• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finally Time for Our Molokai Trip

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Hey. Curious. How much is it to fly from Molokai to Oahu? Which airline do you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have flown them all now. Makani Kai is the cheapest, $110 round trip. Mokulele is about $130 and Hawaiian is $170. Hawaiian is a 50 seater and the other two are 9 seaters. Those prices float of course.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Flight is delayed an hour. That’s enough time for us to grab some Hot Bread for home. :cool:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Got Hot Bread for breakfast anyway. :)

222E4BDC-CE7F-423A-9F44-3727E8106B8A.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Finally boarded. Be home soon. :cheer:

Reactions: Xan

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha! They just closed the door on our flight back from Maui to Texas. Sad to
leave but happy we’ll be back in a few months. No other place like Hawaii for us.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha! They just closed the door on our flight back from Maui to Texas. Sad to
leave but happy we’ll be back in a few months. No other place like Hawaii for us.

I agree. It was nice not having that long flight back this time.

I walked a block down the street to grab a pizza at Slice of Waikiki. My wife’s hip was bothering her so she stayed at the apartment.

Her reaction to the apartment was that it reminds her of a bachelor pad. :)

I just messaged her that the pizza would be 15 minutes and she messaged me back that she got lost in the apartment. :) It’s about 500 sq ft so it will take her some time to get used to it.

We got here when it was still light so she was able to see everything before it got dark, that was nice.

Tomorrow we’ll take a short walk around the building. I’ll show her where everything is, then we’ll walk around town a bit. We’ll see how far she can go.
We may even stop at the Safeway.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She started straightening out the place they way she wants it. And of course, she is making it nicer. She was already on Amazon buying things she will need. :)

She first said it was smaller than she thought and now the longer she’s moving things around, she said it will be fine for what we need. She’s finding it has good storage and we don’t have a lot to store anymore.

She’ll be up early straightening out more while I’m asleep in the morning.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
She started straightening out the place they way she wants it. And of course, she is making it nicer. She was already on Amazon buying things she will need. :)

She first said it was smaller than she thought and now the longer she’s moving things around, she said it will be fine for what we need. She’s finding it has good storage and we don’t have a lot to store anymore.

She’ll be up early straightening out more while I’m asleep in the morning.
She's nesting Jeff.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We took a little walk at about 11am and there wasn’t a line at all at the Udon place so she wanted to give it a try. She loved it. She had the Curry Udon, Calamari and Chicken Tempura.
35C549E8-7A0C-4670-9172-5F7300FE45A5.jpeg

The more she stays in the condo the more she likes it and sees how it can work. We went to the Safeway so she got some staples that she needs and she liked the store a lot. It’s nice and close too.

So tomorrow she is by herself for the day and she will slowly go through and move things around. She’ll e by herself for a couple days too because I have to go to Maui for work for a couple days. Probably Thursday and Friday. :thumbup:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I probably have two dozen Aloha shirts. Most are Tori Richards. Great quality.

Dave

My husband has a number of Aloha Shirts, many of them I got him even though he must pick them out since his taste is different than mine. He has some Tori Richards but I also like his Rix shirts very much and they are usually less expensive.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The first time I visited NYC I felt this way. I was on sensory overload. But, on my second trip I fell in love with it. We have been going back once a year in the Fall.

Well this certainly wasn't our first visit to NYC, but it was the first time staying there overnight. It wasn't just sensory overload it was too much of good things and no Aloha. As I said we love Waikiki and Honolulu so we are not looking for quiet; we want the action, but not too much.

Too many cars so the traffic backs up all over and at times you can't even cross the street walking. Too many people walking on almost every street; every street is like Kalakaua on Saturday night. We obey the walking red and white walking signs. Therefore, when walking up and down the avenues the streets are so close together and the lights for pedestrians so poorly timed that you had to stop and wait at every block. There are so many small blocks that it takes twice as long as it should to walk the distance from 53 street to 30 street. That was the way it was on 6th, 7th, 8th Avenue as well as Broadway.

The food was good but over priced. The Hilton Club Rooms are Hotel rooms without kitchens. We brought food for breakfast. However,, we needed to eat all our lunches and dinners out. It made us feel that our food costs in Honolulu are inexpensive. The food service staff that we encountered didn't have patients during busy times they were very rushed and impolite. It is understandable since again there are sooooo many people.

