• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Cruise Alaska Port Questions

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding my Alaska Cruise next September 15 thru 22, 2019. Ports of Call are Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria. I'm trying to research excursions during the time in these ports, I need to know about how long does it take to get off and on the ship in these ports?

Juneau, we are there from 1 - 9 PM, looking at a 4 hour helicopter/glacier walk. Pick up time is either 2 PM or 3 PM. Will it be too dark then to see anything and take photos on the 3 PM tour?

Sitka, there from 8 AM - 4 PM, looking at a land an sea 4 hour tour. Not sure of Pick up times.

Ketchikan, there from 7 AM - 1 PM, 3 hour water/lodge lunch tour. Pick up is 8:45 AM, 9:30 AM or 10:00 AM for this one.

Victoria, there from 6 PM - 11:30 PM, we plan to just explore the water front area and have dinner before returning to the ship so this port isn't an issue time wise.

My concern is booking the tours then not having enough time to get off the ship to do the tours or back on it before it sails.

Thanks everyone for our help. I do want my first cruise to go smooth as possible.

Suzanne

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I have a question regarding my Alaska Cruise next September 15 thru 22, 2019. Ports of Call are Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria. I'm trying to research excursions during the time in these ports, I need to know about how long does it take to get off and on the ship in these ports?

Juneau, we are there from 1 - 9 PM, looking at a 4 hour helicopter/glacier walk. Pick up time is either 2 PM or 3 PM. Will it be too dark then to see anything and take photos on the 3 PM tour?

Sitka, there from 8 AM - 4 PM, looking at a land an sea 4 hour tour. Not sure of Pick up times.

Ketchikan, there from 7 AM - 1 PM, 3 hour water/lodge lunch tour. Pick up is 8:45 AM, 9:30 AM or 10:00 AM for this one.

Victoria, there from 6 PM - 11:30 PM, we plan to just explore the water front area and have dinner before returning to the ship so this port isn't an issue time wise.

My concern is booking the tours then not having enough time to get off the ship to do the tours or back on it before it sails.

Thanks everyone for our help. I do want my first cruise to go smooth as possible.

Suzanne

Your cruise itinerary should indicate on each stop whether you will in docked in port or whether you will have to tender into port. That will be the big difference.

If you dock in port, getting off/on the ship should be no more than a 6-7 minute exercise. If you must tender then you will only be able to leave at certain times and it could take you anywhere from 15-30 minutes going into port and longer coming back to the ship since you could be in a line with more people than the tender is able to hold.

Even though the excursions sold by your cruise line may be more expensive than what you can get on your own, you don't have to worry about the pick up times or whether you will make it back in time.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne, it just takes a couple of minutes to walk off. The buses will be right beside the gangway. DO NOT WORRY about being left on the dock! The tor operators do this every day or two! and even if you book them privately, the cruise lines book from them too. It will be daylight for ALL your tours. If your tour gets delayed, they will call and the ship won't leave without a busload of passengers. One or two who get carried away at a quayside saloon or jewelry shop might find themselves looking at an empty spot on the dock where their ship used to be, but not a tour load.

P.S. iirc, Sitka is the only port that you might have to tender (e.g. use the lifeboat to the port). All the rest are docks.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Have you signed up on Cruise Critic for your ship and date's Roll Call? Cruise Critic is the TUG of cruising and the roll calls will have other passengers who can answer your questions and who will be organizing and/or joining private and small group tours. We rarely take the ship's tours.