• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Facebook Question

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't "do" Facebook, but I know quite a few here do. So, does anyone know if Facebook prompts users to periodically change their passwords? Trying to figure out something for my 94 year old mom. Thanks!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that I get the occasional pop-up suggesting that it's wise to change it, but that's how I take it- a suggestion. What is it you're trying to help your mom do? Does she have the mental and finger dexterity to type and swipe? For seniors of diminishing skills, modern technology that seems so easy and liberating to those just a few years younger can be intimidating and downright scary. I remember my mom being intimidated by her TV remote, so I searched high and low for one with a power button, and channel up and down and volume up and down. 5 buttons and it was just right.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No, unless she gets hacked which they will tell you if one of her friends hasn't already. If Facebook becomes aware of the hack they will lock your account and make you change your password. Just happened to me twice in the past couple of months.

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that I get the occasional pop-up suggesting that it's wise to change it, but that's how I take it- a suggestion. What is it you're trying to help your mom do? Does she have the mental and finger dexterity to type and swipe? For seniors of diminishing skills, modern technology that seems so easy and liberating to those just a few years younger can be intimidating and downright scary. I remember my mom being intimidated by her TV remote, so I searched high and low for one with a power button, and channel up and down and volume up and down. 5 buttons and it was just right.

Thanks Jim. It's a long story as to why I want to know, but when dealing with my mom, sometimes it's difficult to discern whether she's getting confused, or has been lied to by one of my siblings. :( Like I said, long story...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim. It's a long story as to why I want to know, but when dealing with my mom, sometimes it's difficult to discern whether she's getting confused, or has been lied to by one of my siblings. :( Like I said, long story...
Dealing with senior parents and family dynamics usually is (long). Could easily be somewhere between the two. FB can do frustrating things, like Mary Ann said. I was prompted to enter an email/password combo and couldn't pass the test. So I now have two FB accounts, and they seem different, depending on which device and/or browser I'm using. If I were your mom's age, I'd be tempted to forget the whole thing and buy a bunch of envelopes and stamps.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dealing with senior parents and family dynamics usually is (long). Could easily be somewhere between the two. FB can do frustrating things, like Mary Ann said. I was prompted to enter an email/password combo and couldn't pass the test. So I now have two FB accounts, and they seem different, depending on which device and/or browser I'm using. If I were your mom's age, I'd be tempted to forget the whole thing and buy a bunch of envelopes and stamps.

Right. I'd much rather deal with my mom's declining faculties than deal with my one sibling at full capability, whatever that may be...

My mom does remarkably well for her age. If I could just keep others off her computers, she'd be fine -- she's a pretty sharp lady. But when something gets messed up, I get to play sys-admin and it's often difficult to tell how things got to where they are. Did my mom forget, did my sibling lie, or am I getting a totally mis-interpreted/spun version from yet another sibling?

Fun stuff!:)

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do know that as sys-admin on her computer you can set a password that only you can access and then no one can change any settings on her computer except you.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Just remember this, if you live long enough you will become a senior citizen and I pray you will long pass three (3) scores and ten (10). Sometimes we seniors forget items like losing car keys & wallets, and we forget how to spell and use spell check on our computers. Over the passed ten (10) years my spouse and I have cared for both of our parents; until they took their last breath. It was hard and very sad watching our love ones battle with cancer and guess what. We will do it again and again. Because we both loved our parents and we still missed them.

Now, it is time to take me early nap

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Re: Mandatory Passwords Changes.
First, I don't see why its a good idea to change a password that's working well.
But one idea I heard from a fellow who was similarly annoyed, was to:
-- Choose a series of letters, add "01," and when a change is required, increase it by "1."
Thus, "Password01" would eventually become "Password99."