• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ex-Timeshare Sales rep- Will Answer any ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc92869

TUG Member
Reaction score
following rationale.

If most agree they would be wrong, your IP is no more private than your street address. That's all it is, an address of your computer on the Internet.

Not pushing my previous comment, but simply advancing a response to this particular poster.

By the rationale above, IP = home adress. Would it be ok to talk about someones home adress?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not pushing my previous comment, but simply advancing a response to this particular poster.

By the rationale above, IP = home adress. Would it be ok to talk about someones home adress?

Home addresses are public information. It's an unknown for most users on TUG because most of us are not displaying our real names. For the ones that do it is a look-up that only takes a minute or two. Public info.

You logic on the IP address makes absolutely zero sense, on any level. How about this...my IP address is different than yours...did I just cross the line and violate your privacy?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I think it's been done, actually. I seem to remember seeing a few posts where TUGgers are talking about new timeshare companies and someone in the thread will use googlemaps to check out an address. I can't think of any specific threads but it's not unusual to see something like, "googlemaps puts that address in a wheat field," or, "googlemaps street view put me right at the front door of that guy's office, looks legit."

But I do agree with you that it's not okay for anyone other than a poster him/herself to publicly divulge personal addresses of any kind; that's why home/email and IP addresses are not public information on TUG. I would guess admin wouldn't publicly divulge any posters home addresses and mods wouldn't divulge actual email/IP addresses unless in unique situations where it's relevant to the topic and TUG admin has given the okay (but I can't honestly think of a situation that might require such an exception.)

It is a fine line, jc, and an interesting thought that you raised.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never said he was the same just that this tool is playing with all of us who participate within the thread

The posters on this board have hundreds of years experience, buying, selling trading and renting. This clown alleges less than 3 years with "experience" with multiple companies (can't hold a job, If any of what he has posted can be considered true)

Faking IP addresses and obtaining Internet email addresses is easy enough . . . .

Ignoring the troll is much harder

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score

these are simply not the same as private medical info that can be used, deliberately or unconsciously, to discriminate against me or make judgements. Maybe you could decide where I fit on the socioeconomic spectrum from my address but that's about it (aside from knowing how to find me).

My street address is probably in my med records since I haven't moved in a very long time. I am way more sensitive about my home address than my IP address, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Futher, I can have the same home address for a very long time, by choice, mostly, but it's not so much up to me what IP I show up with as that is up to my provider, and note that I can access the internet from many different locations that are not my home.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

I think someone could gather more info from your public screen name and the picture in your avatar and the fact you put you are in southern california in your public profile than they could if I gave them your IP address.

did I miss where the info was actually posted?

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I don't have examples in front of me - just going from memory. But I thought that there were some that required a vote to continue as timeshare. - IOW terminate unless there is vote (majority? Two-thirds?) to continue.

The Royal resorts in Cancun have a definite life and it does not require a vote to terminate. Actually it requires a super majority vote to extend the life.

I own at the Royal Mayan and the end date is in 2014. We had a vote last year to determine if most owners wanted to extend the deeds (needed super majority). Very few owners voted to extend the ownership so the resort will be listed for sale. All owners will get a portion of the profit if there is some.

The management company tried to convience us that because of the economy they may not be able to sell the resort for a profit so they recommended that we extend but we didn't take the bait. Most of the owners (like me) are happy to be able to have an out from this obigation.

Don't get me wrong, the Royal Mayan is a nice resort but I have not been able to use it the last 6 years because of the school schedules (I have a fixed May week).

This year should be the last year I have to pay for this resort and I may get a cash return to boot.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think someone could gather more info from your public screen name and the picture in your avatar and the fact you put you are in southern california in your public profile than they could if I gave them your IP address.

did I miss where the info was actually posted?

No, he was simply making a conceptual retort to something SmithOp wrote.

If most agree they would be wrong, your IP is no more private than your street address. That's all it is, an address of your computer on the Internet.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royal resorts in Cancun have a definite life and it does not require a vote to terminate. Actually it requires a super majority vote to extend the life.

I own at the Royal Mayan and the end date is in 2014. We had a vote last year to determine if most owners wanted to extend the deeds (needed super majority). Very few owners voted to extend the ownership so the resort will be listed for sale. All owners will get a portion of the profit if there is some.

The management company tried to convience us that because of the economy they may not be able to sell the resort for a profit so they recommended that we extend but we didn't take the bait. Most of the owners (like me) are happy to be able to have an out from this obigation.

Don't get me wrong, the Royal Mayan is a nice resort but I have not been able to use it the last 6 years because of the school schedules (I have a fixed May week).

This year should be the last year I have to pay for this resort and I may get a cash return to boot.

Some hotelier may buy it and you may get a few dollars. But I also wonder about shenanigans. As in acceptance of a lowball offer by a developer in which the owners get little to nothing.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some hotelier may buy it and you may get a few dollars. But I also wonder about shenanigans. As in acceptance of a lowball offer by a developer in which the owners get little to nothing.

With an ongoing management contract

Whoops that's the Wyndham business model

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Don't the owners collectively own 100% of the property? Wouldn't any net proceeds be divided? How could there legitimately be an actual loss unless the property is worth negative due to reconstruction issues?

Or they are charging an admin fee higher than the proceeds from the sale? If this happens could the owners get hit with an amount due after or during the sale? Being that it is Mexico, this would not surprise me one bit.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
Don't the owners collectively own 100% of the property? Wouldn't any net proceeds be divided? How could there legitimately be an actual loss unless the property is worth negative due to reconstruction issues?

