• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Lawsuit filed against Viking Ship LLCs / PCCs

VictorW

Reaction score
David Macmillan

Ah didn't notice the first time. I'm guessing Timeshare Relief, Inc. utilized the "viking ship" scheme?

James Tarpey, a Montana Resident

I'd imagine is in the mix because he offered closing for the mentioned companies (Resort Closings, Inc.). I don't see where DFAC would be doing anything wrong because every piece of inventory they take in appears to sell. Of course, I might be mistaken, and pieces of inventory from this vacation club might have been deeded to them and was foreclosed on.

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
The PCCs business is similar to point system schemes. If one one the point system goes belly up because the members don't psy dues can the club members be sued?

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my view the PCC business model can serve a constructive purpose if performed in partnership with an enlightened HOA. Essentially, a contractor relationship. But, it does require HOA's to wake up. Meanwhile, lack of action by the HOA's has created the void that these bad actors fill.

I agree. I told Ken that the resorts need to work with the PCCs to get deedbacks. He didn't want to hear anything of it. Everytime I brought it up, he kept going back to creating legislation to allow timeshares to self terminate.

There are PCCs that give money back guarantees if they can't transfer it. If I were a PCC, that is what I would do. In fact, I may start another thread to show what an ethical PCC can operate even in light of the new law. Most PCCs have a list of resorts that they don't and can't transfer. When such a resort is encountered, the only option for the client is legal action against the resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't see where DFAC would be doing anything wrong because every piece of inventory they take in appears to sell.

How could you possibly know what inventory they take in? :shrug:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah but there IS value as in nearly every case 85-90% or more of the owners ARE paying.

85-90% may be paying, but at least 30% want out and they have no way to do so. Getting rid of the PCCs will make it impossible for anyone to exit their timeshare in hundreds if not thousands of resorts.

The only reason the PCC business model exists is because many resorts have zero value due to high maintenance fees and/or deteriorating properties.

I predict that there will be a new industry that emerges right after the PCCs go out of business. The business will be akin to ambulance chasers. There will be a ton of law suits against HOAs for not taking appropriate action to create liquidity for resale timeshares.

We need a law in every state for abandoning timeshares like an estate can do when someone dies and nobody wants to take over the property. Death cannot be the only answer for getting rid of your timeshare.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its interesting to see the actual ARDA reaction to this...as up until recently many of those folks in that list were all buddy buddy with ARDA (including many running companies that were members).

its not like ARDA was unaware of this practice...its only now that its become such an industry wide problem that they now "see it as an issue".

While half of me wants to support them for pushing back against PCCs/LLCs....the other half rolls its eyes at the fact they let it go on for so long.

VictorW

Reaction score
How could you possibly know what inventory they take in? :shrug:

They turn away 8-10% of their phone ups (do not take) because inventory from certain resorts don't sell (even for $1 with closing covered)... They only take inventory in that is an easy sell for them.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They turn away 8-10% of their phone ups (do not take) because inventory from certain resorts don't sell (even for $1 with closing covered)... They only take inventory in that is an easy sell for them.

Again - How do you know this?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Through an employee of theirs...

So - you are basing your assumptions upon an employee's unsubstantiated statements... seriously?

Here is an easy question - what do the do with the inventory they can't sell?

VictorW

Reaction score
So - you are basing your assumptions upon an employee's unsubstantiated statements... seriously?

Here is an easy question - what do the do with the inventory they can't sell?

HAHAH They only take in inventory that has maintenance fees paid 1 year in advance and they list it with ALL closing costs (including resort transfer fees) covered! They have a year to even give it away... so I'm very doubtful that even happens!

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
85-90% may be paying, but at least 30% want out and they have no way to do so. Getting rid of the PCCs will make it impossible for anyone to exit their timeshare in hundreds if not thousands of resorts.

The only reason the PCC business model exists is because many resorts have zero value due to high maintenance fees and/or deteriorating properties.

I predict that there will be a new industry that emerges right after the PCCs fgo out of business. The business will be akin to ambulance chasers. There will be a ton of law suits against HOAs for not taking appropriate action to create liquidity for resale timeshares.

We need a law in every state for abandoning timeshares like an estate can do when someone dies and nobody wants to take over the property. Death cannot be the only answer for getting rid of your timeshare.

Repeating that owners "have no way out" over & over doesn't make it true. In fact they always have a way out - but they want an easy way, even if it costs money, not the correct way. Hardly equates to no choice merely means choices they don't like. Too bad. Don't buy if you don't like the rules. They are well known before any purchase even retail.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HAHAH They only take in inventory that has maintenance fees paid 1 year in advance and they list it with closing costs covered! They have a year to even give it away... so I'm very doubtful that even happens!

If it never happens - why are they being sued?

You are starting to sound like you are affiliated with this company...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have already posted that you work in the industry, so yes I'm definitely suspicious, since you claim to have inside information:
Some of the owners had owned for as long as 20 years (They were 55.45 a while back, Silverleaf's maintenance fees are 76.45 today). Their records showed annual payments of 55.45 and were current.

I worked as a salesman, and we actually put in writing for when we upgraded that they would keep their reduced maintenance fees on their new unit (It was the only way they would upgrade).

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Repeating that owners "have no way out" over & over doesn't make it true. In fact they always have a way out - but they want an easy way, even if it costs money, not the correct way. Hardly equates to no choice merely means choices they don't like. Too bad. Don't buy if you don't like the rules. They are well known before any purchase even retail.

That its impossible to sell some of this stuff is not common knowledge. And it's certainly not something that's discussed in a sales room.

I agree that there are ways to get rid of a timeshare other than PCCs. Prime among them is to just stop paying mf

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can prove they have no way out. If they had a way out, there would be no scams. The fact that there are resale scams proves there is no resale market for tons of resorts. Are you seriously going to argue that point?

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I agree with your overall point Boca, the "evidence" you are using here is specious, because the resale market is fragmented and opaque. Were it more transparent, I would be more inclined to agree.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I can prove they have no way out. If they had a way out, there would be no scams. The fact that there are resale scams proves there is no resale market for tons of resorts. Are you seriously going to argue that point?

I agree it is hard to get out but it is not impossible. You are failing to take into account the "lazy" factor.

Time and time again we see people come here asking if this or that company can really take my TS off my hands? They get the advice to research and place ads to try to give the unit away.

We often never hear from them again! A lot of people want the easy way out even if it costs them some real money.

As Ron pointed out, it is very easy to get out without dying, just stop paying the MFs.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Converted Motel on a very busy by-pass two lane road

[

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree it is hard to get out but it is not impossible. You are failing to take into account the "lazy" factor.

Time and time again we see people come here asking if this or that company can really take my TS off my hands? They get the advice to research and place ads to try to give the unit away.

We often never hear from them again! A lot of people want the easy way out even if it costs them some real money.

As Ron pointed out, it is very easy to get out without dying, just stop paying the MFs.

I agree completely - most people just want the easy way out - to hell with the consequences.