• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Man

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Most of us on TUG are old enough to remember the night of July 20, 1969. It was a singular achievement, when an estimated 400 million people around the world--including me--were glued to their televisions to watch Neil Armstrong walk on the surface of the moon. This achievement seems all the more miraculous because man has not been back to the moon since December 1972. While we certainly possess the technology to do so, it takes more than that--a lot of money, the public backing to do so, leadership, and political will.

screen-shot-2018-08-30-at-10-47-48-am-1535641088.png

That's why I highly recommend you see First Man, starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Damian Chazelle. The movie does a wonderful job of depicting the space career of Neil Armstrong, along with the immense strains on his family, the heroic and unsung efforts of his wife, Janet, back home, and the incredible risks all of the astronauts took to fulfill President Kennedy's promise that "we choose to go to the moon in this decade...not because it is easy, but because it is hard".

There has been much made by some that the director revealed his political bias by not showing Armstrong planting the American flag on the moon. He has been quoted as choosing not to do so because Armstrong believed the seminal achievement was one for all mankind. Regardless, it is abundantly clear in the movie that there existed a high-stakes space race between the United States and the Soviet Union--and that the country that achieved Kennedy's audacious goal was America.

We take for granted--now, nearly 50 years later--the truly awesome achievement of the summer of 1969. The movie First Man will give you a renewed appreciation of the courage, determination, and magnificent leadership of those who took us all on that unforgettable journey.

a11_h_40_5878.gif

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to see it Thursday on Moviepass while here in Williamsburg, I do remember as a 9 year old. that they did this in the 60's with extremely primitive technology compared to today is amazing. Even today, it would be a challenge.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I was a little too young to remember the first moon landing, but I do remember watching a later landing on television. It was truly a different time, and something that could not be pulled off today in our current environment. There is a great 10-part mini-series by HBO that was produced in part by Tom Hanks and Ron Howard called "From the Earth to the Moon", which follows the space program from Kennedy's famous speech until the moon landing. An excellent show/series as well.

I am
definitely
looking forward to seeing "First Man".

Kurt

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw a preview in theater recently -- with my much older brain (than 16 year old at the time) kept thinking -- that really was amazing that a man would have enough confidence in the science to get in that spaceship.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We saw it opening night with AMC A-List and quite enjoyed it. I wasn't even born when man was on the moon.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess we're not all old enough to remember!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It was a truly brazen and audacious achievement, especially so given the limited technology available at that time. We should be amazed that they managed to pull it off, even after the misstep and tragedy of Apollo 1.

I remember being shown the Apollo computers as a child by a family-friend who worked for NASA. They were ahead of their time (2k RAM) - roughly equivalent to an Apple II which came a decade later. Of course, today you could run their program in an app on a smartphone.* -- from an article in Popular Mechanics.
*The original source code is available on GitHub.com

maxresdefault.jpg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the movie. I was the kid, up at 5:00 a.m. to watch the launch of all the Mercury shots and learned the names of all the astronauts from Walter Cronkite and Chris Kraft, the 'Capsule Communicator' at NASA. Neil Armstrong's 'One Small Step' is certainly high on the 'I remember where I was when. . .' list.

Jim

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the movie. I was the kid, up at 5:00 a.m. to watch the launch of all the Mercury shots and learned the names of all the astronauts from Walter Cronkite and Chris Kraft, the 'Capsule Communicator' at NASA. Neil Armstrong's 'One Small Step' is certainly high on the 'I remember where I was when. . .' list.

Jim
Then did he say "One small step for man" or "One small step for a man"?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Why is it rated PG-13? I was thinking of taking the granddaughters until I saw the rating.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is it rated PG-13? I was thinking of taking the granddaughters until I saw the rating.
How old are the granddaughters? I couldn't find much. Here: from The Catholic Spirit- The film contains brief scatological material, a few profanities and milder oaths, as well as a single rough and a handful of crude terms. The Catholic News Service classification is A-III — adults. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-13 — parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.

I suspect the kids hear similar on the schoolgrounds. This movie deals with military men (they were ALL men) in stressful adult situations. So be it.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How old are the granddaughters? I couldn't find much. Here: from The Catholic Spirit- The film contains brief scatological material, a few profanities and milder oaths, as well as a single rough and a handful of crude terms. The Catholic News Service classification is A-III — adults. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-13 — parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.

