TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Ever taken a "small ship" cruise?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by DaveNW, Jun 14, 2019.

1. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    I think the cruising bug his bitten me. And like any good Tugger, I'm researching the industry, trying to maximize the concept for my own benefit. :)

I've always wondered about the Caribbean island-hopping cruises on smaller ships, especially the Windjammer-type sailing vessels. The idea of fewer guests is quite appealing, and being a retired Navy sailor, anything on the water is good for me. A coworker raves about the great time he and his wife had years ago on a sailing ship like that, but that company apparently no longer exists, or the company changed names. So I'm looking for current options.

Has anybody taken this kind of cruise, or wanted to, and would you mind sharing your experience or research? I'm quite interested in what others have experienced. TIA.

Dave

mpumilia and rhonda like this.
  2. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East, Oyster Bay
    We took a River Cruise last October with TUG members. Paris to Normandy it was wonderful.
    AMA waterways but we went thru Kathy Q, now Sandy V is handling the cruises, not sure if they have another one planned? Sandy should reply to this thread.
    Silentg

DaveNW likes this.
  3. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Dave, we took a Windstar cruise from Barcelona to Lisbon. https://windstar.cruiselines.com/?source=bing&nlp=e&cn=windstar&ag=windstar I can't recommend them highly enough. There were just 125 passengers aboard. We docked in smaller ports where you could just walk off into the historic center. The whole town turns out when the 5 masted 'tall ship' (the sails are computerized) sails into the harbor. We had full access to the bridge, private tours of the galley. By lunch the first day, I was Mr. Jim to the whole crew.

That said, it isn't cheap, but discounts abound. Including generous military discounts for veterans.

Hint: On their ship names, those with 'wind' in the name are 'sail' boats while those with 'Star' in the name are power yacht style.

Jim

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Arb, Ken555 and DaveNW like this.
  4. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Thanks, Jim. Exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. But in the Caribbean. I’m trying to engage my inner pirate... :)

Dave

silentg likes this.
  5. Passepartout

Understood. They have a plethora of cruises there. The ships have an onboard platform and all kinds of watersports gizmos. sailfish boats, kayaks, boogie boards etc. and anchor in tropical coves to guests can play in the briny deep. I kind of have a hankering to take one of their many trans-Panama canal rides, though I've done it twice on big ships.

silentg and DaveNW like this.
  6. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Another endorsement for Windstar. Excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNW likes this.
  7. Passepartout

I forgot to add the 'ARRRG!'

8. turkel

turkel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge
    Marriott Grand Chateau
    We haven’t cruised yet. I don’t like crowds and I am a pain magnet. Please don’t run into me, please don’t run into me .....boom.

We are interested in trying a small ship cruise someday soon.

I get sale e mails from Windstar and have seen some pretty good deals. Their repositioning cruise at less than $800 for 2 weeks is a steal SXM to Lisbon. In 2 years when we retire I want to make it part of an extended trip across the pond.

I have only heard good things about this cruise line.

9. moonstone

moonstone TUG Member

A retired American couple we have become friends with in Belize have taken many Windjammer cruises and speak very highly of them. He is a retired Navy guy too and still loves to be on the water. We have seen a few photos from some of their cruises and they look amazing!

~Diane

10. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    That's kind of what I'm after. Big ship cruising is fine and all, if you want that sort of thing. I've done three of them now, and it reminded me a lot of my aircraft carrier days in the Navy, (sharing space with 6000 of my closest shipmates.) Hurry up and wait, always a line, lots of nonstop noise. I prefer a more casual situation, where the crew isn't just part of a huge population of faces behind the scenes.

And I love sailing. Back in my San Diego days, I owned a Catalina sailboat, and we spent a lot of time cruising up and down the coast. There is something about being down low, close to the water, that brings it all into perspective.

Dave

silentg likes this.
  11. Conan

Conan TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

12. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

DaveNW,, suggestion only, please check CruiseCritics website and asked this question. You can search Paul Gauguin, Windstar sailboats and other Windjammers cruises on CC website...IMHO.
    We enjoyed cruising with Celebrity Cruise Lines.

13. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Agreed. I've been reviewing the CC site looking for similar information. But Tuggers bring a different perspective to traveling, and have a candid viewpoint that is very helpful. Every little tidbit is useful. :)

Dave

silentg likes this.
  14. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

How small are you looking to go? Tradewinds has lots of Carribean options, and you could probably trade into one of them using RCI. These are boats not ships though, with more like a handful of cabins and 2 crew.

RNCollins and silentg like this.
  15. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Everything is an option, and I'll look closer at that. I'm looking to see what is available these days, and what the guest experience was like. A ship/boat with a few hundred passengers would be fine, on down to a couple dozen or so. I don't necessarily want to do a "bareboat" type charter, where it's a couple or two and the crew - I do want a "cruise" experience. Just something other than the "ocean liner" experience. :)

My coworker who raved about the windjammer idea goes on and on about all the drinking games they played - his favorite part, I think. Not my style, as I'm not much of a drinker, and I don't like drinking to excess. (Probably part of why my recent Carnival Cruise to Mexico wasn't as good as it might have been - I haven't seen such excessive drinking since my Navy days.)

I'm exploring ideas, so we'll see what all turns up.

For those of you who have booked smaller cruises like this, did you do your own booking, or use a travel agent, or ? Is one site better than another for that? My budget for this can't afford a $10K-a-week-pp cruise, and I'm seeing a lot of that sort of thing. (Road Scholar cruises seem amazing, but a bit too rich for my checkbook.)

Dave

16. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    You can also check on some of the smaller lines on Costco Travel Dave! Azamara, Crystal, Regent, Uniworld.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DaveNW likes this.
  17. Passepartout

Dave, our one Windstar cruise was booked through www.vacationstogo.com/ it was one leg of a repositioning cruise that originated in Rome or Athens, that continued on to Barbados. They offered a veterans discount. List price was $4,799 for a week, VTGs regular price was $2,799, and the military discounted price was $799. I haven't seen this repeated, but their 'interline' rates are similar for people in the travel industry.

If you sign up at Windstar dot com you'll get an email every Thursday with '7 for 7days (or maybe you have to be a past cruiser) with deep discounts the are just valid for a week, then you get a new batch. They are enough to make you dream of palms swaying on distant sandy shores while your every whim is taken care of even before you think of it.

DaveNW and bizaro86 like this.
  18. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Thanks, Dave! I'll check Costco Travel again. All I saw on the first try was big ship stuff. I'll dig a bit deeper. :thumbup:

Dave

19. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Thanks, Jim. Windstar seems really nice. I was going through their website awhile ago and checking amenities on the ships. Looks great!

Dave

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  20. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt High Sierra
    Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
    Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    We did a Starclipper Cruise in French Polynesia. Small (300ish) passenger sailing cruise ships. Great ambiance, limited activities (exactly to our liking)- one dining room, one evening activity, and so on. Service was awesome, it was a really nice crew to passenger ratio.

You could ride in the netting under the bowsprit while the ship was under way. I laid there for a couple hours one day, watching Bora Bora get ever closer. Priceless.

DaveNW likes this.
  21. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    My brother took the Alaska UNCRUISE last August. Only like 80 people on board. He said the food was ok and he wasn't so keen on the cabin- especially considering the money he paid.

That said, he and his family had a great time.

DaveNW likes this.
  22. planada

planada TUG Member

we are doing a Greek isles trip with Crystal in Oct on a yacht that only has 60 passengers. The price was super reasonable and it included liquor, excursions, and water sport toys. I will let you know

DaveNW likes this.
  23. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark

Ooh! Ooh!! Take me! Take me!! :)

Dave

24. am1

am1 TUG Member

I would like to take a wind star cruise out of Colon but probably not the best with two six year olds and is being young ourselves. Probably have to wait until we are old. One of the biggest problems with small boats that go to off the beaten path place.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  25. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

I loved Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (RIP.) former customers founded Island Windjammers, and salvaged one of their ships. I would sail them in a heartbeat. The even smaller windjammers that sail the coast of Maine for up to a week are fun, too—but def more rustic. These are the only ships my mother has any interest in ever cruising on, LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNW likes this.