• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Enlighted me.....what is it about Cape Cod?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Cape. A place in Massachusetts that people flock to in the summer. A place that many local folks have their 2nd homes. What is it about the Cape that makes it a desired destination?

As I look ahead at the summer, we tend to take advantage of last minutes exchanges in New England I typically dismiss the Cape (and the Berkshires) for New Hampshire or Maine. But, a conversation with a coworker today has me thinking....am I missing something???

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Can't speak for the Cape, but we went to the Berkshires last October and loved it.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
We visited in early August a few years ago. We live in MD and usually either travel to US south east coast or to the Caribbeans for beach vacations. I don't know if it was a typical August Cape Cod week, but we found it too cold to enjoy the beaches. We enjoyed the week, including our visit to Martha's Vineyard, but we didn't get in the water at all (pool or beach.)

I know 'perfect temperature' is relative to what you're accustomed to... so I do understand how others love it...but it just wasn't a beach vacation for us.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
In line with Free2Roam's response Cape Cod is for locals to appreciate. The waters are cold compared to US southern beaches, the sand is nothing to write home about, if used to better. New England beaches generally are often rocky and if there is sand, often gritty.

The Cape is within travel reach of much of New England and the beaches are superior to most of those found in other New England areas. Living in New England as I do, it is the best area for beaches until down into Delaware. As a beach person I appreciate what the Cape has to offer and would prefer it over any other New England vacation spot. If you can get it last minute grab it with both hands because it is a rare thing.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am going to add one thing to this post. We are from Colorado and don't go back east much. We loved everything about it. So different from mountains and our dry air here in Denver.

We went in early May last year. We walked the sand and talked to a lot of local folks, who were friendly and helpful with suggestions on dining. We had never seen a cranberry bog before.

Loved watching people in the oyster beds. Wish I liked those nasty things. That was so interesting to me. The shopping was fun (for me), and we especially enjoyed the herring run. I have never seen anything like that. It was fascinating. We went to the Pilgrim Museum. We saw many lighthouses. We went somewhere every day.

We stayed at Brewster Green in a 2 bedroom unit. I really loved that place. We spend the evenings eating light suppers and binge-watching a couple of shows. It was wonderful. Our week before was at Samoset in Maine. Loved both places. I want to go back now, but we have to go to Oahu in two weeks. :)

We saw lobster cages everywhere. In the water, on the beach, in back yards, next to restaurants, and even inside restaurants. You go to Maine for lobster, right? Nah. I still don't like lobster. You can dress it up, fry it up, or put it on a roll with other stuff mixed in, and it is still tasteless. I think people like the butter the best. I can get behind that part.

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I've only been to Cape Cod one time...not in a timeshare...and it was okay. I much prefer Maine, NH, and VT, but to each his own. I'm thinking we'll try it in the fall once we retire. Until then...it's the White and Green Mountains for us!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
It's about a 200 mile trip to get to the cape for me and I have been going since the late 70's. I can only recall going in the Ocean there once on the National Seashore on a hot summer day. The beaches are not great, but being near the ocean is and there is as lot of oceanfront on the Cape. The last few years we have been going to the Cape once or twice a year and we have done just about everything there is to do there. Last few years our big draw has been food. The Fish & Chips there is about the best you can get and the cost of dining out is pretty reasonable. We have stayed in timeshares from Falmouth to Brewster and generally stay at Edgewater Beach in Dennisport. We haven't been on a Whale watch in years as the one we had back then could not have been any better. Many of the Cape timeshares have limited kitchens and they are not all on the beach. Brewster Green was great and roomy, but it's nice to see the ocean out the window. The last time we had dinner in at a Cape timeshare was the year hurricane Sandy hit.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in New Hampshire and we love to vacation here, on the Cape and in western Massachusetts. We love other paces as well but New England is small and everything is driveable in less than a day. Even though they are within a few hours driving time, they are all different. The Cape is both kitschy and historic, has great fresh seafood and access to the Martha's Vineyard. What I truly love, though, is the air. Even with too many people and too many cars in the summer, the ocean air on the Cape is "something." We have stayed up and down the east coast - from Florida to Maine - and there is something about the air on the Cape that is evocative of the untamed Atlantic. That's the best way I can sum it up. Doesn't pass the common sense test but that's the way it feels to me. Everytime we go in July, I think I must not be the only one...:)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Never been there, but I'd really like to see it someday. I've visited every other state in the rest of the USA, but have never been north of upstate New York. So that upper right corner (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine) is on the list.

