• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

examples of maximizing points

girlscoutmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! New to the board, and so happy to have found it! Just sent rescission letter and am investigating resale.
To talk my husband into it, I'm trying to calculate ways to maximize points. I know a week at our home resort would likely use up all our points (if we do 7000, for example, and generally do spring break in Orlando)....but can you tell me some ways to use the open season, cash for weekends, etc that enable you to get more than your 1 week every year?
Thanks! (also know about RCI last call but don't like all the extra fees associated with it)

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Hello! New to the board, and so happy to have found it! Just sent rescission letter and am investigating resale.
To talk my husband into it, I'm trying to calculate ways to maximize points. I know a week at our home resort would likely use up all our points (if we do 7000, for example, and generally do spring break in Orlando)....but can you tell me some ways to use the open season, cash for weekends, etc that enable you to get more than your 1 week every year?
Thanks! (also know about RCI last call but don't like all the extra fees associated with it)
Well how you stretch your points depends on what you own and what you need.
For example 7000 points is usually a 2BR during platinum season. Usually a good starting point to own.

If it’s just the 2 of you and you don’t mind a studio, they are 2200 points per week so you could get 3 weeks and have points left over.
Or 1 week in a studio 2200 and 1 week in a 1BR 4800 points.
Another idea is to use your points Monday-Thursday when points are 1/2 the weekend rate and pay cash for weekends.

Lots of ways to stretch your points.
RCI last minute getaways are good value. $300 for a week. No booking fees.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats. After attending a sales presentation last June I too purchased on the resale market so good job finding tug during your recession period.

Open season is separate from your points. It’s similar to rci last call in that you can book (I think 30 days out) open inventory for cash. You should note though that folks on this board will tell you it’s not as good as a deal that it once was. I am relatively new to hgvc so I don’t remember “the good old days”.

One thing you can do to stretch points is borrow from your next years alotment which is free, but will obviously reduce your points into the next year.

Anyway welcome to tug!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The basic ways to stretch your points: Instead of home-week bookings, make a club booking and...
-- stay in a smaller unit than what you own;
-- stay in a lower season than what you own;
-- stay less than one week (3N minimum); and/or
-- stay weekdays only (check-in Mon; check-out Fri).

This week, we're staying in Orlando in a Studio, weekdays only, for 880 points.
We'll do that 4x this year, and we still have enuff for 1 week in Marco Island.

Its also possible to book RCI using fewer points than HGVC would cost, but the exchange fee of $239 for a week is high.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I believe others have given you some excellent ways to extend the one week you own. You mentioned knowing about "RCI last calls" however, I am not sure what you mean about "extra fees associated with It" If you book a RCI last call you pay what the last call price is which is less than $300+sales tax. No extra fees. Please explain.

girlscoutmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe others have given you some excellent ways to extend the one week you own. You mentioned knowing about "RCI last calls" however, I am not sure what you mean about "extra fees associated with It" If you book a RCI last call you pay what the last call price is which is less than $300+sales tax. No extra fees. Please explain.

Oh I see. I thought there was a booking fee as well as the $300 purchase price. Still so much to learn about this system! Trying to feel out all possible scenarios to know exactly what we are getting into.
Thanks!

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Oh I see. I thought there was a booking fee as well as the $300 purchase price. Still so much to learn about this system! Trying to feel out all possible scenarios to know exactly what we are getting into.
Thanks!

OK now that you are starting you learn about the system I will tell you a little about another option. We also own an RCI resort and have an RCI account that is NOT HGVC. While that is a pain since we have to pay the annual membership fee to both, it gives us the ability to view and book EXTRA VACATIONS. These are week purchases that are in addition to the last calls. They can be even lower in cost but are usually more expensive than last calls, however, they have 2 advantages over last calls. You don't have to wait until the last 45 days to book and the locations are more extensive than last calls. As an HGVC member you can book these availabilities, however, you can't view them so you must call in and ask what is available in an area. More difficult to do, but it is available.

girlscoutmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK now that you are starting you learn about the system I will tell you a little about another option. We also own an RCI resort and have an RCI account that is NOT HGVC. While that is a pain since we have to pay the annual membership fee to both, it gives us the ability to view and book EXTRA VACATIONS. These are week purchases that are in addition to the last calls. They can be even lower in cost but are usually more expensive than last calls, however, they have 2 advantages over last calls. You don't have to wait until the last 45 days to book and the locations are more extensive than last calls. As an HGVC member you can book these availabilities, however, you can't view them so you must call in and ask what is available in an area. More difficult to do, but it is available.
This is interesting....you don't have to join RCI separately, but the only way to determine availability of these properties is to call? Is that the gist of it?
When can you book? (Are they essentially just regular RCI weeks?)
Thanks!

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is interesting....you don't have to join RCI separately, but the only way to determine availability of these properties is to call? Is that the gist of it?
When can you book? (Are they essentially just regular RCI weeks?)
Thanks!

You have this gist of it. They are regular RCI weeks that either the resort association or developer owns due to delinquent maintenance or foreclosure or that the resort knows they won't be able fill by exchange do to their history. The problem is you are working in the dark. You don't know what is available and you don't know what the prices are so it is hard to visualize. The prices that I have seen over the years ranged from $135 - $1500 for a week. A few years ago I booked two weeks in a 2 BR in Orlando for October. I booked two weeks in Las Vegas in a Studio last September for this coming September. The prior year I booked one week in Las Vegas in a 1 BR about 6 months ahead and used some Honors points to stay in a hotel to make 12 nights out of it. In all cases I didn't use any timeshare points. Since you are in the dark you need to shed a little light on it and look at all the RCI resorts that are available no matter what time of the year at an area you want to go and let them tell you what is available for what price in that area at the time of the year you want. Then research those resorts and see if you want to go to and pay cash. Some of the resorts have standard ratings. I have only booked Gold and Silver Resorts.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
That is where having an independent timeshare that trades in RCI could be beneficial just to be able to see that online for yourself.

girlscoutmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is where having an independent timeshare that trades in RCI could be beneficial just to be able to see that online for yourself.
what's the cheapest way to do that? and I assume you'd have to pay another maintenance fee, correct?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
what's the cheapest way to do that? and I assume you'd have to pay another maintenance fee, correct?

Yes and no...

Yes, you would need to own another TS with a maint fee to get the RCI account started.

No, you wouldn’t need to keep ownership, you could get rid of it quickly and keep the RCI account as long as you keep paying the RCI membership fee.

You can pick up a free timeshare in the Bargain Deals forum that would get you an RCI account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, you wouldn’t need to keep ownership, you could get rid of it quickly and keep the RCI account as long as you keep paying the RCI membership fee.

That’s ofc assuming you can dump/sell it again.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Could you simply join for an extra $99 and deposit your HGVC timeshare?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Could you simply join for an extra $99 and deposit your HGVC timeshare?

You can't deposit a HGVC TS becuz your HGVC TS is not "yours" to deposit.
It's subject to HGVC's contract with RCI by which HGVC selects the exchanges.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Ah, got it. So it doesn't work for exchanges, but it might work for online visibility to cash getaways because nothing is deposited? Ie avoids having to buy/dump a small timeshare as suggested previously.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Unless you own at one of the SW Florida affiliates that allow you to trade directly in RCI and/or II. Not sure about other affiliates, but I believe most if not all of the SW Florida affiliates allow you to join RCI with your ownership, even if you have the week enrolled in HGVC. Of course, you can only deposit your owned week (many of them are fixed). Some of the SW Florida properties are dual-affiliated w/ II in addition to RCI, so you can join either (or both).

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Unless you own at one of the... Florida affiliates that allow you to trade directly in RCI and/or II.

You'd think I'd remember that, as I own a TS at Plant.Bch.Club on SE Florida Coast.

Bottom Line: A "true" HGVC TS (mandatory membership) can't be used for an independent RCI account.

Last edited: