• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time to Maui & Kauai.. rental car needed?

purduealum91

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be heading to Hawaii to celebrate an anniversary. It is the first visit for each of us. We will be staying one week at MOC (1 BR oceanfront, new tower) and one week at KBC (1 BR).

To those that have been to either location, I ask you the following:

1) Is a rental car needed? If so, which company has the best prices? Is a car needed for the
entire week?
2) Which unit/floor would you recommend in each location?
3) Recommended things to do?

Thanks so much for your help!

Tom

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Kauai, uber is pretty cheap, and the resort is right next to the airport with free shuttle service to the resort. If you want to explore and spend time at beaches, a car can be useful, but if you are spending most time at resort, a car is just going to sit in garage. There are tours available that pick up at resort (like Kauai movie tour) and others. In Maui, it will likely depend on what you want to do. It will cost about $60 each way for a shuttle to and from the airport. Uber is not widely available, nor cheap. (yet) Rental car prices can be astronomical, depending on when your reservation is (spring break can approach $800-1000 per week). You can easily get around the west coast using the Maui bus system, $2 per trip, which would get you into Lahaina and up to Napili. However, if you want to explore the road to Hana, or snorkel down by Kehei, a car is useful. We've done without a car for many years, but during a long stay (more than a month) we like to rent one in the middle to go back to Costco or head to one of the beaches away from Kaanapali.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Maui...

When are you going?

1. Yes for first visit, unless you’re just staying at resort for downtime. Use any of the car pricing sites and book rental early. The track with https://www.autoslash.com/ and adjust as needed.

2. High floor, but if trading in via II, then unlikely, depending on dates.

3. Tons of info on here, but I’d start with the Hawaii forum and search.

If you want to work hard:

Volvano first morning while still jet lagged
Road to Hana..all day
North loop from Kahului back to Kaanapali (our favorite)
Luau
Warren & Annabelle Magic Show
Whales in winter, Ultimate Whale Watch for small boat trips or Pacific Whale Foundation
Snorkeling...beach or trips
Paia and /or Upcountry Day Trip

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Highly recommend a car. In Kauai there are so many non-tourist spots to visit and it allows you to stop and stay at places you want to look at.
Same for Maui. Our best memories are from visiting places that were not on tours.

If you get a car, get the GyPSy Guide app. Lots of small places and you also learn about history. Without the app we would have never heard about some of the best beaches we visited or learned about Saimen and the best place to get it. They have one for both Islands.

For Kauai, if you plan to do a Helicopter tour, do it early as it makes it easier to understand the island. There are places you can only see from the Air and it was worth it.
We used Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours. Their office is across from KBC. The aircraft is a four seater, so if it is just you and wife you get a private tour without having to pay extra.

The other advantage of a car is you can hit farmers markets and places like the Shrimp Shack on Kauai.

Also, if you go to Kauai, talk to Joey the Activities coordinator about good local places to visit.
If you like Ukulele music, he can tell you where some of the best folks are performing.
We went to Rob's Good Time Grill - It is a dive bar with great food and great live music.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Simply put: you need a car on each island. Without one, you will be landlocked at your resorts and miss much of what each island offers. You need it to buy groceries, to visit beaches, and to go to most restaurants. I have visited each island a dozen times or more and wouldn't be without a car on either.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yep, A car for the whole time on both islands.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, rent a car.

As to "cheapest" and "best". My standard recommendation is:
1. Check Costco travel (if you have a membership). Book the "cheapest" at the time.
2. After you book the car rental, go to AutoSlash.com. Use the tab to "track a rental". You can enter your Costco rental there, and AutoSlash will monitor and send you emails when they find a cheaper price. If you don't have a Costco membership you can also go to AutoSlash first and have them do a search for you.
3. Check DiscountHawaii. Some people get better prices there.
4. Keep checking back even after you've made a reservation.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Yes, for BOTH!

Been to Kaua'i (Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club), had a car and definitely needed it. Drove all over island for various things (Luau, Botanical Gardens, etc) and to the gorgeous North Shore (to see Princeville resorts, Hanalei Bay, famous & beautiful Ke'e Beach).......and more.

We are on Maui right now as I speak, 2 nights to go, have a car and again, definitely needed it. We've driven up to Kapalua and beyond for 4 meals (highly recommend Merriman's--amazing view/great food & bar, & also Plantation House at famous Kapalua Golf Club---another amazing view/great food--brunch and dinner!), and spent the entire morning today walking around Front Street shops and restaurants (park at Outlet Mall and get free parking validation ticket from a shop)----recommend Kimo's for lunch--great views, and 808 Grindz Cafe for a fantastic/inexpensive breakfast--great food!). Two or three times we've driven around, whether to the Safeway grocery store, Outlets of Maui, Lahaina Cannery Mall, or simply to see the coast, etc, etc.

Cannot imagine being without a vehicle. For Maui we were lucky enough to get a medium SUV (Jeep Limited) from Alamo for the week for $400 thru Expedia (prepaid a tank of gas), done online about 2 months ago. In Kaua'i years ago we also had a jeep thru Expedia, much less expensive, I think Enterprise.