Dave

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Never been there, but I'd really like to see it someday. I've visited every other state in the rest of the USA, but have never been north of upstate New York. So that upper right corner (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine) is on the list.

Dave
Put it on your list. We loved the small towns in the area around Lee MA. We also went to the the replica of the the original Star Trek set in Ticonderoga NY :thumbup::thumbup:.

We loved the small rural towns.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We grew up in Massachusetts. Every summer my family would go to Wareham, rent cottages with Aunts Uncles and cousins. Was so fun, used to visit other relatives that lived over the bridge. Most people don’t consider it the Cape until you go over the Bourne or Sagamore Bridge.
We have stayed on the Cape probably more than any other location in Massachusetts. Both of our families still live in Massachusetts so we make many visits to the state. We live in Florida now and consider it home. But it’s hard to explain the attraction to the Cape it’s just a familiar and nice location.
If you get an exchange there, you will enjoy it more in late spring or early fall. Less traffic and nice weather not searing hot or freezing cold.
Let us know if you decide to visit.
Silentg

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I previously stated, I can't speak of the Cape, but I can recommend western MA (Lee) and the surrounds.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We also enjoy western Massachusetts.Last May we stayed at Berkshire Mountain Lodge in Pittsfield. We had a wonderful time. Lots to do there. We never went there very much but plan to go back again soon.
We visited upstate NY while we were there and The Norman Rockwell Museum.
There are quite a few timeshares in the Berkshires. Next time we will try another one.
We liked Berkshire Mountain lodge, but it was a small one bedroom. Other timeshares have 2 bedrooms so we will try for that.
Silentg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We spent a week on the Cape 5 years ago during May just before my son got married on Long Island. We enjoyed it. Never got in the Ocean and only did indoor pools. We can say they do not like spicy food or they do not understand spicy food. We bought "Spicy" Italian Sausage at the local meat department for a breakfast meal. It had no kick and was almost tasteless. We had Sushi. The Washabi (actually green dyed horseradish) had no kick. We finally asked at a Chinese restaurant "what was the deal with the lack of spicy and flavor on the Cape". They waiter suggested we order the Chinese Food 5star plus if we wanted any kick. It was better.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
For us, lobster, clams and other seafood! Going for two weeks the end of May. Our third trip to the Cape. Never been in high summer months so haven't experience crowds, heavy traffic or long waits at restaurants. Most of the Cape seems quaint and each area just a bit different. There's a lot to explore there. We love shopping in Chatham and Osterville, both lovely towns. Wellfleet for oysters and arts & crafts. Taking the ferry over to Nantucket and walking the town. Basically just rides in all different directions, stopping, looking, walking, shopping and eating! There's just something about it!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Cape Cod is one of the Big Blue Fin Tuna destinations. Striped bass is also caught out here. I don't know what else this area is known for but fishing is one of of the popular activities.

Bill

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We use to go to the Cape a lot. I believe you would enjoy it, great seafood and places to explore. Our preference is to go to the end Provincetown, kind of a small Key West. We now prefer coastal Maine over the Cape because of the traffic on the Cape. Prime time there is lots of traffic.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never was crazy about the Cape. Been there only twice, as recently as this past September, including Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. Many moons ago we were there for whale watching out of Provincetown which I highly recommend.

In fact, I am not even crazy about coastal (or even inland) Maine. I am not sure why. I mean- I definitely don't like traffic and crowds. So that is number 1.

