• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Family Dog Dies On United Flight

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
This is a sad story about a misinformed flight attendant and a mom with two children on a three-hour flight from Houston to New York. The mother was asked to place the 10-month old French bulldog in the overhead bin, which she did.

When the flight arrived, the dog was unresponsive and suffocated during the flight.

To its credit, United has taken full responsibility and has stated that it has no policy which should have forced the dog to have been placed in the overhead bin.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the last year, 24 pets have died on passenger flights. 18 have been on United. How about the doctor forcibly removed? United. The professional musician's guitar smashed? United again. Coincidence?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
United needs to better trained their flight attendants in customer services. IMHP, it my understanding that United has a special air condition cargo section for pets in containers and that pet should been place in that section.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
A Report on CNN shows that more Animals have died on United Airlines than any other Airline in 2015, 2016, and 2017. In 2017 more animals died on United then the next top 5 airlines combined.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be wary, Be VERY wary if you fly THE FRIENDLY SKIES of United.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
United is now on my do not fly list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I’ve been flying with United for years and will continue to. They have the flight times and destinations that I want to go at good prices. In the few flights i’ve Had that had issues, they have always made it right. I have flown most of the other airlines and didn’t see much difference in service with any of them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I feel very sorry for this family that lost their dog, but they didn't show much common sense. They should have asked to talk to a higher authority on the plane, and if denied, they should have gotten off the flight with their dog, and persued it on the ground.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems odd to me that the dog's owner wouldn't have checked on Fluffy periodically throughout the flight?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
News I saw this morning said the family had paid the fee to have the pet on the flight. Also read the flight attendant is claiming she didn't know there was a live pet in the bag, but the family says they told her & they had paid the fee. Hmmm .

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
This flight attendant should be fired and go to jail for cruelty to animals. I'm sure most others would take it to a higher authority, but let's face it, we are all different.

What if she didn't know and understand the rules.

If it's possible for a flight attendant to not know the rules, it's possible for someone who doesn't travel a lot with an animal to not know the rules either.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Seems odd to me that the dog's owner wouldn't have checked on Fluffy periodically throughout the flight?
I read the daughter said the flight was bumpy and they weren't allowed out of their seats.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
This is a sad story about a misinformed flight attendant and a mom with two children on a three-hour flight from Houston to New York. The mother was asked to place the 10-month old French bulldog in the overhead bin, which she did.

When the flight arrived, the dog was unresponsive and suffocated during the flight.

To its credit, United has taken full responsibility and has stated that it has no policy which should have forced the dog to have been placed in the overhead bin.

This is awful. Who would put a dog in an overhead bin! Dogs are supposed to be small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. Otherwise, they must go in the cargo section that is supposed to be safe for animals (although I am suspicious of putting pets in cargo). This would kill me if my dog died on a flight because I listened to an idiotic flight attendant and put my dog in an overhead bin. I do not travel with my pets anymore. About 10 years ago on a JetBlue flight, my dog almost hyperventilated to death under the seat and I had to beg them to bring him water and ice to cool him off. The flight was way too warm for humans or animals. After that, I no longer fly with pets. The airlines are death traps. Bulldogs are not supposed to fly anyway. They are a breed on the warning list due to their breathing issues.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
This flight attendant should be fired and go to jail for cruelty to animals. I'm sure most others would take it to a higher authority, but let's face it, we are all different.

What if she didn't know and understand the rules.

If it's possible for a flight attendant to not know the rules, it's possible for someone who doesn't travel a lot with an animal to not know the rules either.

+1
Nowadays flight attendants have a lot more authority and can order non-compliant or argumentative people off a plane. I imagine the flight attendant would have doubled-down if the dog owner had asked to talk to say the lead flight attendant. One news show reported the flight attendant told the dog owner to put the bag in the overhead bin or they'd have to get off the plane.

I am most sorry for the little girls in the family to have to deal with the premature loss of a loved one.

A friend who loves her dogs as children, says she would never fly her dogs in the cargo hold. She thinks the air pressure in the hold is not the same as in the passenger cabin and would affect an adult dog's hearing.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
+1
Nowadays flight attendants have a lot more authority and can order non-compliant or argumentative people off a plane. I imagine the flight attendant would have doubled-down if the dog owner had asked to talk to say the lead flight attendant. One news show reported the flight attendant told the dog owner to put the bag in the overhead bin or they'd have to get off the plane.

I am most sorry for the little girls in the family to have to deal with the premature loss of a loved one.

A friend who loves her dogs as children, says she would never fly her dogs in the cargo hold. She thinks the air pressure in the hold is not the same as in the passenger cabin and would affect an adult dog's hearing.

I feel most sorry for the dog who probably suffocated to death in a very painful way.

It is the pet parent's responsibility to advocate for their pet. First they took the wrong breed of dog on the plane. Then the owner put the dog in an overhead bin. This sounds so irresponsible and unloving to do to a pet.

People love to blame the airlines but the owner should never have taken a bull dog on an airplane. You need to get vet clearance to travel on an airplane with a pet. The vet should have informed the owner that bull dogs are not safe to travel in airplanes.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
This is on United's web page about bull dogs. This passenger should never have taken this breed of dog on the airplane. Her french bull dog was 10 months old. This breed at that age is banned. I do not own this breed and even I knew this policy regarding short nosed dogs. Any owner of a bull dog should be well-informed of the health issues of their dog. I blame the owner for being irresponsible. I know every health risk for the breed of animals I have. That is part of being a responsible pet parent.