Or they are charging an admin fee higher than the proceeds from the sale? If this happens could the owners get hit with an amount due after or during the sale? Being that it is Mexico, this would not surprise me one bit.

The proceeds of the sale (minus all selling costs) are supposed to be distributed as follows:

1. Each owner is to get a residual amount as defined in their governing docs. In my case I am supposed to get a little over $5,000.

2. If there is any money left over after the above the money is split 50-50 with the management company (Royal Resorts gets 50% of the balance and the remaining 50% is divided amonst the owners in proportion to what their residual amount was).

I don't know how many owners there is or what their residual amount is so not sure how much money would be used up for number 1 above but knowing the number of units in the resort one could assume that every unit owner would get $5,000 and come up with a ball park figure.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
The proceeds of the sale (minus all selling costs) are supposed to be distributed as follows:

1. Each owner is to get a residual amount as defined in their governing docs. In my case I am supposed to get a little over $5,000.

2. If there is any money left over after the above the money is split 50-50 with the management company (Royal Resorts gets 50% of the balance and the remaining 50% is divided amonst the owners in proportion to what their residual amount was).

I don't know how many owners there is or what their residual amount is so not sure how much money would be used up for number 1 above but knowing the number of units in the resort one could assume that every unit owner would get $5,000 and come up with a ball park figure.

So a savy "investor" could have bought up 50 Royal Resorts TS for neXt to nothing and pocket $250,000...

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
So a savy "investor" could have bought up 50 Royal Resorts TS for neXt to nothing and pocket $250,000...

I wonder how many deposits of taxes due will be requested before the 5K promissed vanquishes

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

It has been said numerous times. The IP address was NOT disclosed.

It was only disclosed that the IP addresses were not the same between the two posters. Which I can see absolutely nothing wrong with. Let's move on to the more important topics at hand please... :)

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

What does truly happen when are RTU expires? Any real life examples? I could see some properties maintaining good value so you would think owners would be entitled to something but I'm sure there are alot of write-downs that occur.

bbminded

Reaction score
A persons IP address is clearly evident to a website/forum owner. That way if they feel the need to ban someone they can do so and make sure they don't try to log back on with a different screen name. To be completely anonymous online you can simply download Tor.

It was only disclosed that the IP addresses were not the same between the two posters. Which I can see absolutely nothing wrong with. Let's move on to the more important topics at hand please... :)

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
A persons IP address is clearly evident to a website/forum owner. That way if they feel the need to ban someone they can do so and make sure they don't try to log back on with a different screen name. To be completely anonymous online you can simply download Tor.

Please look back and tell us exactly where you see anyone doing anything wrong on this thread and let us know.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Well, we had moved on, after about about 9:27am pst this morning. And then you drag us back...

bbminded

Reaction score
Again I do appreciate your opinions. Its not my intention to come off as being only defensive. I've already posted a "golden nugget" of information for those who make a habit every year of attending the long sales tours for the gifts. And everyone told me I was stupid and wrong. Well I witnessed this from the "inside" not the outside.
Its hard to leave a sales rep, manager, let alone the sales director in complete shock when it comes to the different tactics people use to try and shorten their tour and still get their gifts.
I would be more then happy to answer any questions you have. Just ask and I will answer.

bbminded, I mentioned early on in this thread that the resistance you'd get is because the people here have a long history with timeshares and disreputable salespeople. Some of these owners have been working it from all sides for a lot of years, and they've wrung every bit of knowledge and experience from what they bought. As you've seen, some of those same folks have very strong opinions, with their life experience as justification. I don't have a dog in this fight, so won't offer more than that observation.

I've been at this t/s thing only approaching ten years, and I learn new stuff here all the time. I'm looking forward to learning more from you, if you can find a way to offer substantive, proactive knowledge, instead of reactive, defensive comments. It's a tough battle, I realize, and I hope you'll be able to do that at some point.

Dave

bbminded

Reaction score
The clown is the one alleging I have only 3 years experience when I made it clear that I have far more years experience. And most timeshare reps have worked for multiple developers.

Never said he was the same just that this tool is playing with all of us who participate within the thread

The posters on this board have hundreds of years experience, buying, selling trading and renting. This clown alleges less than 3 years with "experience" with multiple companies (can't hold a job, If any of what he has posted can be considered true)

Faking IP addresses and obtaining Internet email addresses is easy enough . . . .

Ignoring the troll is much harder

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
What does truly happen when are RTU expires? Any real life examples? I could see some properties maintaining good value so you would think owners would be entitled to something but I'm sure there are alot of write-downs that occur.

We had originally been discussing a deeded ownership, when the timeshare agreement expires. I thought for a RTU, the actual ownership interest in the property expires and returns to the developer (or whichever entity to whom the developer may have assigned that reconveyed ownership interest upon expiration). The RTU owner relinquishes all ownership rights and walks away with nothing, correct?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The clown is the one alleging I have only 3 years experience when I made it clear that I have far more years experience. And most timeshare reps have worked for multiple developers.

Which developer that you worked for had the shadiest sales/business practices? What were the most egregious of those practices?

bbminded

Reaction score
RTU gives you the right to use a particular unit or unit size each year, but you have no actual real estate interest. The majority have a stated expiration date and are generally held by a trust company. Many TS outside of the US are typically right-to-use.

We had originally been discussing a deeded ownership, when the timeshare agreement expires. I thought for a RTU, the actual ownership interest in the property expires and returns to the developer (or whichever entity to whom the developer may have assigned that reconveyed ownership interest upon expiration). The RTU owner relinquishes all ownership rights and walks away with nothing, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.