I agree with Panina- the Provincetown end of the Cape is really nice- all along the National Seashore from end to end (ends at Provincetown)- is really nice/interesting. That I did like a lot, though I would be worried about swimming due to sharks (there were sea lions close to shore when we were there. Loved watching them.) and the intense waves. And I am a person who loves to be in the water. But just being at the ocean on a sunny, breezy day was awesome as the Atlantic Ocean is intense. I do love seafood a lot also.

Maine to me is also crowded and traffic on Route 1- ugh. I did love Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor and also Camden. Stayed at the Samoset in Rockport.

But I really think it comes down to "vibe". A feeling. People ask me why do I love Vermont and I always say it is a "feeling". Nothing you can put into words. I love the big lake with the Adirondack views. I love the mountains and the cool air. I love the farms. (I live an an area somewhat similar in NY). I also like NH a lot- again- the mountains and lakes, the wilderness. It is like a more rugged version of Vermont.

Maybe it is the elevation in VT and NH. I don't know. But I love the mountains and the balsam smell and well- all of it. I love going in the crystal clear lakes with the mountain views all around me. Yeah- they are real cold- but a good floaty and I am only partly submerged and it feels great when the sun is out. I can stay out on the lakes for hours. And many of the state parks have small, sand beaches- good enough for our camp chairs.

We only live about 2 hours from the Berkshires but that area does not do it for me. It's nice, but I think it is boring. Once you do the main sightseeing that is it. Maybe because we live so close, but really we would just assume stay home. The resort we stayed in was nice- Vacation Village.

All this said-If you have never been to the Cape you should go. It is something to see and experience- the National Seashore. And take the speed ferries out to the islands (Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket). Get your tickets in advance on line to save time. We also got tickets for tours of the islands once we arrived as we were only there for the day and wanted an overview. That made things easy for us. Some people take bikes over or rent them when they get there. Some people, stay on the islands for a day or two.

As most places in the Northeast, you also can never count on the weather, so keep that in mind. It rained a lot when we were there, but it was an unusually extremely rainy year overall in the Northeast,

Last edited:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I live in the Berkshire foothills, which may leave me unimpressed by the Berkshires. Once you get north of Pittsfield, you are really in the sticks. Stayed at Vacation Village once - can't remember the other resort on the next mountain- nothing to speak of in miles. If you go there, I suggest staying south of Pittsfield and north of Great Barrington. Winter is popular for skiing and in the summer Tanglewood is open with various musical entertainment. The Rockwell Museum is a bit away from Stockbridge and it took me 25 years of living in the area to finally visit it. Route 7 from Great Barrington south to the CT border is loaded with antique shops. Stockbridge is nice place to park and walk around - tho it's not very big, but Alice's Restaurant is long gone.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We were in Pittsfield last May Tony, I should have looked you up. You might have been on vacation anyway?
Nice to see you back on TUG.
Silentg

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I suspect the Cape is a lot like the Outer Banks -- if it's what you grew up with, that's your idea of a vacation spot.

I've been to and enjoyed both places but I don't think either is on our short list.

I'd rather go to Newport, RI than the Cape. I'd rather go to Myrtle Beach than the Outer Banks.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I suspect the Cape is a lot like the Outer Banks -- if it's what you grew up with, that's your idea of a vacation spot.

I've been to and enjoyed both places but I don't think either is on our short list.

I'd rather go to Newport, RI than the Cape. I'd rather go to Myrtle Beach than the Outer Banks.
I agree I haven’t been to the Outer Banks, but love Myrtle Beach.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
We rotate between Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head each year (own all 3, rent what we don't use.) All three make great summer beach vacations. Each location has a different feel... Outer Banks feels less touristy IMO.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
We were in Pittsfield last May Tony, I should have looked you up. You might have been on vacation anyway?
Nice to see you back on TUG.
Silentg
I'm about 50 miles or so from Pittsfield. I was at the Cape from May 18-25 at Brewster Green. Seems like we nearly bump into each other every few years.