• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finally got a trade for St. Marteen and now Irma

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
i have been looking forward to heading to St. Marteen for some time, and now hurricane Irma is headed straight for the island. We are not going until the first week in December but as I have experienced, it takes some time to recover from the hurricane. Keeping my fingers crossed for us as well in S.C.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have plans to stay at Simpson Bay Resort from Dec 2-9 for the first time. These storms are a mess, so we will keep watching.

Mike

Pappy Mentos

Reaction score
Yes, a Category 5 hurricane with 180 mph sustained winds will likely cause immeasurable damage. Thoughts and prayers are with the people in the Caribbean, but I fear that many of these islands will feel the effects of this storm for years to come, especially those that as of now, appear to be in it's direct path.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, 3 months after the storm, you may see some construction and rebuilding, but services will surely be up and running, and economic recovery depends on tourism. Go. Enjoy. And consider it doing your part.

Jim

Pappy Mentos

Reaction score

When a Category 5 hurricane hits land, "a high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed," the National Hurricane Center warns, adding power could be lost in some areas for "weeks and possible months."

I copied that quote from a newspaper article talking about the effect of a Category 5 in the US - while I fully agree that islands that rely on tourism must be supported, I think the possibility exists that the resort the original poster has reserved may be severely damaged by this storm, so it would certainly be wise to look at alternatives now. Add in how many joke about "island time" and how long renovations often take in the Caribbean, and I think some of these islands may face an impact that could take years to recover from. Again, I hope I am wrong, as we have many friends in the islands, but I do not like the path this storm is taking.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
When Odile hit Cabo, the resorts that took the brunt of the storm were closed for over a year. We were scheduled to stay at Club Regina in the corridor in January 2015, but were able to change to Villa del Palmar closer to Cabo San Lucas. Club Regina wasn't functional for over a year IIRC. You will have to wait it out, unfortunately, to see what damage occurs before you can plan anything much, I suspect. We had a very difficult time knowing what to do because there wasn't a lot of specific information coming out of the resort, as they had more pressing matters to deal with after Odile hit. I hope that Irma somehow bypasses the islands. This is very scary for all in her path.

Pappy Mentos

Reaction score
As I feared, initial reports are not good. This is from the BBC:

_97176213_breaking_news_bigger.png

Hurricane Irma has caused major flooding and damage to buildings on several Caribbean islands, France says.

The four "most solid" buildings on the island of Saint Martin have been destroyed, French Interior Minister Gérard Collomb announced.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I feared, initial reports are not good. This is from the BBC:

_97176213_breaking_news_bigger.png

Hurricane Irma has caused major flooding and damage to buildings on several Caribbean islands, France says.

The four "most solid" buildings on the island of Saint Martin have been destroyed, French Interior Minister Gérard Collomb announced.

Oh boy. What happened to the "not so solid"?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got this update.
"3:30 p.m. French official reports 2 dead

France's overseas minister is reporting at least two people are dead and two seriously injured after Irma crossed French-administered Saint Martin and St. Barthelemy.

In a translated report from French broadcaster BFMTV, Annick Girardin said communications are just beginning to return and lessening winds will make air reconnaissance easier.

French President Emmanuel Macron says he expects that more victims and heavy damage will be discovered when Hurricane Irma has left the French West Indies.

Speaking at a crisis center set up at the Interior Ministry, Macron told reporters Wednesday night that while if it’s too early to give a precise toll and figures, he can already say “the toll will be harsh and cruel.”

Early reports suggested damage on parts of the smaller islands of the Caribbean -- a tropical region popular with tourists.

Barbuda, home to about 1,600 people, was "so badly damaged that there is no communication" from the island, said Keithley Meade, director of a meteorological office in Antigua and Barbuda.

"We have a lot of broken trees across the island," Meade said from Antigua, whose 80,000 people comprise most of the two-island nation's population.

Irma destroyed four of the most solid government buildings on the French-administered portion of nearby St. Martin, an island of about 75,000 people, French Interior Minister Gérard Collomb said Wednesday in Paris.

It's likely that all other older buildings there have at least been damaged, he said.

Roughly 10 of these smaller islands -- such as St. Martin, Antigua and Barbuda, and St. Kitts and Nevis -- were pounded by hurricane conditions. One, Guadeloupe, has about 405,000 residents. The rest have about 264,400 people combined."

Pappy Mentos

Reaction score
Yes, the photos and reports that have been posted today are heartbreaking. It appears that even many of the stronger structures, such as the resorts, lost roofs, windows, etc. It will take some time to assess how structurally damaged these buildings may be before any repairs can be made and it may be some time before materials for repairs reach these islands. The devastation has extended into BVI and USVI and Puerto Rico appears next on the list as this storm continues to travel North without losing much power. The Florida Keys appear to be in its path as well. While I have yet to hear any estimates, I would expect the damage total will be in the hundreds of billions when this storm finally subsides.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
the ferries that keep the USVI islands connected, hunker down in a sheltered bay on St John. Hope the ones between BVI did the same, and the island ferry docks had minimal damage. Those ferries are essential services, for getting in supplies and materials.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
i have been looking forward to heading to St. Marteen for some time, and now hurricane Irma is headed straight for the island. We are not going until the first week in December but as I have experienced, it takes some time to recover from the hurricane. Keeping my fingers crossed for us as well in S.C.
Ann-Marie:

I would hold tight for the moment and see what the situation is in a few weeks.

