• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[emoji106]gotta love those short term rentals[emoji106]

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I hear you. I suppose I’m not a fan of being locked in to anything. I know many owners feel the MFs are quite reasonable for many of the points you outlined and many feel they get great value for their MF because their resorts are very nice.

It’s just my math in my head. I just can’t get over 50 k a year and up is needed to maintain a condo and 1/50 of the common areas. That’s just me though and perhaps it’s because I relate my costs to my home and it’s doesn’t cost that much.

Yes, I used to own timeshares and frankly rising MF was why I dumped all of them. I found it was better to rent them when I wanted one and have better selection of location, etc.

That said, I did enjoy my timeshare years and still enjoy some of the timeshare resorts I have rented. There are many beautiful resorts out there.

The reason I engage in TUG is I find the owners here wonderful people. I learn a lot about different places and do get great rental deals. The forum is engaging which is nice too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fred,I fully understand your posts. It’s nice to get a nice LMR and you are not to blame for taking advantage of the deals you have found.
Also Tuggers, just read some of our posts on what great deals we have found on timeshare resales. I have only rented a week to another Tug member once and it was a week I got when I bought a timeshare, a bonus. We rented from a TUG member a few days at KoOlina to go with our exchange with a TUG member to Maui. I wish we could politely share are good experiences with each other without getting upset.
Silentg

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Fred,I fully understand your posts. It’s nice to get a nice LMR and you are not to blame for taking advantage of the deals you have found.
Also Tuggers, just read some of our posts on what great deals we have found on timeshare resales. I have only rented a week to another Tug member once and it was a week I got when I bought a timeshare, a bonus. We rented from a TUG member a few days at KoOlina to go with our exchange with a TUG member to Maui. I wish we could politely share are good experiences with each other without getting upset.
Silentg

Thank you and I think it’s very nice that people share their vacation experiences. Even though I no longer have a timeshare, I enjoy reading those who found a gem of a timeshare on eBay and paid a dollar for it or see a tugger generously give away a nice place.

Someone earlier said they think I underestimate the sense of community on tug. The reason why I engage here is because it’s a nice community. I think most would agree that bragging about an awesome experience or a great timeshare deal whether it’s renting or ownership is fine. I am happy to hear when someone got something they enjoy at a great price.

One can learn a lot here whether they own a timeshare or not.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I should add I have seen many posts from people who just paid retail and ask whether they got a good deal. TUGGERS are quick to respond by saying they should rescind and buy resale for 1000s less. To me, that’s providing a good service from a strong community. I have never thought the community is showing poor taste by telling that person to rescind and mooch from someone who did pay retail at some point. They simply advise that great deals can be had and one can get the same thing at a smart price.

I see TUGGERS are proud to point out where the deals are in resale and think that’s nice of them.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The rental market NOW for timeshares is MORE than just TUG or Redweek of yester year. Craigslist started the internet web rental BOOM ... and a Google search might show MANY MORE venues. And inventory is NOT just from RCI/II exchangers but from the exchange companies or the management companies of the resorts directly. A floor at one of my resort was RENTED by a vacation club .. who happily misled our resort guests into believing they where buying a package of stays at that resort (not that vacation club rented a floor in the building which was NOT owned by the resort).

I have seen or heard people bragging about 'sampler' packages or sales presentation used for 'cheap' PRIME vacation stays ... usually, 1/2 of the maintenace fees and WHAT a fool they would be if they ever brought ANY timeshare. They brought into a Vacation Club.

We all have personal opinions about the "Last Minute Rental" thread on its $100 per night limit. I SELDOM post listings on that thread. I have paid money to post in the TUG Marketplace and on Redweek. Craigslist has NOT been worth even my time when I tried that for several seasons.

And I recently listed multiple weeks for sale with my one resort's Resale Broker .... I have other things to do that run timeshare rental ads and get offers BELOW my yearly Maintenance Fee COST. Both my summer and winter weeks.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The rental market NOW for timeshares is MORE than just TUG or Redweek of yester year. Craigslist started the internet web rental BOOM ... and a Google search might show MANY MORE venues. And inventory is NOT just from RCI/II exchangers but from the exchange companies or the management companies of the resorts directly. A floor at one of my resort was RENTED by a vacation club .. who happily misled our resort guests into believing they where buying a package of stays at that resort (not that vacation club rented a floor in the building which was NOT owned by the resort).

I have seen or heard people bragging about 'sampler' packages or sales presentation used for 'cheap' PRIME vacation stays ... usually, 1/2 of the maintenace fees and WHAT a fool they would be if they ever brought ANY timeshare. They brought into a Vacation Club.

We all have personal opinions about the "Last Minute Rental" thread on its $100 per night limit. I SELDOM post listings on that thread. I have paid money to post in the TUG Marketplace and on Redweek. Craigslist has NOT been worth even my time when I tried that for several seasons.

And I recently listed multiple weeks for sale with my one resort's Resale Broker .... I have other things to do that run timeshare rental ads and get offers BELOW my yearly Maintenance Fee COST. Both my summer and winter weeks.

I agree. The rental market is robust and very competitive. You are right that even resorts are getting into the rental market game. That has caused pressure on pricing. I am linked into a few of the timeshare resort rental sites and have seen rates drop like a rock especially last minute.

I do know a few people in tug make a living renting their units. Most say they do fine but sometimes eat a loss on last minute stuff. They say you have to work it hard due to increased competition.

From what I know, those with the best weeks and in demand resorts do the best on profiting. Goes back to location, location, location and amenities.

To give you one example, I got a 2 bedroom ocean front in Kauai this February for 850 for the week from the resort. I just booked it so it was last minute. Two weeks before, that same 2 bedroom was quoted at 2550. The resort is rated 4 stars. First time staying there but I have wondered through it a few years back and it’s full of amenities. What was interesting was daily housekeeping was included. That’s rare but nice.

I just checked. The MF there is 2137.00. So yes, a great bargain.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I find a distinction between developers selling timeshares retail and TUG assisting buyers in learning how to save money buying resale and any rental transaction between TUG members. Comparing these scenarios does us a disservice, I think. Similarly, the example of the resort renting at a lower price last minute is not the same as renting last minute from an individual timeshare owner.

For myself, and I think almost everyone here, I have no difficulty trying to find the best price possible based on the market rate for timeshare purchases. We all knew when buying that typically values fall over time, and that’s the risk we assume when purchasing.

Rentals, on the other hand, is a very different transaction and is perceived to be tied directly to the MF cost of the week (which is still less than its true cost, since there is the cost of acquiring the deed, opportunity cost, etc). When a resort or exchange company offers last minute specials, I find that a cost of their doing business. In my opinion, this is the result of either poor marketing on their part or a slump in demand. Either way, it’s their business and their responsibility to rent that week and recoup something, yet because it’s their business there’s nothing personal about the transaction whatsoever.

Renting from an individual is a very different scenario, and I respect those that opt to rent their week in all cases other than those who purposefully purchased their week for rental as a side business (in which case you have zero sympathy from me if you can’t rent for your MF, since this is now a business transaction and similar to the resort or exchange company responsibility).

I’ve rented multiple times from individuals and companies. I would never, ever, insult TUG members by saying I’m pleased at my great price at your expense. That’s just adding salt to a possible open wound. There are so many better ways to express yourself in showing appreciation than the way the OP has done in this thread. It sounds like it wasn’t on purpose, but it was very poorly worded.