Below: our Maui jeep......
upload_2018-4-5_19-16-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-5_19-15-6.png
    upload_2018-4-5_19-15-6.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 44

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
In Maui...Rental car prices can be astronomical, depending on when your reservation is (spring break can approach $800-1000 per week).
That level is extremely unusual. I have always paid less than $300 (usually under $250) for a week in whale season. The last two weeks of the year (Christmas and New Years) are often double that but we never go then. On occasion I have been able to reserve for under $200 in early December or early January. Quoting $800-$1000 could unnecessarily scare off some potential visitors who do not know the nuances.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - Maui and Kauai are very rural - you will miss the best things to see if you don't have a car.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
That level is extremely unusual. I have always paid less than $300 (usually under $250) for a week in whale season. The last two weeks of the year (Christmas and New Years) are often double that but we never go then. On occasion I have been able to reserve for under $200 in early December or early January. Quoting $800-$1000 could unnecessarily scare off some potential visitors who do not know the nuances.

For what type car? I think most of the people quoting high rates are quoting SUVs. I just did a quick check of Budget (admittedly only one data point and maybe not the cheapest source), and as you say, around $300 or so seems doable for compact/intermediate cars on some dates. I even saw a standard SUV in early December on Maui for $300 or so. We just booked March 2019 in a convertible for around $500/week all-in, compact and intermediate cars are $400+ or so all-in for those same dates, but some SUVs are showing $600-$900+ all-in for those weeks. Big variations across vehicle types and dates.

purduealum91

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! Trust me, we had no intentions of NOT renting a car. We are going in July and we are looking at at a price of $365 including taxes for an Intermediate vehicle in Maui and $505 for Kauai.

Thanks for the Autoslash tip! Never heard of this site before. Shortly after entering my Maui reservation through Costco/Budget, I received an AutoSlash email with a lower price through Advantage ($365 mentioned above). The Kauai week is through Costco/Budget, at the moment.

Have a great weekend,

Tom

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll pile on and vote for a car for both islands. For those that have been, want to mostly hang by the pool and know where they want to go, one can get by without a car for Kauai, less for for Maui unless you fly into the smaller airport. The higher current prices do make is less of a no brainer than it has been previously.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
For what type car? I think most of the people quoting high rates are quoting SUVs. I just did a quick check of Budget (admittedly only one data point and maybe not the cheapest source), and as you say, around $300 or so seems doable for compact/intermediate cars on some dates. I even saw a standard SUV in early December on Maui for $300 or so. We just booked March 2019 in a convertible for around $500/week all-in, compact and intermediate cars are $400+ or so all-in for those same dates, but some SUVs are showing $600-$900+ all-in for those weeks. Big variations across vehicle types and dates.
Many times we've found SUVs to be cheaper than a full size car.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you want to save some $$$ you really could just rent for a 'few' days in Kauai....

A car is needed, but you could also get to the resort, leave the resort, take a helo ride, go to the beach (bay) and still not need a car.
I'd strongly recommend a rental car for at least a few days in Kauai:

• A trip to Hanalei Bay, bike on the coast from Kappaa, walk the Kalalau from Ke'e beach.
  • A trip to Brennecke's for lunch or happy hour....walk the beach at Poipu, have a drink at the Waiohai beach bar, listen to music, watch the sunset....
  • Drive, carefully, to the parking area for the caves at Mahaulepu (past the Grand Hyatt, near the horse stables) and walk the Mahaulepu coastal heritage trail along the beach. See what a real, natural, quite and serene beach/coast looks like.
  • Go have lunch in Lihue at the Kauai brewery. (the one in Lihue, not Port Allen). Good food, good beer, close to resort.
  • Grab a 'box lunch' from the old Koloa Fish Market and go have that lunch on Mahaulepu or Poipu.

So much to do...

Oh, and on Maui.....

Pick a nice day and drive out to Merriman's @ Kapalua. They have a fantastic happy hour (3-5pm) with music, great drinks and truffle fries. Sit on the patio and watch the ocean blow by. It's worth the trip. Not cheap.....classy. You could always stay for a romantic anniversary dinner. Suggest you review the menu first and make reservations if this is your desire.

Maui brewpub (just past Whalers village) has great beers and a nice happy hour. Quick trip. Not so classy....but tasty. Several nice musical happy hours just behind the Whalers Villiage; busy, so go early.

Congrats!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If you want to save some $$$ you really could just rent for a 'few' days in Kauai....

