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be heading to Hawaii to celebrate an anniversary. It is the first visit for each of us. We will be staying one week at MOC (1 BR oceanfront, new tower) and one week at KBC (1 BR).

To those that have been to either location, I ask you the following:

1) Is a rental car needed? If so, which company has the best prices? Is a car needed for the
entire week?
2) Which unit/floor would you recommend in each location?
3) Recommended things to do?

Thanks so much for your help!

Tom

Tom I am a KBC owner (1BR) There are lots of shops within walking distance but if you want to site see I would recommend you get a car. The Bus is good if you just want to go somewhere to shop. I would recommend units A103, A107, or B108. C Building has no view because of a fence and the other B units have the afternoon sun going directly into the units. If you have any other questions about KBC just ask.

As for things to do we like to snorkel the most. right out front on beach 1 to the left or inbetween 2 and 3. see lots of trutles. go first thing in the morning its calmer befor the trade winds that start up about 10 - 12. then after lunch go and do some of the other site seeing. three places we like to eat are Maui Taco, Cafe'olay, and maui fish and chips in the plaza next to KBC they have Garlic Fries to die for.

Rick

Last edited:

newavalon68

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be heading to Hawaii to celebrate an anniversary. It is the first visit for each of us. We will be staying one week at MOC (1 BR oceanfront, new tower) and one week at KBC (1 BR).

1) Is a rental car needed? If so, which company has the best prices? Is a car needed for the
entire week?

Tom
Tom-

Lots of great advice already posted regarding rental cars and places see. Since this is your first visit, a couple of great books to consolidate travel advice : "Maui Revealed" and also "Kauai Revealed" both by Andrew Doughty.

https://www.hawaiirevealed.com

Read advice in the book for any advanced reservations you might need to make.
Make your first stop at Costco after you exit the airport in Maui and Kauai....they often have great money saving gift cards for local attractions and restaurants....not to mention the best prices for gifts and souvenirs to take back home.
Have a great anniversary trip !

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good call, tater.

Ditto on Kaua'i's Hanalei Bay & Ke'e Beach, as I mentioned earlier..... both breathtaking......
Ke'e is as good as it gets, worth spending better part of a day. One of our fondest memories.

...and for Maui, ditto also for Merriman's ----instead of reservations, we elected to go early for the 3-5 Happy Hour, sit in the bar area,
at a 2-top (high top) on the wall across from the bar. GREAT TABLE at front corner!!! Ari took great care of us......We got there at 4pm, had a drink or two with the cheese plate app, and chilled until they started serving dinner at 5----- a most wonderful dinner. Recommend the seared sashimi tuna, Wow. Can order full menu from bar or bar area....then we walked outside to "the point"----the deck outside which is waterfront, and just hung out a while----gorgeous views 180 degrees. One of my favorite spots on the island. I would come back to Maui just to go to Merriman's.

Thanks!

Merriman's below:
(deck is far larger than photo shows,
with plenty of 4-top tables, and also a couple of
small private sofa/chairs/drink table areas)

View attachment 6120

View attachment 6121View attachment 6122

Addendum: Per personal recommendation from "taffy19", whom we met today (so sweet!!!!),
there's also a great restaurant down the coast about 45-50 min away in Wailea called Gannon's----
very similar to Merriman's (great food, great views), just farther from MOC.
We plan on going there "next time"!
Thanks taffy19, our newest & very special TUG friend!!!!!

Last edited:

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the info and photos of Merriman's. My husband and I were seeking a restaurant to celebrate our 37th anniversary. I made reservations for dinner at 5pm on April 18. We can go to Happy Hour first and hopefully have front row seating in the dining room for our anniversary. Reservations seem to go fast so I made reservations for a second night the next week. It sounds like a special place!
We will arriving in Maui on April 17 and leaving on the 29th. We added a 5 day condo rental to our week at Marriott Ocean Watch-Napili Towers. (Interval exchange)
I am so glad we found this thread!

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

entire week?

Tom
When will you be at MOW? We will be there April 22-29, also celebrating our anniversary.

purduealum91

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much fellow Tuggers for all of this great information. Although our trip isn't until July, I am going to jump on making reservations.

Tom

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thank you so much for all the info and photos of Merriman's. My husband and I were seeking a restaurant to celebrate our 37th anniversary. I made reservations for dinner at 5pm on April 18. We can go to Happy Hour first and hopefully have front row seating in the dining room for our anniversary. Reservations seem to go fast so I made reservations for a second night the next week. It sounds like a special place!
We will arriving in Maui on April 17 and leaving on the 29th. We added a 5 day condo rental to our week at Marriott Ocean Watch-Napili Towers. (Interval exchange)
I am so glad we found this thread!

Great! You won't be disappointed.

