• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EOY vs Annual usage Star options

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Other than 50.00 fee you pay on the off year I don’t see a major issue with EOY. What are the costs of banking or borrowing points ?

Those of you that have EOY has it worked out for you or do you wish you had annual.

Also anyone have too many Star options and wish they had EOY.

Keep in mind that I will have Wyndham points and I am worried that I would end up with unused Star options some years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Some of the properties have an additional $30 fee baked into the maintenance fees for EOY weeks. So that is something to watch out for. I believe WKV is one, but SVV doesn't have this. There is no fee to borrow StarOptions other than to prepay your maintenance fees. To bank, there is a $109 fee, though it would be lower for those with higher level VSN ownership status.

At the moment, we may have too many StarOptions. I am always banking, but I just consider the banking fee as part of my annual MFs.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We started our Vistana experience by buying an EOY Premium 1BR at WKV at the suggestion of another Tugger. We enjoyed the way the system works and the resorts available, so we have added two annual Premium 1BR units there. Buying an EOY unit is a good way to start if you want a lower cost way to try the resort and system. They can be harder to find, but they do become available. With regard to the fees we have not seen anything different from our annual units other than we pay the VSN membership fee each year even though it is an EOY unit. Note that you pay half of the "annual" MF each year rather than 100% in the usage year.

Best regards.

Mike

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
If it's your only Vistana timeshare you pay the $145 membership fee every year which has an impact on the economics. That was my case and it made it a bit expensive for what I was getting.

I bought a second EOY at a mandatory resort with much lower MF for the same star options so I'm more content now.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I own an EOY odd year 81k Bella. I’m happy with it because I own in other systems also.

Plus, your membership fee includes II so you have access to Getaways. I don’t need high season time so I can book a Lagunamar or Palm Desert or Scottsdale off season and use my points for harder to get properties.

I paid a whopping $100 for it. I may buy a Kierland for spring training some day but happy with my minimal investment now.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I own an EOY odd year 81k Bella. I’m happy with it because I own in other systems also.

Plus, your membership fee includes II so you have access to Getaways. I don’t need high season time so I can book a Lagunamar or Palm Desert or Scottsdale off season and use my points for harder to get properties.

I paid a whopping $100 for it. I may buy a Kierland for spring training some day but happy with my minimal investment now.
That certainly was a great price for a Prime season SVV, even EOY. I have been watching prices a lot lately and it seems that they are going way up. I find it hard to explain, even an EOY 1BR went for close to $800 a few weeks ago on Ebay. I suspect maybe some people are buying them up hoping Marriott may fold them in to their DC program?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
That certainly was a great price for a Prime season SVV, even EOY. I have been watching prices a lot lately and it seems that they are going way up. I find it hard to explain, even an EOY 1BR went for close to $800 a few weeks ago on Ebay. I suspect maybe some people are buying them up hoping Marriott may fold them in to their DC program?

I was the one purchased the EOY SVV 1BR few weeks ago. It turned out the estoppel didn’t match the description and we backed off the offer. It was only gold plus 44k with higher MF, it doesn’t have any value..

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Other than 50.00 fee you pay on the off year I don’t see a major issue with EOY. What are the costs of banking or borrowing points ?
Those of you that have EOY has it worked out for you or do you wish you had annual.

jjking42, I used to own an annual WKORV-N OF 2 bdrm worth 148,100 SOs (now worth196k), and I found that it was too many SOs for us to use. When we bought, we had teenagers, but they soon got jobs and lives of their owns, so we ended up with more SOs than we needed for our new travel patterns. I hated having extra SOs because we'd paid dearly for them, and felt compelled to use them, and I hated limiting ourselves to Vistana properties for our 2 vacations per year. They're very nice properties, but they are in just a handful of locations, and the world is a big place.

Over time, I realized that an annual SVV-Key West, worth ~95.7k was about right for us because it allowed us to either use them to book a 1 bdrm anywhere in the network during platinum season (and the 95.7 SOs also was enough to book an OF unit), or bank one year and accumulate enough SOs to get a 2 bdrm anywhere in the network.

The downside of owning an EOY at a premium resort such as WKORV is that if you ever use SOs, you have to wait until 8 months out to book and you lose your upgraded view. So I'd never buy at a high-MF resort if I intended to use SOs to travel to other locations, or to bank/borrow SOs to get into a larger unit at my home resort. Example: If I owned a 1 bdrm Odd year WKORV OF, and wanted to bank my 2019 SOs to combine with my 2021 SOs and upgrade to a 2 bdrm, then by virtue of using SOs, I lose my OF view. Does that make sense?

Borrowing SOs looks better on paper than it is in reality. Not only do you have to pay your SOs in advance, but IIRC, you're limited to booking within a 90 day window.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

And shortly after that purchase I was offered a 2bd Plat Kierland for 10 grand. It was a great deal but I was in the middle of an expensive home remodel and let it pass.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Borrowing SOs looks better on paper than it is in reality. Not only do you have to pay your SOs in advance, but IIRC, you're limited to booking within a 90 day window.
This is no longer a restriction. It was an old rule that no longer exists.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
This is no longer a restriction. It was an old rule that no longer exists.