Pet policies based on origin or destination
Embargoed dog breeds: Short-nosed Embargo details Travel conditions

English Bulldogs

French Bulldogs

Olde English Bulldogges

Shorty Bulldogs

Spanish Alano/Alano
Español/Spanish Bulldog*

Adult dogs are not accepted for travel at any time
  • Embargo does not apply to puppies up to six months and less than 20 pounds
  • *Spanish Alano puppies may be accepted up to six months old, if less than 60 pounds.
See: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/animals/restrictions.html#tcm:76-6661

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just too sad. I saw the mom and daughter being interviewed on the news - the daughter did all the answering to the reporter (the mom does not speak English). I am glad United is taking full responsibly but feel so bad for the family and the poor little French Bull dog. :(

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The mom's lack of English probably contributed to the problem. United should have known the dog's breed when they sold space to the family. Wonder why it couldn't be under the seat? It was in a bag, which would not allow much air movement either. But flight attendants have federal law behind them, so I can see the people being intimidated. Passengers take small pets on planes all the time, so the mom must have been quite shocked what she was ordered to do. I don't know the children's ages, but they may have been too young to intervene.

Pens_Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I heard on the news, the carrier was extending out into the aisle. The owners were told that if it could not fit under the seat in front of them, it had to go into the bin.

The flight attendant claimed that they didn't realize that the carrier was holding an animal and they were just enforcing the rules as to where luggage must be stored.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Here is PETA's article (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). I agree with their guidelines about every owner's responsibilities for their pets.

Dog Dies After Allegedly Being Forced Into an Overhead Bin on a United Flight

A dog died on a United Airlines flight after a flight attendant allegedly insisted that a passenger place the animal in an overhead storage bin, outlets are reporting. On social media, heartbreaking accounts of the incident have gone viral. According to one witness, despite the passenger’s attempts to refuse the request, the dog (a 10-month-old puppy) spent roughly three hours confined to the poorly ventilated overhead bin—and could be heard faintly barking at some points. When the plane landed, the dog was found dead inside his carrier.

If the reports are true, then the United Airlines employee responsible should be fired and charged with cruelty to animals for this dog’s horrific, terrifying death. Animal companions belong where their guardians can see them, care for them, and reassure them during what, to them, may be a confusing and potentially distressing flight.

Remember: It’s up to each of us to keep our animal companions safe, and we shouldn’t let anyone put them in harm’s way, including by confining them to a small space with limited air flow—no trip is that important. Never allow someone to treat your animal in a way that you know is dangerous or wrong.

Be Prepared Before You Fly
Traveling with animals can be a logistical nightmare. In some cases, it may be better to leave them at home in the care of a trusted sitter, such as a relative, close friend, coworker, or neighbor. While flying might seem to be the fastest and least stressful way to go, it can be the opposite if you’re turned away before boarding or if an animal is forced to fly in the cargo hold—which can be a death sentence.

We owe it to our animal companions to protect them, so research your airline’s animal policies before committing to travel plans.​

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel most sorry for the dog who probably suffocated to death in a very painful way. What a stupid owner to put their dog in an overhead bin. Accidents happen but this was incompetence on the owner, vet and the flight attendant. A bull dog is too big to fit in an overhead compartment. Like I said earlier, bull dogs should not fly on airplanes. English bull dogs are banned from flying on airplanes.

Airlines have banned bulldogs, pugs and other brachycephalic breeds from their planes due to health risks to the dogs. They have trouble breathing due to their short noses, and their respiratory conditions worsen when flying at high altitudes in cargo holds where temperatures can be very hot or too cold.

I suspect the owner is responsible for this. The owner probably did not tell the airline what breed of dog they were taking on the airplane. Now they are suing United, I am sure. Not right! The owner was irresponsible.

It is the pet parent's responsibility to advocate for their pet. First they took the wrong breed of dog on the plane. Then the owner put the dog in an overhead bin. This sounds so irresponsible and unloving to do to a pet.

People love to blame the airlines but the owner should never have taken a bull dog on an airplane. You need to get vet clearance to travel on an airplane with a pet. The vet should have informed the owner that bull dogs are not safe to travel in airplanes.
If you cant trust the flight crew, who can you trust? Call her dumb, not-informed, stupid if it makes you feel intellectually and morally superior, but my guess this woman thought it appropriate to obey an order from someone in an authoritative position and had no idea of the possible consequences. I feel sorry for her, the child and the poor pooch.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
If you cant trust the flight crew, who can you trust? Call her dumb, not-informed, stupid if it makes you feel intellectually and morally superior, but my guess this woman thought it appropriate to obey an order from someone in an authoritative position and had no idea of the possible consequences. I feel sorry for her, the child and the poor pooch.

Why do you assume this makes me feel intellectually and morally superior? I think you probably feel intellectually and morally superior by calling me that!

I am just so angry about the poor dog being "murdered" while everyone heard the dog crying. No one even checked on the dog. I do not know the whole story. I have been researching this and the flight attendant says she did not know there was a dog in the bag. The little girl claims she said there was a dog in the bag. A lot of he said, she said. And why was the dog in a bag instead of a pet carrier? A pet carrier is designed to fit under the seat perfectly. It should not have stuck out like was reported. And why was a French bull dog cleared by a vet to fly on an airplane? That breed is not allowed on airplanes for health and safety reasons. The owner would have needed to get a vet clearance as well as paid an airline fee to fly with the dog. A responsible pet owner would know more about her breed and at the very least her vet would have warned her about flying with this breed. I have a lot of questions as to whether the owner followed protocol. Maybe she did and maybe she didn't. The articles do not say much other than to blame the flight attendant. It is very fashionable right now to blame airlines. It is also easy to feel sorry for an 11 year old girl on Good Morning America. I am sure they are seeking a big cash payout from United Airlines. It is a very sad event and also very sad that we live in a litigious society.