• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Equifax Hack 143 million victims

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reactions: Tia

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
AND they require a credit card to sign up for their 'FREE' service. Unless you pro-actively cancel it, your credit card will be charged after the free trial period has ended. AND you waive the right to sue them! Such cojones! Here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ae8e4b0b5e531062976?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
Between this and the executives selling their stock before going public with the breach information, I'm getting more and more pissed at this company. Someone needs to be put behind bars! :mad:

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ironically, I received notice from a surgery center that my account had been hacked and I was eligible for a free year with equifax. Now I don't have to bother registering for that hack.

I already was hacked twice. Once from a hospital I used to work at where the records were hacked and another time from when our son applied to a college that was hacked. Both times I got the free credit monitoring which are still going on, but I still enrolled for this one because they each expire at different times.

This way I will have on going monitoring for a long while.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We got hacked in the Anthem Blue Cross deal - and actually had our ID stolen and used. I signed up for their free credit monitoring, and when we applied for a new credit card, they called us over, and over, and over about it. We would tell them it was Legit and then in a few hours get another call, as if they had no records of the last time they called.

To make it even worse - they would not talk to me - they would only talk to my husband who is busy and hard to reach at work. He told them to stop calling him and call me instead. They told him that I would have to get power of attorney to talk to them! :rolleyes:

We finally told them to stop calling period.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Between this and the executives selling their stock before going public with the breach information, I'm getting more and more pissed at this company. Someone needs to be put behind bars! :mad:

Kurt
earlier today, a news report mentioned that a Equifax spokesperson stated the three officials sold the stock as normal practice and at the time of the sales they (officials) were unaware of the intrusion. And, what are the job titles of the three officials?

Last edited:

Talya

Reaction score
I am being told I was compromised - but I am (slightly) puzzled as to whether signing up for the monitoring is a good idea or not.

Looks okay to me - so I will likely do it - they have altered the wordage regarding class action suits.

Plus years ago I was with a bank that suffered a security breach (not on this scale, of course) and those of us effected were given 3 years of free monitoring - after which we could opt to pay for it - which I did.

So this doesn't seem far-fetched to me at all - that there would be an amount of time free with a paying option following. That it is just a year would make sense given the scale of numbers of people they are paying for.

P.S. I must return on 9/13 to register.

EDIT: I have changed my mind - will not be using the Equifax monitoring offer after reading all the comments the last 24 hours. Best bet is the Federal Trade Commission site: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Their FAQ now says

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

====

I just inquired, and I got enrollment dates of 9/12 for me and 9/11 for DW.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am not sure I will sign up if I have to give my credit card a year ahead of time and then have to remember to cancel it when the year is up. That is ridiculous. But I do have free credit monitoring going on from the other breaches, so I am good. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole security breach is a scam story to get people to sign up for on going security protection!

My date is 9/13 and my husbands' is 9/15 (he did not get hacked). I will read the fine print first.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
This is getting stranger and stranger. I'm beginning to think there's no such firm called Equifax and this is some huge scam run by ex time share weasels:D

Cheers

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am not sure I will sign up if I have to give my credit card a year ahead of time and then have to remember to cancel it when the year is up. That is ridiculous. But I do have free credit monitoring going on from the other breaches, so I am good. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole security breach is a scam story to get people to sign up for on going security protection!

My date is 9/13 and my husbands' is 9/15 (he did not get hacked). I will read the fine print first.
They said your husband did not get hacked and they still offered him the free credit monitoring service?

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Both the Makai Gal and I were indicated as impacted, so I started registrations for us both. We were given two different completion dates next week. Strangely, hers is two days before mine, although I did mine first.
Same here. DH is a day ahead of me even though I registered first.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here. DH is a day ahead of me even though I registered first.
Same with me.
I won't sign up for the service if I have to use a credit card. That's ridiculous.

If any of you have AAA and aren't aware, they offer a free credit monitoring service with membership, but you have to sign up for it through their website. I have that one and their paid one (which I get for free from a different credit breach). The paid one notifies me sooner of changes to my credit report sooner than then the free one, but only by one to three days. When I have opened a new credit account, I get the notification about a month later. That emphasized the importance of having a credit freeze. If I learned someone opened a credit card in my name a month after it happened, that would create a lot of work and stress for me. I'd rather prevent it from happening than learn about it after it happened.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If any of you have AAA and aren't aware, they offer a free credit monitoring service with membership, but you have to sign up for it through their website.

Thanks for that info. I just signed up for it.
Experian just sent me an e-mail which interestingly says: We are not Equifax.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Same with me.
I won't sign up for the service if I have to use a credit card. That's ridiculous.

+1
Even tho I got a date to "complete registration' , I'm not going thru with it, if I have to give a credit card #.

DH thinks I'm in their database cause of the credit cards I got it in the last few years. He has no interest in checking whether Equifax thinks he's affected.

IMO, will keep changing passwords regularly to our online accounts. And the email acct(s) to which i get password reset and security msg checks. I probably should get a password keeper app, although our current method is working well enough.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Experian just sent me an e-mail which interestingly says: We are not Equifax.
:p Super funny! I did initially think it was them when I first heard about the hack. I'm sure they are enjoying not being the place that got hacked this time, but they were hacked before, only for the Tmobile customers who signed up during a particular time. I know because I was one of them and that is why they provide me with the free paid version of what AAA offers. :p

Tamino

Reaction score
The most comprehensive information that I have read is found on reddit. Scroll down to the heading

Things to do immediately, for everyone, right now

Three things you should probably do:

1. Particularly of importance is placing a free, 90 day fraud alert on your account at any one of the bureaus: TransUnion, Experian, or Equifax.

2. Check your file for free at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

3. If you find that you are impacted by the Equifax breach, files a CFPB complaint:
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
They said your husband did not get hacked and they still offered him the free credit monitoring service?
Experian is supposedly offering this free monitoring service to all Americans

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I put freezes on my Credit Report at all 4 Credit Reporting Entities a couple of years ago. I think it cost me $40 and consider it money well spent.

Note: the 4th Credit Reporting Entity is called Innovis (or something like this)

George

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Experian is supposedly offering this free monitoring service to all Americans

Who's to say these monitoring services won't themselves get hacked?
Then we'd be in pretty pickle. We'd need a service to monitor them.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who's to say these monitoring services won't themselves get hacked?
Then we'd be in pretty pickle. We'd need a service to monitor them.

Everything is vulnerable.
And, I suggest all of us write our representatives in government (state and Washington) to make sure we get some oversight into these three credit bureaus. To the crooks, it's one down, two to go!

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Experian service is only free for the first month and will cost $9.95 monthly thereafter.

George
You could be right, the blurb I read said made more think something like everyone, not just those impacted, could sign up for the same complimentary monitoring service at this point, nothing about two services, one for those impacted (I be free year) and one for those not (only first month free)... but again, I would not put it be beyond this greedy corp to try tricking/pulling a fast one over people at this point in time when many feel violated/vulnerable.