TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Extra charge for grandchild in Marriott/Westin hotel of $60

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by Bill4728, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Bill4728

Bill4728 Moderator

We just made "points" reservation for the Westin in Oahu and I wasn't happy about the $37/day resort fee BUT I know it is what is done now
    BUT in addition to the points, they are charging me a extra guest fee of $60/day because we'll have our 4 yr grand daughter in the room with us. WHAT?? you get charged extra for more than 2 people even in a room with 2 queen beds???

I'm unhappy

klpca likes this.
  2. bazzap

bazzap Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

This issue (in a number of locations), especially for award stays, seems to have generated a lot of postings, e.g.
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...ra-person-charges-especially-award-stays.html

3. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

Bill, that does seem to be an unconscionable charge. Have you given any thought of having your wife and grandchild wait in the car while you check in? Just wondering.... :rolleyes:

4. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Character is how you act when people are not looking, that would be dishonest IMO.

JIMinNC, BJRSanDiego, bazzap and 2 others like this.
  5. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    I would call and speak to a manager. I have seen that elsewhere for adults but never a child.

6. Wally3433

Wally3433 Guest

Character is not charging you to have a grandkid in your room, and giving that kid a toy or gift upon check in.

frankf3, Sapper, alexadeparis and 2 others like this.
  7. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

Wow. That’s something new. We used points for Renaissance Wailea a few years ago. Even there was a resort fee for cash reservation, there was no such charge for points.
    At Westin Chongqing where we recently stayed, the website also specified a charge for 3rd person. I called the hotel directly and was told there would be no charge as long as we did not request an extra bed. There was a sofa in the living room so no need for the extra bed. Hotel also provided bedding, linens, and towels for the third person. Guess policy really varies by location.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  8. Dean

Dean TUG Member

You can only control your actions. To sneak them in would be dishonest. They set up the rules and we decide whether to participate.

Old Hickory, JIMinNC and bazzap like this.
  9. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    It's an IT glitch in the reservation system. It has been thoroughly discussed on FlyerTalk. Per the T&C of the Bonvoy program (emphasis added):

3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any. All other charges, including incidentals, resort fees and The Ritz-Carlton Club level charges, are the responsibility of the Member and are not included in the Award Redemption Stay.

To ensure there is no problem at the front desk when checking in, most people are making the reservation for two beds for two adults and zero children even though a child may be present. That way the system is not computing an extra person charge.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  10. Old Hickory

Old Hickory TUG Member

So the OP is now happy?

11. jwalk03

jwalk03 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Just leave the 4 ur old off of the reservation! That is a ridiculous fee that I would never pay.

12. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

To the OP...I am very happy it was an IT glitch . But, What a sad story incident when a grandparent cannot take their grandchild on a vacation. IMHO.

13. marmite

marmite TUG Member

I'm really glad a points reservation is not subject to this ridiculous cash-grab. As a parent who still stays in a fair share of hotels when travelling, I can say that the 5* hotels are very likely to have an extra person charge, even if that person is a child. Usually with children under two years there is no charge, but I often pay more for my room when I bring my daughter (as the room needs to have an allowed occupancy of 3 persons instead of 2) even though there is no bed for that 3rd person. Then when I arrive I have the 'privilege' of paying an additional $60-$75 a night for a rollaway-bed in the room. The advertising of 'kids stay free' is often a half-truth, the fine print says 'when using existing bedding'. So if you can stuff your child in between you and your spouse in a King bed, they will sometimes allow it. Other hotels have fine print that says children over 'x years' must have their own bed.

In Asia it is even more difficult to catch a price-break, as the definition of a 'child' is younger than in the US. It varies from country to country. It is always such a relief spreading out in a 2 bedroom timeshare and having no surprises on the price! I'm glad it worked out for the OP.

14. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    In our experience, these extra per person charges are common in Hawaii when staying at hotels.

15. BigMac

BigMac Guest

It is a glitch in the Marriott System that even if you put in 2 adults 1 child they charge you for an extra person. I have spoken with Marriott phone personnel about this and they told me a) you can correct it at the hotel and they will take the charge off or b) reserve for 2 adults only and request a rollaway when you make the reservation. The actual Marriott cutoff between child and adult is 18 years. Starwood used to have a 12 year old cutoff and some hotels still try to enforce that but with my 17 year old child I tell them they are now Marriott and Marriott's cutoff is 18!

marmite likes this.