I think Merriman's is THE best restaurant near the Lahaina area, and the reviews I've researched suggest the same. Don't miss it.
Map to Merriman's:
https://goo.gl/maps/3yYo3shujuA2

Also make reservations at The Plantation House (Kapalua) for dinner one evening----it's in the clubhouse of the famous Kapalua golf club which hosts the annual PGA golf tournament, and you won't find anything like it ANYWHERE. Great food, great service, amazing view.
We also went there for brunch two different mornings----simply awesome!
Hours for Brunch>Lunch 8am-3pm...(brunch available until 3).
Being a clubhouse, it's just a more quiet, relaxed, refined, & romantic experience, but with amazing views.
It's only a 14 minute ride (at most) up the coast to the beautiful Kapalua area (nearby is the Ritz Carlton, so you know it's an exclusive area).
MOC resort is located off Hwy 30, and the entrance to the Kapalua golf club is also just off Hwy 30.....(2 turns!)
Entrance looks like a nice neighborhood entrance with a simple stone wall sign...easy to find, no problem at all. Turn left out of MOC, then turn right into golf course/restaurant entrance, can't miss it. You WILL thank me for this one, too.
Map to Plantation House: (it's only 8.3 miles)
https://goo.gl/maps/nDt2TsF4qA92

ASK FOR WINDOW TABLE....it's open-air and spectacular!
This is only a partial view....it's even better in person,
seeing hillsides left & right---almost European in feel.
Brunch is amazing experience----great food, and then COFFEE while taking in this view! (Bonus: Prices very reasonable---lower than most restaurants around.)
20150712_1355451-e1437423499682.jpg

Photos
:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....1.64.psy-ab..0.1.75...0i8i30k1.0.VHCKb5fPkNM

More photos
(TripAdvisor):
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...tos;geo=29220&detail=404377&aggregationId=101

And if you REALLY trust me, try 808 Grindz Cafe for breakfast, also. It's a street or two off Front St in Lahaina. (We parked in the gated outlet mall parking lot, then walked about 3 blocks to Grindz. Very small, a wait, but highly rated & worth it---great food & service, and inexpensive! Any store in mall can validate the parking ticket so that it's free. Great way to park for free when visiting Front St.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x79552bba1f4fd8b5:0x55d95fed74a0c587!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNjLA-DoerZQgE6mX3lJECgYgJVDha-ktwrm8F0=w568-h320-k-no!5s808+grindz+cafe+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNjLA-DoerZQgE6mX3lJECgYgJVDha-ktwrm8F0&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPuqy577PaAhXJ2VMKHWIACwYQoioIuQEwCg

Fun to walk around the Front St. "strip"....lots of great shops, restaurants and historic buildings.
(open-air Kimo's restaurant is a good one for lunch---
has great water view and nice drink/food menu!!!)
Front St.:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fro...j77PaAhUDXlMKHVm3Aj8QsAQIkQE&biw=1280&bih=675

Kimo's: on Front St.
https://www.google.com/search?q=images+kimo's+maui&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjujamQ7bPaAhVC4VMKHbp_AEkQsAQIZg&biw=1280&bih=675#imgrc=_

And........Don't miss walking farther down the strip to see one of the largest
Banyan Trees in existence......As you may know, the huge limbs branch out and touch the ground, then take root and become another tree. Well, this one tree now consists of about 20 trees, and takes up an entire city block---underneath the tree branches of that one tree is the park!

Banyan Tree, Lahaina:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...T767PaAhXH3FMKHSDqCisQsAQIJg&biw=1280&bih=675

banyan-tree.jpg

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
There is an 808 Grinz Cafe in Kihei too so are planning to try it before we leave. We enjoyed meeting you and your wife too, Marty.

Reactions: jme

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Nice! Been looking for a good brunch and been wanting to walk/hike the old golf course.

blondietink

Reaction score
A rental car is a must for both islands. So much to see and do, why limit yourself to sitting at a resort all day? Also, depending on the season, if it is raining in one part of the island, you can just hop in your car to go to another part of the island where it is not raining. We did this on Kauai as we stayed on the north shore. Rained every day, so we drove to the east, west and south shore to have fun at the beaches and toured around. We booked through Costco travel as soon as we had our travel dates. Just keep watching as the prices will fluctuate the closer you get to your travels. We have had good luck in that the rental car prices went down substantially after we made the initial reservation. We got a mini-van on both islands for less than half of the original rental. $330 each plus taxes for 11 days on each island. The only Hawaiian Island I might consider not renting a car is Oahu, depending on where your hotel is. All the others need a rental car.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
On Kauai, if driving around exploring, I highly recommend the Shaka Kauai app for your phone. It houses several GPS based narrated tours. Download the app for free. Each tour you decide to take is $5.99 to downloand, then it works without any data, just via GPS location. At various points along the way, your Shaka Guide will tell you about history of the area, where to turn off to see certain sights, take hikes, when to turn on various roads, where to get a snack, etc. Best $5.99 I spent today. Took the Waimea Canyon tour via the Shaka app....was great.

They also have the app for other islands (Maui, Oahu, etc)

Here are some great shots from our Waimea Canyon tour today.... The last pic is the top of the waterfall you can see in the second pic. It was a recommended 1.8 mile (each way) hike down into the canyon. Pretty cool, but it did get a bit more challenging on the way back up as it started to rain on us and the trail got a bit muddy with water running down it...so always be prepared.

41424924581_e20f090e16_c.jpg

27553236418_ec5e8ac1c6_c.jpg

26553773227_79b766e5a0_c.jpg

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Great pics!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off subject, but there are several Maui experts chiming in here on restaurants. I have a snorkeling question. Has anyone here used Redline Rafting?
I found the company on TripAdvisor. Redline Rafting uses rafts to get small groups out to the Molokini Crater for snorkeling. If conditions are good, you get to snorkel the backside of the crater. The reviews are amazing. According to what I read, the larger boats cannot go to the back side of the crater.

Trip sounds more adventurous, but possibly a little rough and check-in is at 6:30 all the way down in Kihea. Still debating getting up at 5am.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
What time of year? The winds generally determine which side is 'best', but the early launch minimizes that for a given day. In the winter snorkling on the inside is the norm. The other issue is not only the steep drop-off on the outside, but some serious currents that will take you far from Maui. ;-)

Last edited: