• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchangers not having full access - disclosures?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is mainly coming from the recent changes that Vidanta is doing (at least at the Riviera Maya resort) for Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe exchangers (regardless of RCI/II/SFX/etc):

Apparently only owners (or folks renting directly from an owner) currently have access to the Grand Luxxe pool, Burger Custom Made restaurant, and the Beach Club (Grand Bliss/GL).

The question I have (just in general as I don't exchange much):

If you exchange into a resort (again, regardless of the exchange company), and the resort limits access to certain things only to folks who own:

Do you think that these restrictions should be noted on the resort details (when you are booking the exchange) or on the resort confirmation/etc?

Or is the experience that it's typically "normal" to not have any notice/disclosure about this and then when you show up at the resort: SURPRISE!

And if the latter, what, if any, has anyone done? (do you show the confirmation to the resort and point out no disclosure, do you call RCI/II/SFX/etc and try to get something refunded, etc.)?

I'm not here to discuss whether owners vs. exchangers should have access to things, I'm more interested in full disclosure of anything like this when exchanging.

Thanks!

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is mainly coming from the recent changes that Vidanta is doing (at least at the Riviera Maya resort) for Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe exchangers (regardless of RCI/II/SFX/etc):

Apparently only owners (or folks renting directly from an owner) currently have access to the Grand Luxxe pool, Burger Custom Made restaurant, and the Beach Club (Grand Bliss/GL).

If you exchange into a resort (again, regardless of the exchange company), and the resort limits access to certain things only to folks who own:

Do you think that these restrictions should be noted on the resort details (when you are booking the exchange) or on the resort confirmation/etc?

Or is the experience that it's typically "normal" to not have any notice/disclosure about this and then when you show up at the resort: SURPRISE!

And if the latter, what, if any, has anyone done? (do you show the confirmation to the resort and point out no disclosure, do you call RCI/II/SFX/etc and try to get something refunded, etc.)?

I'm not here to discuss whether owners vs. exchangers should have access to things, I'm more interested in full disclosure of anything like this when exchanging.

Thanks!

I agree that there should be full disclosure. I have never had the issue of showing up at any resorts and not having access to all of the amenities shown available by the exchange company. If I did make my exchange based on access to the resort amenities listed without any disclosure that there were extra fees for said amenities or that, as an exchanger, I was not entitled to use of those amenities; I would be contacting the exchange company. After all, that's who my agreement is with (exchange), not the resort. Most of the time, the amenities are a nice feature, but are not the main reason that I would exchange into a resort. Many times, we don't use any of the amenities because it's the accommodations we're after in order to be in a particular vacation area. However, if specific amenities are listed with no disclosures that they are only for owner use; then I believe that is something that needs to be corrected by the exchange company. I would be pretty upset if I had every expectation to use an amenity and was turned away.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My recollection is that there have been complaints around that at Smuggs as well as the recent Vidanta news.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think there are several resorts that have owners lounges or specific amenities that are only applicable to owners or VIP owners at the resort. I think though the difference is there was never any expectation of exchangers getting those.
II doesn't list those specific pools and restaurants as being available or included. It is a much more generic pool(s) and restaurant which are still available.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
At Royal Solaris there are a lot of Perks for Members - Members only Bar where the liquor is better, in the 2 Restaurants Members get a different Menu for Dinner and a different wine selection, our Personal Congeire makes our dinner Reservations a day or two in advance, only Members can eat in the Breakfast Palapa by the pool/Beach, Gala Dinner on Sunday night (Surf and Turf), Festival Dinner with entertainment on Tuesday night, Free activity such as snorkeling trip, Dinner Cruise, Camel Riding, etc, Member Discount on the Daily Food Fee with an extra discount if we pay 150 days in advance, etc.

JuliGee

Reaction score

Thanks!

Most definitely there should be a full disclosure. I wonder in your case if the resort changed the rule after you were confirmed? If so, you would think they would honor you being able to use the pool.

Juli

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most definitely there should be a full disclosure. I wonder in your case if the resort changed the rule after you were confirmed? If so, you would think they would honor you being able to use the pool.

Juli

Fortunately it wasn't me, but several folks are reporting on the Mexico forums that Vidanta restricted access to various spots/locations. Vidanta is probably a bad example to use as they do frequently change things all the time (exchange fees have gone up as well).

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is one of the reason I am not exchanging into any of the vidanta properties anymore given limited pool access and $11 per person daily fee which really add up along the exchange fee

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is one of the reason I am not exchanging into any of the vidanta properties anymore given limited pool access and $11 per person daily fee which really add up along the exchange fee

I think it’s $30 pppd now.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think it’s $30 pppd now.
Yeah, at this rate there is no way that we will exchange here again. The resorts are nice, but that is way too pricey for us!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Personally, I would take any Mexican timeshare with a grain of salt right now.

Things are changing so fast due to politics, crime and the news media reports that anything could happen.
Clearly, Vidanta is making some very strong moves (usage charges, exchange charges) that could quickly change things.