• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

finally bought a Royal Sands resale...now what? (2017)

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I used to go to the Royal Sands every year from 2002-2013. It was a fairly easy trade in May (our favorite time, not crowded, great weather) with an inexpensive "trader" using II. We absolutley loved the place and wished it was more affordable. We stopped going right before they made their drastic AI changes an haven't been back since - paying AI would triple the cost of the trip, plus there are so many great restaurants in Cancun we didn't want to miss out on. I also watched this forum and read AI eventually changed the resort's vibe and clientele.

Anyway, we just found a EOY resale for a unit with our ideal week, phase, building and floor at a price that was too good to pass up. The plan is to start going again and avoid the AI, with the added benefit of being able to trade in other times and also avoid AI.

We're in the escrow process and I haven't seen the full contract yet. I understand the Royals are now selling a points based product. Is there a way I can be assured I'm buying the actual week and unit I think I am? I want the "legacy" program; not their points system.

Has the vibe changed much? I imagine the restaurants are more crowded - anything else changed significantly?

Finally, is there anything I should be wary of (contract wording, major policy changes, facility changes)? I'd curious to hear any comments!

buceo

Reaction score
Welcome back and enjoy. Our last Sands stay was 2015, will go again in 2018. You are right the Royals themselves now sell points. That would not play a roll in your buying an existing week resale from other than the Royals. That said, sure make certain it is all legitimate and it spells out your week and unit. That is a separate issue from their new points system. I do not think the vibe has changed (yes opinions differ). They had some room service trays in the hall that we were not used to seeing, but other than that no issues for us. There are not enough/never have been enough pool chairs for high season (what others report), but the restaurants are fine. Just be sure and make reservations for the week upon arrival at any of the resort's restaurants. We go in Feb ourselves, busy time of the year. Last year for the 1st time the AI was a great fit for part of our trip, so we gave it a try for 4 days. Well worth it and very enjoyable for that particular trip.

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I feel pretty comfortle with the transaction; it's through a reputable deed/contract service, there is an escrow acount, and they are very familiar with ISCO and the Royals transfer process. One more question: After this transaction is completed, if (when) I trade in with another week, how do I prove I'm an owner (Royal Member)? Do they issue a card or other document?

Edit to ask this question too: Would I also be except from AI if I were to trade into another Royal AI, like the Haciendas?

Last edited:

buceo

Reaction score
As an owner you will have a contract number for your week. You will also get a card, you probably will have to request it, is my guess. That is done on intervalservicing.com. You'll get a password and that subsidiary handles all the financials, along with internal trades, internal rentals etc.

For owners the AI is "always" optional at their resorts unless you rent off the big sites like Expedia etc. No-AI is the default, just go and enjoy, no mention of the AI unless you pursue to buy it. If you trade to another Royal (the external company now is RCI) the AI is only an option if you want it.

I should add that I have not bought resale. We bought from the developer. Just sharing what I think I know.

Last edited:

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments! I can't tell you how eited we are to go back. During our previous trades we always received the exact unit listed on the II trade. We've stayed all over the resort: phase 1 and phase 2, high floor, low floor, ocean front and ocean view. We favor phase 2, with the smaller (less crowded) pool, and close to the tienda. The week I found found was week 17 (our ideal time), building P (oceanfront), and level one (no stairs/elevator) - pool level but not ground floor. I think we actually stayed in this exact unit before and it was perfect.

buceo

Reaction score
I can relate to your excitement. Waiting the year to go to our unit for the 1st time after buying seemed like forever. We are phase 2-ers also, behind you in "the cheap seats", M building. I (wife did sign too:) hand selected the unit from the developer (so not cheap), ended up with 4 weeks in a row same unit. Bought phase I at the Haciendas, it is the noisier pool. I really don't like their pool activity loud speakers, but others really get into it, so I just try and avoid the noise the best I can. May is not far off. Management has reps answer questions on their own site and on TA. There are also the social sites on facebook and the .ning owners site.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I feel pretty comfortle with the transaction; it's through a reputable deed/contract service, there is an escrow acount, and they are very familiar with ISCO and the Royals transfer process. One more question: After this transaction is completed, if (when) I trade in with another week, how do I prove I'm an owner (Royal Member)? Do they issue a card or other document?

Edit to ask this question too: Would I also be except from AI if I were to trade into another Royal AI, like the Haciendas?

As an owner you will have a contract number for your week. You will also get a card, you probably will have to request it, is my guess. That is done on intervalservicing.com. You'll get a password and that subsidiary handles all the financials, along with internal trades, internal rentals etc.

For owners the AI is "always" optional at their resorts unless you rent off the big sites like Expedia etc. No-AI is the default, just go and enjoy, no mention of the AI unless you pursue to buy it. If you trade to another Royal (the external company now is RCI) the AI is only an option if you want it.

I should add that I have not bought resale. We bought from the developer. Just sharing what I think I know.

So there is no AI at the royal haciendas if you own at any of the four royal resorts?

bcbeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is correct.
I too am buying resale at the Royal Sands fixed week but would love for a current owner to verify that we will be considered members and excluded from mandatory AI fees. Also if we choose AI it would be $69 day for adults. The sales sharks here are claiming we would not be considered members and not except from AI if we buy a resale. Thanks.

JoanneM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been a member for 20 years. My understanding is that if you purchase through another owner, you will be considered a legitimate owner and AI will be optional for you and your guests. You will own a fixed week, fixed villa and it will have nothing to do with points. Sorry about the misinformation from the sales dept. Shame on them for trying to hoodwink you.

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score
They want you to buy from them so they can't help themselves and lie to you.. I'm a owner who purchased resale and I get ALL the same benefits of buying from the resort. You are safe with a purchase.