No matter what, you should certainly expect that in December things recovery will still be underway, and many of the normal tourist amenities may not be available. But I would imagine that if you arrive, the residents will be very glad that you came. By spending time there you will be making a tangible contribution to the recovery effort.

It may not be the usual "vacation enjoyment". I know that there are some health issues that you need to manage, and that is a factor to consider in your planning. But I suggest that if you can manage the trip you just might find a measure of satisfaction you couldn't get otherwise. It might even be an opportunity for a vacation in which, instead of being served by the local residents, you would have an opportunity to come alongside them in their recovery efforts. First by simply coming and patronizing businesses to help those businesses to get back in operation. Any money you spend on island will probably never be more appreciated. And perhaps there will be opportunities for you to provide some hands in recovery efforts - and in the process become more than just a tourist and make some lasting friendships.

Just some thoughts .....

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Washington Post is reporting that there were heavy damages to the fame Princess Juliana International airport on the island.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond International Resorts are reporting that their owners and guests are safe at Royal Palm Beach and Flamingo Beach resorts . Also, that they are canceling all reservations to their two resorts until November 20, 2017. Both resorts sustained damages from hurricane Irma.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are five resorts that were in the eye of hurricane Irma as reported by USA Today.
Belmont La Savanna
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort
Hotel Riu Palace St. Martin
Diva Little Bay Beach Resort

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
St. John, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Bahamas....I've vacationed in all of these places. The only silver lining is that communication allowed people to prepare the best they could to minimize the loss of human life. Still, to think of those animals, from feral donkeys and dogs, iguanas, birds, trapped with nowhere to go makes me want to cry. The few videos that I saw were just unimaginable.

I will donate to help rebuild, of course, but it will be months, even years, for these islands to recover. I don't even know where they're going to pile all that debris, let alone obtain the money, equipment, building materials, and manpower to rebuild. I really wish that aid organizations allowed people to "adopt a family" so that I could assist on a more personal level, because right now I'm feeling completely helpless.

I imagine structural engineers are already designing structures that will withstand 200 mph winds.

Pappy Mentos

Reaction score
From the Daily Herald:

Looters attack Simpson Bay Resort guests

SIMPSON BAY--Looters targeted several hotels on St. Maarten, including Simpson Bay Resorts on Friday. Post Hurricane Irma, persons stormed into the hotel in Pelican and attacked and robbed guests and staff Friday morning.

One tourist told The Daily Herald that a group of men overpowered security and staff and made their way to guest’s rooms taking jewellery and money from them. “They even punched and kicked another tourist for trying to stop them from looting. Thank god for marines and police who came and got the situation under control,” she said.

Military personnel arrested five men and the area was cleared by police and coastguard officials. Meanwhile police continue to stress that the country is under curfew and the public is encouraged to stay indoors to allow emergency services to do their jobs.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We decided to cancel our trip scheduled for Dec 2 at Simpson Bay Resort. We are disappointed as this would have been our first visit, but we feel a lot worse for the locals and tourists currently there.

We made a retrade via II and will go to Palm Desert instead, unless something else we like as much or more becomes available. Since we had originally traded a Marriott unit and we are now going into a Marriott resort, there was no exchange fee for the retrade.

With regard to our flight, which we booked on AA through our Chase Sapphire Reserve card, we got a full refund of the points we used worth almost $2,000 by paying a fee of $400 ($200 each). We had purchased the Marriott trip insurance for the year, so we may be able to recover up to $200 if our accommodations at Simpson Bay Resort are deemed uninhabitable. We will have to wait to see what the resort says as the date approaches. Either way our loss is insignificant compared to the locals. (Edit- I forgot our card provides trip cancellation coverage, so I need to file a claim with Chase for a full refund of the $400. Hopefully it works out.)

Our thoughts and prayers go out to them.

Best regards.

Mike

Last edited:

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in the same position. Will cancel our 2 weeks with RCI for St. Marteen. I did take the insurance. However my reservations on AA I have to deal with. Right now we are still trying to get to our daughter in Nashville after being evacuated from our home near Hilton Head. The traffic has been a nightmare. And so life goes on.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in the same position. Will cancel our 2 weeks with RCI for St. Marteen. I did take the insurance. However my reservations on AA I have to deal with. Right now we are still trying to get to our daughter in Nashville after being evacuated from our home near Hilton Head. The traffic has been a nightmare. And so life goes on.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would not recommend St Maarten any time real soon. The hurricane basically wiped out all infrastructure. The island is almost in a state of anarchy with civil unrest, heightened crime and looting. The US military is evacuating US Citizens from the island. No food, water and medicines running short. While I hope the Dutch and the French can send in enough police/troops to restore order, it will take years for the country to get back on their feet. While they need tourists to return, they won't be anywhere close to being prepared in the foreseeable future. The island will never be the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4872376/Richard-Branson-s-son-warns-civil-unrest.html

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I would not recommend St Maarten any time real soon. The hurricane basically wiped out all infrastructure. The island is almost in a state of anarchy with civil unrest, heightened crime and looting. The US military is evacuating US Citizens from the island. No food, water and medicines running short. While I hope the Dutch and the French can send in enough police/troops to restore order, it will take years for the country to get back on their feet. While they need tourists to return, they won't be anywhere close to being prepared in the foreseeable future. The island will never be the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4872376/Richard-Branson-s-son-warns-civil-unrest.html
This makes me sad