We saw 4 shows and they were great but expensive, we had to get tickets in the upper balcony areas to afford them. We are accustomed to much better seats for less money.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Made my arrangements for my Maui trip. I leave Thursday morning and come back Friday at 4pm. So I’ll only be gone one night. We just went shopping so my wife said she’ll have plenty to do. She’s already scoping place out to walk to.

We walked to the International Market place today. It only a few blocks but she walked better today. No problems.

I’ll be staying at the CourtYard in Kahului. It was strange booking this though my work app. $272 a night. Car was super cheap only $26 a day and the flight was $168 round trip. The CourtYard is only about a mile and a half from the warehouse.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Made my arrangements for my Maui trip. I leave Thursday morning and come back Friday at 4pm. So I’ll only be gone one night. We just went shopping so my wife said she’ll have plenty to do. She’s already scoping place out to walk to.

We walked to the International Market place today. It only a few blocks but she walked better today. No problems.

I’ll be staying at the CourtYard in Kahului. It was strange booking this though my work app. $272 a night. Car was super cheap only $26 a day and the flight was $168 round trip. The CourtYard is only about a mile and a half from the warehouse.
That is the Courtyard near the airport right? I think it's also steps away from Costco. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is the Courtyard near the airport right? I think it's also steps away from Costco. :)

Yes, it is that one by the airport.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That is great that your wife is walking better. My husband has a torn meniscus so he can have problems walking long distances. We live in a suburb on Long Island and never walk. We just get in a car, drive, get out do our shopping or eating, get back in the car and go home. When we first get to Honolulu we need to train ourselves back into the walking thing. After awhile we are in the swing of things and it is second nature.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has your wife thought about a hip replacement? The recovery time is shorter than with most major surgeries, and I've heard it can be life-changing for those who had previously struggled with chronic pain. I have a college classmate that had one of his hips replaced (younger, active guy, basically wore his hip out earlier than some,) around the time that I had my done, and he commented that he wished he'd done it five years earlier--the pain relief was immediate. Of course, my hip had been in pain, too--but only for about two and a half weeks, which is when they suspect the un-diagnosed stress fracture occurred.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That is great that your wife is walking better. My husband has a torn meniscus so he can have problems walking long distances. We live in a suburb on Long Island and never walk. We just get in a car, drive, get out do our shopping or eating, get back in the car and go home. When we first get to Honolulu we need to train ourselves back into the walking thing. After awhile we are in the swing of things and it is second nature.

As someone who has a very long history of knee issues (started in the Navy when I fell down a ladder aboard ship and folded my legs up at the knees - sideways...) I know about arthritic knee pain, torn meniscus, dislocated kneecaps, and any other sort of issue one can have with that joint. I've received cortisone shots under my kneecaps every few months for years. Finally, the arthritis got severe enough that I had a total knee replacement on my left knee six years ago. I'm having my right knee replaced next month. I look forward to the arthritis pain finally being gone. Artificial joints aren't a magic fix for chronic arthritis pain, and they carry their own set of issues, but I will be the first to say it is a marvelous feeling to have the constant nagging, aching pain from the arthritis finally erased.

A torn meniscus can be repaired with an arthroscopy. I've had several of them over the years, most recently two years ago on my right knee. I had such pain I couldn't walk more than a few blocks before I had to stop and sit down. The pain was excruciating. My Ortho doc did the arthroscopic surgery and removed the damaged tissue (turned out it was torn in two locations, and the jagged edge was folded under, so was like driving a knife into myself with each step. No wonder I couldn't walk very far!) He also cleaned out the assorted bits of cartilage that had come loose, and smoothed out the underside of my kneecap. After the surgery, I felt almost like new, and that chronic kind of walking pain was gone. I've done quite well since then, but deterioration of the joint, and bone-on-bone contact has increased to the point that the total knee replacement is finally the only choice.

Your husband may wish to ask his doctor about an arthroscopy to repair the torn meniscus. It will certainly alleviate some of the pain he's enduring every day. He may not realize how badly that pain affects his daily life. If you're moving to Honolulu, and will live in Waikiki, walking is something he needs to be able to enjoy. Good luck!

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has your wife thought about a hip replacement? The recovery time is shorter than with most major surgeries, and I've heard it can be life-changing for those who had previously struggled with chronic pain. I have a college classmate that had one of his hips replaced (younger, active guy, basically wore his hip out earlier than some,) around the time that I had my done, and he commented that he wished he'd done it five years earlier--the pain relief was immediate. Of course, my hip had been in pain, too--but only for about two and a half weeks, which is when they suspect the un-diagnosed stress fracture occurred.

