• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fall in New Hampshire

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're thinking about spending a few days in early October around the Lincoln area and exploring the Kancamagus Scenic Hwy and Franconia Notch areas. We're new to this area so would appreciate detailed input, enough to fill about 3-4 days.

I did a little research and would like opinions.:ponder: There are 2 scenic railways?? Not sure which we should choose, if either. Is the Cannon Mtn Aerial Tramway recommended and still running at this time? Looks like fun! We like hiking, so some scenic trail suggestions will be welcomed too! Anything we should avoid? Recommended travel guides? Thanks for any suggestions.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The Kanc and Franconia Notch will fill 2 days easily. Keep in mind there are 7 notches in NH and you might find yourself in Crawford Notch and Pinkham Notch as well. All beautiful.

I would take the Cog Railway to the top of Mt. Washington. Check the schedule on line and try to do the early one on the steam engine- and do it on a nice day. You need to plan ahead of time- checking the weather- and make reservations.

An alternative is the Conway Scenic Railway which is very nice. There is also a dinner train out of Lincoln.

A very nice visitor center in Lincoln as well where you can get lots of information.

I believe the Cannon Mountain Tramway is running. Check the schedule on line.

I would also recommend a drive out to the historic Omni Mt. Washington Hotel for a free tour in the morning and the awesome views.

We really like the Lost River- actually better then Flume Gorge (which is in Franconia Notch)

And- though it gets crowded- check out-on the other side of the Kanc- the North Conway area. Take a walk up to Diana's Baths.

You will have no trouble filling 4 days at all.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah...don't think about it, DO IT! Great place for the fall.

Scenic Rail Ride: Without a doubt, do the Cog up to the top of Mount Washington. The Lincoln and Conway rides are just ok...the Cog actually takes you somewhere worth seeing!

Hiking Trails: There are numerous throughout the area all clearly marked as you drive through. Many scenic overlooks. A few that come to mind: Flume Gorge, Lost River, Dianna's bath, the basin.

The moose tours can be fun and if you are into a bit of adventure check out dirtventures which offer ATV tours.

I don't know of any tour companies that explore the whole area, but if you are staying at Pollard Brook in Lincoln they have a lot of organized activities/outings with Cassie their adventure concierge. Current offerings here: https://pollardbrookresort.wordpress.com/?i=public

A lot of the ski resorts offer a range of activities. Loon Mountain is in Lincoln and is worth checking out. They have lift operation to the summit and last time I did it there were walking trails. http://www.loonmtn.com/

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you both and I really appreciate your helpful tips. With 2 thumbs up for the COG, we'll do that for sure! We'll stop in the visitor center as well to see what they can add to this, but I think your suggestions are a great resource and will give us more than enough to explore. Really looking forward to visiting this area! Thanks again. :wave:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
For future reference, is mid-Oct too late to enjoy the scenery? I can't take any time off of work from mid Sept-mid Oct so I am not flexible on the dates. Thanks for any info from the locals :)

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
For future reference, is mid-Oct too late to enjoy the scenery? I can't take any time off of work from mid Sept-mid Oct so I am not flexible on the dates. Thanks for any info from the locals :)

I'm not local to NH but I did this trip as a gift for my mom last year. We spent the week from 9/30 - 10/6 (staying at Franconia notch on an RCI exchg) and I think it's a tiny notch earlier than peak color but still DROP-DEAD gorgeous. My mom can't stop exclaiming wow :) everytime we drove around.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I disagree with the peak dates. I would say peak is the week going into Columbus Day weekend. That is a good gauge. It might vary by a week before or after, but after that things do brown out.

That said, it's still beautiful up there in mid October.

Another thing to take into consideration is some things will close after Columbus Day weekend, if they haven't already after Labor Day weekend.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

Depending on the year fall foliage can vary by 2 to 3 weeks. We own in the VT mountains the first week in october. It is sometimes early and sometimes late. This week is the statistical peak week. Mid October would usually be pretty late. Most years you would have some color on the late changers, but it might seem a bit bleak. Elevation and how far north effects it here as we are mid state. If we are late we drive south and lower and usually see beautiful scenery. Depending on what part of NH you could be perfect. The lakes region would probably be safe. If you are like me I prefer the mountains and will drive if I am late for scenery.

JoyC

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year the foliage season came early. My daughter just came back yesterday, she said the leaves already change color. We go to the White Mountain every fall, it is beautiful there.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
This year the foliage season came early. My daughter just came back yesterday, she said the leaves already change color.

I agree - I live in VT and work in NH at a much higher elevation, and on my way to work there are definitely spots where it's already peak foliage. In VT all we have is quite a bit of brown - I don't think the foliage will be very good in VT after the summer we had.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree - I live in VT and work in NH at a much higher elevation, and on my way to work there are definitely spots where it's already peak foliage. In VT all we have is quite a bit of brown - I don't think the foliage will be very good in VT after the summer we had.

I was just in Vermont (Smuggs) last week and the color was starting to peak through.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Just back from Maine and didn't notice much color. The resort was half empty last week but is 100% full for this week (#38). Looking out the back door here near the MA/CT border, I see a little yellow on the mountain and not much else. There are some spots in this area that turn early - but they are small areas. I'm already starting to rake leaves.