A car is needed, but you could also get to the resort, leave the resort, take a helo ride, go to the beach (bay) and still not need a car.
I'd strongly recommend a rental car for at least a few days in Kauai:

• A trip to Hanalei Bay, bike on the coast from Kappaa, walk the Kalalau from Ke'e beach.
  • A trip to Brennecke's for lunch or happy hour....walk the beach at Poipu, have a drink at the Waiohai beach bar, listen to music, watch the sunset....
  • Drive, carefully, to the parking area for the caves at Mahaulepu (past the Grand Hyatt, near the horse stables) and walk the Mahaulepu coastal heritage trail along the beach. See what a real, natural, quite and serene beach/coast looks like.
  • Go have lunch in Lihue at the Kauai brewery. (the one in Lihue, not Port Allen). Good food, good beer, close to resort.
  • Grab a 'box lunch' from the old Koloa Fish Market and go have that lunch on Mahaulepu or Poipu.

So much to do...

Oh, and on Maui.....

Pick a nice day and drive out to Merriman's @ Kapalua. They have a fantastic happy hour (3-5pm) with music, great drinks and truffle fries. Sit on the patio and watch the ocean blow by. It's worth the trip. Not cheap.....classy. You could always stay for a romantic anniversary dinner. Suggest you review the menu first and make reservations if this is your desire.

Maui brewpub (just past Whalers village) has great beers and a nice happy hour. Quick trip. Not so classy....but tasty. Several nice musical happy hours just behind the Whalers Villiage; busy, so go early.
Congrats!

Good call, tater.

Ditto on Kaua'i's Hanalei Bay & Ke'e Beach, as I mentioned earlier..... both breathtaking......
Ke'e is as good as it gets, worth spending better part of a day. One of our fondest memories.

...and for Maui, ditto also for Merriman's ----instead of reservations, we elected to go early for the 3-5 Happy Hour, sit in the bar area,
at a 2-top (high top) on the wall across from the bar. GREAT TABLE at front corner!!! Ari took great care of us......We got there at 4pm, had a drink or two with the cheese plate app, and chilled until they started serving dinner at 5----- a most wonderful dinner. Recommend the seared sashimi tuna, Wow. Can order full menu from bar or bar area....then we walked outside to "the point"----the deck outside which is waterfront, and just hung out a while----gorgeous views 180 degrees. One of my favorite spots on the island. I would come back to Maui just to go to Merriman's.

Merriman's below:
(deck is far larger than photo shows,
with plenty of 4-top tables, and also a couple of
small private sofa/chairs/drink table areas)

sunset-views-from-our.jpg

upload_2018-4-6_17-12-20.png
upload_2018-4-6_17-13-6.png

Addendum: Per personal recommendation from "taffy19", whom we met today (so sweet!!!!),
there's also a great restaurant down the coast about 45-50 min away in Wailea called Gannon's----
very similar to Merriman's (great food, great views), just farther from MOC.
We plan on going there "next time"!
Thanks taffy19, our newest & very special TUG friend!!!!!

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Good times...your pics are better ! :clap:

Mai Tai's and Whale dancing...
upload_2018-4-6_17-24-13.png
upload_2018-4-6_17-27-3.png

taffy19

Reaction score
You really need a car unless you are willing to take several tours but that would end up being more expensive.

Thank you both for sharing your beautiful pictures. We have done the same thing too and I always take too many pictures so ran out of battery power when something very special happened.

While the sun was setting, a whale jumped out completely and his whole silhouette was inside the sun. I wished I had been able to capture that but it is still fresh in my memory and I can still see it in front of me today.

Marty, if you still have time, drive to Gannon's Restaurant in Wailea. This is also a real beautiful spot and certainly when the sun is out. This website should show you some views from there, I hope.

https://gannonsrestaurant.com/

We also went once to their other restaurant in the pouring rain on a winding country road with poor visibility but our lunch was really good and also their specialty Maitai. The sun was out when we drove back. I normally do not recommend restaurants but I have an idea that you will like it.

Did you drive to Haleakala? It really is worth seeing and some TUGgers feel that way too and have shared beautiful pictures. Some say that you can see the same thing too from an airplane but it is not the same, IMO. We have seen snow on the Big Island on a clear day more than once.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We usually rent a compact or an intermediate size car, not only for the generally lower price but also for the ease of parking a smaller car in the rather tight MOC parking garages.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
We usually rent a compact or an intermediate size car, not only for the generally lower price but also for the ease of parking a smaller car in the rather tight MOC parking garages.

'rather tight' You mean the slots designed for the Fiat 500? ;-)

We learned out lesson after the first year, for 2-3 people, no more than mid-size or small SUV. Now if folks would just learn how to park in only slot...

juri57

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Is a rental car needed? If so, which company has the best prices? Is a car needed for the
entire week?
We just returned from Hawaii and the first couple of days we did not have a car but then rented one for just under $600.00 for 11 days. I searched on line at various rental agencies and all were over $1000.00 (out of our budget). But, then I found https://turo.com/ and rented a private car from a person. You can also rent out your car this way while you are gone and save more money. The car we had was a MAZDA5 2009.
zRz1Ca0VRLCPsmgL5Q_v1w.100x60.jpg
It would have cost us over $1200.00. If we did not have the car we would not have seen as much nor been able to stop where we wanted to stop to enjoy what we wanted to enjoy. Yes, bus is fine and we could have bought a ticket for the whole day for $5.00 but the car is still better.