Yes, she has been to doctors it they all want to try something first and it never works. We will see someone here and see if we can get moving forward on it.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
During our Honeymoon on Mau'i in May 2003 Patti incurred a knee injury. Patti kept saying it was just a Baker's Cyst . It took me months to get Patti in to Ortho. I finally asked her if she knew what a Baker's Cyst was or how it came to be. She did not. From my many professional meetings with Orthopedic Surgeons I knew the answer. In the back of the knee there is a sac that is simply there and empty. However if you incur a knee injury it will draw the excess fluid out of the knee joint. Many times the body's response to a joint injury is fluid collection.

So Patti went to see an Orthopedic Surgeon. She had a tear in her meniscus. He pulled out his calendar and wanted to schedule arthroscopic surgery. Patti said wait a minute let's talk about that. Patti asked "Isn't it true that with this surgery won't the degeneration in the knee advance faster." The Doctor admitted that was true. The surgery would help with the pain and function but there were negatives down the road. Patti asked for other options. She chose intensive physical therapy. She has not had additional problems with that knee. Now this will not work for everyone. All the options need to be examined. It sounds like DaveNW had very serious knee injuries.

Patti's decision not to have surgery actually worked in her favor about 10 years later. Her other knee was giving her problems. When she planted the foot and turned she felt like the knee was about to give way. Imaging studies showed nothing wrong and the Insurance Company rejected surgery. The Doctor (same) called the Insurance Company and explained that 10 years earlier Patti had a meniscus tear easily seen on the Imaging Studies and rejected Surgery. Now she was asking for Exploratory Surgery. The Insurance Company changed their position. The Surgeon found a Chondral Flap Tear that did not show on the Imaging Study. Snip snip and everything was OK.

Going down stairs bothers her knees. It is likely she will have additional problems with both knees as she gets old. She is now only 65.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As someone who has a very long history of knee issues (started in the Navy when I fell down a ladder aboard ship and folded my legs up at the knees - sideways...) I know about arthritic knee pain, torn meniscus, dislocated kneecaps, and any other sort of issue one can have with that joint. I've received cortisone shots under my kneecaps every few months for years. Finally, the arthritis got severe enough that I had a total knee replacement on my left knee six years ago. I'm having my right knee replaced next month. I look forward to the arthritis pain finally being gone. Artificial joints aren't a magic fix for chronic arthritis pain, and they carry their own set of issues, but I will be the first to say it is a marvelous feeling to have the constant nagging, aching pain from the arthritis finally erased.

A torn meniscus can be repaired with an arthroscopy. I've had several of them over the years, most recently two years ago on my right knee. I had such pain I couldn't walk more than a few blocks before I had to stop and sit down. The pain was excruciating. My Ortho doc did the arthroscopic surgery and removed the damaged tissue (turned out it was torn in two locations, and the jagged edge was folded under, so was like driving a knife into myself with each step. No wonder I couldn't walk very far!) He also cleaned out the assorted bits of cartilage that had come loose, and smoothed out the underside of my kneecap. After the surgery, I felt almost like new, and that chronic kind of walking pain was gone. I've done quite well since then, but deterioration of the joint, and bone-on-bone contact has increased to the point that the total knee replacement is finally the only choice.

Your husband may wish to ask his doctor about an arthroscopy to repair the torn meniscus. It will certainly alleviate some of the pain he's enduring every day. He may not realize how badly that pain affects his daily life. If you're moving to Honolulu, and will live in Waikiki, walking is something he needs to be able to enjoy. Good luck!

Dave

Dave

Thanks Dave on the torn meniscus thoughts. My husband tore his about 20 years ago and never had the operation. After six months of healing and physical therapy the Orthopedic Surgeon that he saw said he should return if the pain comes back too severe for him to be able to walk without pain. My husband has been taking Glucosomine, MSN, Chondroitin pills everyday, and uses very cushioned shoes when walking distances such as MBT's or now HOKA Valors. He is carefully walking up and down stairs or getting off curbs also not to hurt the area. At times when walking long distances(numbers of miles) he says he has had enough and needs to sit down for awhile and we don't continue but we do make it home after he rests. In the 40 months or so that we have spent in Waikiki over the last 11 years without a car he has been able to function quite well.