• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ending a Long Tradition, Southwest Will Stop Serving Peanuts

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Ending a Long Tradition, Southwest Will Stop Serving Peanuts
From the Associated Press/ AP News/ apnews.com

"Southwest Airlines will stop giving away peanuts on flights next month, ending a tradition that goes back decades.

The airline said Tuesday it was pulling peanuts from all flights because of concern for passengers with peanut allergies. They will be replaced by pretzels and, on some longer flights, other free snacks....."

Richard

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Fine by me. I prefer pretzels. If I want anything more substantial, I bring it myself.
For our last SWA flight, we brought heros & hot fries to go, across from the gate.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
On a recent longer flight, Southwest served Belvita cookies - the orange / cranberry flavor - for free.
Them is good eating!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
But if they are not serving peanuts, what am I going to feed my support Peacock!?!?!?

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
No problem with not eating / serving peanuts, I just want & needs something to snack on.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
But if they are not serving peanuts, what am I going to feed my support Peacock!?!?!?

Cheers
The kitten in the carry on bag....

elviraroose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BBS Member Codeword
Thanks a lot for sharing the thread. I really appreciate the notification you have published so far. This is really important!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started flying Southwest back when they only serviced three Texas cities. I quit them when they changed their Frequent Flyer Program from segments to miles. Now this.

George

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hmm.

Me thinks the PR department and the bean counters (or is it peanut counters?) got together for lunch one day.
The bean-counters complained about the cost of peanuts.
The PR folks complained about allergic passengers and peanuts/wheat/shellfish/milk/soy/eggs and how to improve their image.
Two martinis later, SWA save a few millions a year and PR made a hit with about 0.6% of Southwest's passengers.
The other 99% of the passengers would like the peanuts back.
IMHO

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
At boxed.com, 48 bags 1 oz. bags of peanuts is $7.99 ($20 min order).
Your first order ships free... I have no affiliation with boxed.com

That should cover you for awhile.
1492314838606.jpg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you suffer from peanut allergies, or know anyone who does, you should be very happy about this. My guess is, it got to be too much trouble to monitor individual flights when they would find out they had someone on board with a peanut allergy and just decided to do away with them on all flights. Smart, in my opinion.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I actually know someone with a child that had multiple significant childhood allergies. They always carried epi's with them.

They learned how to cope with living with 99% of the population that didn't have severe sensitivities to foods and non-food items.
It was not easy. Unsupervised activities were very limited and there were no meals at restaurants that were not familiar with their needs.
I understood the problem, I felt the pain they endured.
Thank goodness, the symptoms have faded over the years.
A bag of peanuts wasn't the real enemy. A young child eating a PBJ and smearing dirty hands on seats, rails, doors etc... was the real danger.

I'm sorry, but I'm in the group that doesn't believe that PB, milk, nuts and other allergens should be removed from public schools, transportation etc....
If this sounds harsh, I'm sorry for that. But, it doesn't change my opinion.
Honestly, for someone with significant reactions, just eliminating peanuts from the current menu doesn't really do that much overall....the terminal, aircraft and passengers will continue to be saturated with dust and contaminants--not to mention the thousands of non-peanut products that are produced in plants/kitchens that contain nuts or nut-byproducts.
Sounds good on a 'PR' tag-line, but this really has a minimal impact for those with significant allergy responses IMO.
If I'm wrong, then good for everyone that gets relief.

Of course, they'll probably end up sitting next to @Talent312 who'll be munching on 48 bags of the stuff.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Thanks a lot for sharing the thread. I really appreciate the notification you have published so far. This is really important!
Future scammer.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I don't like peanuts or peanut butter, but I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I don't know what it is about those things. Anyway, Rick will miss our two packets of peanuts, but I don't care one bit. I guess he will bring snacks with him from now on.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
At boxed.com, 48 bags 1 oz. bags of peanuts is $7.99 ($20 min order).
Your first order ships free... I have no affiliation with boxed.com