I suspect the kids hear similar on the schoolgrounds. This movie deals with military men (they were ALL men) in stressful adult situations. So be it.
Thanks. They're 11 and 15. I better check with their mom.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. They're 11 and 15. I better check with their mom.
That's prolly the safe way. Otoh, it might help give them some understanding of an event that happened long before they were born and has been reduced to perhaps a paragraph in their history books. I think I'd lobby 'mom' that it's a teachable event. Compared to other movies they could see- like Venom, or the other litany of other 'Halloween' fright films, First Man is factual, scary, and entertaining.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It certainly isn't a fighting movie, but there are scenes and story that may not be suitable. His young child dies, three men are killed in Apollo I. Language, smoking. They smoked in the workplace back then.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It certainly isn't a fighting movie, but there are scenes and story that may not be suitable. His young child dies, three men are killed in Apollo I. Language, smoking. They smoked in the workplace back then.
I'm not too worried about language and smoking, but the dying could be a problem. They've lost friends to cancer, and their dad was killed in a car crash 10 years ago. The 15 year old has anxiety problems, so I'll wait for something less intense.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I can remember watching this with my Dad. I seem to think it was on about 10pm when they landed on the moon here in Calif. Amazing to think the computers in our phones are more powerful and store more memory then what was used to guide the Apollo rockets. I saw first man the other day. It was pretty good. It definitely wasn't as glamorous as it appeared at the time to me. The sound effects of the shaking and vibrating in the space capsule was pretty amazing. Basically they were sitting atop of a bomb and riding it. I have to believe the saucers that crashed at Roswell were a lot more comfortable of a ride.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have to believe the saucers that crashed at Roswell were a lot more comfortable of a ride.
... until they crashed... then, not so much. :p

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
The landing occurred not long after the crew of the Pueblo were finally released. I was serving in Korea in 1969 so I missed almost anything that was going on outside of the country. We had more than enough on our plate to hold our attention.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I can remember watching this with my Dad. I seem to think it was on about 10pm when they landed on the moon here in Calif.

I just looked it up. The Eagle landed on the moon at 20:17 UTC or 1:17 pm Pacific Time on 20 July 1969. Six and a half hours later, at 2:56 UTC on 21 July or 7:56 pm Pacific Time on 20 July, Neil Armstrong took that one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was the "live in" Girl Scout camp as the camp's dishwasher in the middle of the woods .... NO ELECTRIC, NO TVs and NO RADIOs allowed in camp. Flashlights only.

The camp's handiman was all of 2 years older than this 17yo girl. We strung extension cords to a place in the woods where we could get TV reception. Sitting on logs, outdoors in the dark was 3 of us .. trying to watch the action from the moon on a 6" TV screen. All under the stars. We had the ONLY TV in camp ... with 150+ other people in camp who saw nothing.

I forgot who the 3rd person was (a male) and the name of the Glassboro handiman with the TV who scrouged of the extension cords.

What I do remember, that was the summer the camp had working NO SHOWER for all 8 weeks and the lake was bone dry when camp started .. then it started raining. And the clothes in our canvas tents' mildewed. Our other treat ... the handiman also had the keys to the kitchen and food storeroom. And as I worked in the kitchen, I knew where the good leftovers were. And how to disposed of the snacking evidence.

I would play TAPs at 9PM and the teenage snacking started 30+ minutes later ... in the kitchen's storeroom. That was my 2nd full and final summer camp stay .... I worked at Gino's KFC fast food places the next summer plus work breakfast at my college kitchen for my first semester.

The "Summer of '69" ... the song pretty much explain that time.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then did he say "One small step for man" or "One small step for a man"?

The movie did have it correct: "One small step for man". I did really enjoy the movie, but found it very slow at times. Very intense of course at other times. I, too, was struck at the primitive level of computing they had available at that time. Also I thought of the women who backed up the computers by doing calculations themselves (Hidden Figures).

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
The current iPhone has thousands times the computing power of the entire The Apollo program computers, which were apparently 10 years ahead of their time. But the big difference was that the Apollo computers were crash proof. I don't understand the technology....just a comment I recall.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I was at the space center when Apollo 11 blasted off. It was an amazing event to witness, and one of the highlights of my life.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was at the space center when Apollo 11 blasted off. It was an amazing event to witness, and one of the highlights of my life.

-- You lucky dog! --