Thank you for the correction. Does this mean that you can reserve 8 months out? If so, then that may be no less onerous than banking SOs and paying the $99 fee. However, the point about losing your view preference is still valid.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you for the correction. Does this mean that you can reserve 8 months out? If so, then that may be no less onerous than banking SOs and paying the $99 fee. However, the point about losing your view preference is still valid.
Yes, you can book with borrowed or banked StarOptions at 8 months out. They work no different than same use year StarOptions, except that you must book inside of 8 months and you have no more home resort booking preference. Though the banking fee is now $109.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to call to make reservations with borrowed options. That's a disadvantage against those who are booking at midnight EST online for high demand check in dates.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I just went into escrow on an EOY Even 2 bedroom lockout in the platinum season worth 95,700 at SVV Key West. Paid $500 purchase price. I hope that’s a decent deal. It adds with my annual lockoff same season same resort. Questioning if it would have been worth it to get another annual? I’m New to every other year ownership. I did luck out and found someone to take my HRA phase 1 within a few hours of posting. I’m having sellers remorse since it’s my favorite resort but I need to keep telling myself I can book back in without the high maint fees lol.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I just went into escrow on an EOY Even 2 bedroom lockout in the platinum season worth 95,700 at SVV Key West. Paid $500 purchase price. I hope that’s a decent deal. It adds with my annual lockoff same season same resort. Questioning if it would have been worth it to get another annual? I’m New to every other year ownership. I did luck out and found someone to take my HRA phase 1 within a few hours of posting. I’m having sellers remorse since it’s my favorite resort but I need to keep telling myself I can book back in without the high maint fees lol.
I started w/ EOY. Easier on the wallet. Now we have added additional properties so there really isn’t a need for annual.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I started w/ EOY. Easier on the wallet. Now we have added additional properties so there really isn’t a need for annual.
I guess I went backwards. Two annuals to one annual and an EOY lol

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I was the one purchased the EOY SVV 1BR few weeks ago. It turned out the estoppel didn’t match the description and we backed off the offer. It was only gold plus 44k with higher MF, it doesn’t have any value..
Are you still interested? I know someone offloading their 2 bedroom unit at Bella for 700 including closing. Worth 81K. I was going to take it but just found an every other year 2 bd lockout platinum season I purchased instead.

teddyo333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana:
Westin Kierland (x2)
WKORV - OV (x2)
Desert Oasis (x6)
Vistana Villages - Bella
Vistana Villages - Key West
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (2BR Lockout)
Marriott:
Marriott Grande Ocean
jjking42, I used to own an annual WKORV-N OF 2 bdrm worth 148,100 SOs (now worth196k), and I found that it was too many SOs for us to use. When we bought, we had teenagers, but they soon got jobs and lives of their owns, so we ended up with more SOs than we needed for our new travel patterns. I hated having extra SOs because we'd paid dearly for them, and felt compelled to use them, and I hated limiting ourselves to Vistana properties for our 2 vacations per year. They're very nice properties, but they are in just a handful of locations, and the world is a big place.

Over time, I realized that an annual SVV-Key West, worth ~95.7k was about right for us because it allowed us to either use them to book a 1 bdrm anywhere in the network during platinum season (and the 95.7 SOs also was enough to book an OF unit), or bank one year and accumulate enough SOs to get a 2 bdrm anywhere in the network.

The downside of owning an EOY at a premium resort such as WKORV is that if you ever use SOs, you have to wait until 8 months out to book and you lose your upgraded view. So I'd never buy at a high-MF resort if I intended to use SOs to travel to other locations, or to bank/borrow SOs to get into a larger unit at my home resort. Example: If I owned a 1 bdrm Odd year WKORV OF, and wanted to bank my 2019 SOs to combine with my 2021 SOs and upgrade to a 2 bdrm, then by virtue of using SOs, I lose my OF view. Does that make sense?

I agree with you 100%. We have teenagers & have a lot of SO's (229K Annually). This is one of the reasons why we purchased Kierland and WKORV-OV directly. We enjoy going to those places and don't want to take the chance that we will not be able to reserve whenever we want. We have the additional SO's (SVV Properties) for off season (Maui) and traveling to Maui with guests during peak season (island view studio in the summer for the kids).

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify, you CANNOT borrow staroptions into a use year that you do not own, but you can bank your EOY. I have even staroptions and could not borrow into an odd year. But I can bank them into the upcoming odd year if needed.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Do you remember who the seller was? I’m finding that all of these listings are all completely incorrect and do not match anything the listing is saying. Happened 3 times.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Do you remember who the seller was? I’m finding that all of these listings are all completely incorrect and do not match anything the listing is saying. Happened 3 times.
I believe this one was from Sumday Vacations. It was listed as week six in the auction but they hadn't pulled an estoppel yet. As we know week 6 is only High season at Bella where it is Platinum on the StarOption chart.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I believe this one was from Sumday Vacations. It was listed as week six in the auction but they hadn't pulled an estoppel yet. As we know week 6 is only High season at Bella where it is Platinum on the StarOption chart.
Is it? I’m so confused on the Bella weeks. I thought it was 35-50 were actually gold plus but the other weeks were the same. I wish they spelled it out on the chart just for that phase.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Is it? I’m so confused on the Bella weeks. I thought it was 35-50 were actually gold plus but the other weeks were the same. I wish they spelled it out on the chart just for that phase.
This thread explains it. See post #6.

If you are booking SVV, unless you are a Bella owner, the points you pay are based on the SO chart.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Anyone know the maint fee for a Bella or Key West one bedroom premium. Couldn’t find the info on the sticky.