That should cover you for awhile.
1492314838606.jpg

Must be cheaper then bagging a costco sized bag of peanuts into 1 ounce bags for my kids.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish airlines would do the same for gluten intolerant folks. All those freshly baked cookies, nada. Bread, nada. Breaded meat etc, nada. There are lots of great testing gluten-free cookies, bread, etc... but no, they don't bother. Off my soap box.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I wish airlines would do the same for gluten intolerant folks. All those freshly baked cookies, nada. Bread, nada. Breaded meat etc, nada. There are lots of great testing gluten-free cookies, bread, etc... but no, they don't bother. Off my soap box.
Are those who are gluten intolerant affected just by being in contact with foods having gluten?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are those who are gluten intolerant affected just by being in contact with foods having gluten?
People with Celiac disease can get deathly ill and end up in the hospital if there is any sort of cross contamination during food preparation. The answer is yes to this first group. For those who are Celiac, their food must not be prepared in the same kitchen or in close proximity with other regular food.

There is a separate group that is non-Celiac gluten intolerant who gets terrible upset stomach/instestinal issues with some trace of gluten in the food. I fall into the 2nd group. If I have the amount of gluten equal to about half a wheat cracker, I end up with severe stomach cramps and for the next 4 hours or so, I spend more time in the bathroom than out. Total misery. Fortunately I have great discipline and I just don't get tempted to eat food that is not gluten-free. Not eating gluten was a total life changer. If only I had realized years before.

The part that may be confusing and annoying is that some people make it a fad, where they choose to be gluten-free, paleo etc because they believe they are healthier that way.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hmm.

Me thinks the PR department and the bean counters (or is it peanut counters?) got together for lunch one day.
The bean-counters complained about the cost of peanuts.
The PR folks complained about allergic passengers and peanuts/wheat/shellfish/milk/soy/eggs and how to improve their image.
Two martinis later, SWA save a few millions a year and PR made a hit with about 0.6% of Southwest's passengers.
The other 99% of the passengers would like the peanuts back.
IMHO
This!!! they are cutting to save costs while selling it as a customer service improvement. Classic corporation M-O.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
They were handing out gluten-free snack mix on the last Delta flight I was on. That stuff was nasty. I should have opted for the Biscoff instead.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They were handing out gluten-free snack mix on the last Delta flight I was on. That stuff was nasty. I should have opted for the Biscoff instead.

I thought the Schar Mini Butterkeks that one of the airlines handed out was pretty good.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
They sell Biscoff at Costco now.....(big pack) they keep pretty well.....

Nothing makes a home latte or espresso sing like nice Biscoff sitting on the saucer......
upload_2018-7-12_10-37-3.png

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have dairy allergies. Not life threatening though - just personally distressing. I've had food issues my entire life. Sometimes it's tough to find something to eat but it's just the way it is. Probably the worst is dessert - often no dairy free options.

I'm not a peanut fan so I don't care about the change on Southwest. And I am super glad that I don't have a kid with a severe nut allergy. That must be a pain in the butt on a daily basis. I had a Celiac girl in my girl scout troop in the 90's before anyone knew it was a thing. Her mom called before every meeting to see what we would be eating for our snack and then packed an appropriately similar snack for her daughter. She even made gluten free pizza once. You adjust.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I remember reading a few years back about a child who was so deathly allergic to nuts, the elementary school she attended had to cut down the large pecan and walnut trees on the school grounds. The trees were 50-60 years old. That is quite an allergy.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My brother was allergic to nuts. Peanuts (legumes) and almonds (fruit) didn't bother him, but he was not all that interested in eating them. My parents rushed him to the local hospital when he was about 3 and had gotten into the Brazil nuts in the Christmas nut bowl -- that was the first time they realized he had a nut allergy. ( My memory of that night when I was 6 years old was a strange man opening the unlocked car door while my 4 year old sister and I were waiting and reaching inside to turn the car lights off). So no nut products in our house after that. As an adult he was known to get up out of his chair and go find a restaurant manager (or even go into the kitchen at times) when he bit into something that "shouldn't have had nuts in it" but did. One bite was all it took. It was pretty amazing how many things had walnuts in them that weren't announced.