• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fake Hono Koa rental ad on VRBO

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
https://www.vrbo.com/1291229

This ad says it's Hono Koa, says it's a timeshare, but it is not Hono Koa at all, and not one picture is of Hono Koa. What kind of scam is this?

The guy emailed me back, his name is Tim. I told him this is not Hono Koa at all. I am renting a week for mid-March at Hono Koa and saw this ad for this cheap rental and thought I would never get what I am asking, and then I saw it's a timeshare that starts on a TUESDAY, and it's not Hono Koa at all. Hono Koa starts on Wednesday. What this could be is a rental of Hono Koa as an RCI Points reservation, those could start on a Tuesday, but the pictures are WAY off.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Most of the pictures look like the Hono Koa we stayed at in August to include inside the condo, the pool, and wood platform that use to allow beach access. Some of the beach pictures appear to be the Park down the street. The ones that show the large building with balconies that appears to be stucco or cement looks like the timeshare next door.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Okay, the guy changed the pictures. Of course, he had to change the pictures because they were totally inaccurate, obviously of a very upscale resort not on the islands.

He had totally different pictures, including pictures of a unit decorated with heavy draperies, gold, with sheers, two living room sofas, gold in color, facing one another, a kitchen with dark wood cabinets, etc. Not one picture of the interior was accurate, so I turned him in for having the wrong pictures. I did an online chat with someone at VRBO.

His excuse was that the picture quality requirement was too high for the pictures he could find on the web. He is also renting an RCI Points reservation, not anything he owns. He has 3 weeks he booked for May, and he is renting the entire stay, starting on Tuesday. He doesn't own that, which explains why the pictures were all wrong. He actually copied some of my pictures from my Craig's List ad, which I find annoying.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I thought RCI had a Policy of not allowing renting out. So if you really want to ruin his day Report him to RCI.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, I don't want to report anyone for that. He was advertising with made up pictures and admitted it. I don't ever turn people into RCI. I don't have the audacity to do such a thing. I am not the timeshare police, but when it's my resort someone is renting, and I notice the pictures are completely different from reality (those pictures were of a fancy house or something), then I have to complain, especially when I am trying to rent an oceanfront unit for whale season and haven't even had a nibble. It's just annoying.