• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite status at resale prices!

flexonguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just as an FYI - there are also 2 locations in the states that do authorized HGVC resale with points counting toward elete (or what ever) status, and 1 more coming on line within the next 30 - 60 days (estimate). I have all the paperwork at home, but am in the process of purchasing one.
So how does it work? If I already have 15,000 resale points and buy one more week do my resale points also count towards total Elite points or just the points purchased from the qualified reseller?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
So how does it work? If I already have 15,000 resale points and buy one more week do my resale points also count towards total Elite points or just the points purchased from the qualified reseller?

I believe only those bought from HGVC resale count. Then again, if I am mistaken, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I believe only those bought from HGVC resale count. Then again, if I am mistaken, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong.
No, you are correct. Only points bought from a Hilton sales staff member count toward Elite, and previous outside resales will never count. There seems to be some doubt whether or not at some locations if a resale week bought from the sales staff counts.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really, which Facebook group?
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Members. I know of a very active person on that group recently getting booted because the HGVC sales members in that group were complaining about his posts regarding all the resale properties that are available and what the market for resales is really like.

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is elite status all that? It really doesn’t look like it’s worth the added cost, in my opinion.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is elite status all that? It really doesn’t look like it’s worth the added cost, in my opinion.
So I have Elite "by accident" (as I call it) since we got it by buying a resale week from the sales rep at the Surf Club, and our original week was grandfathered in because it was bought via an authorized reseller (that path is now closed). Being Elite does have a few nice perks, but it is certainly nothing I would pay thousands extra for. They list the perks on the web site, so you can decide for yourself if you wanted to pursue it.

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I have Elite "by accident" (as I call it) since we got it by buying a resale week from the sales rep at the Surf Club, and our original week was grandfathered in because it was bought via an authorized reseller (that path is now closed). Being Elite does have a few nice perks, but it is certainly nothing I would pay thousands extra for. They list the perks on the web site, so you can decide for yourself if you wanted to pursue it.

Kurt

I saw the perks, but thought I was missing something. If we didn’t buy resale, we wouldn’t be buying. We have to learn to use our first one before we go buying more.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Members. I know of a very active person on that group recently getting booted because the HGVC sales members in that group were complaining about his posts regarding all the resale properties that are available and what the market for resales is really like.

Kurt

I wondered what happened to the guy posting all the eBay listings. TBH most of them were high mf per point anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Kurt

I am in that group, but must have missed that excitement somehow.. The problem with FB groups is the moderators set sometimes arbitrary and people get bounced with little or no warning...

I wondered what happened to the guy posting all the eBay listings. TBH most of them were high mf per point anyway.

other than alerting people to the fact that resale is much cheaper, not sure posting all the eBay listings added much to the conversation... resales are pretty easy to find, and I have the eBay app myself... I agree a lot of the ads that were shared the ones with a super cheap asking price and poor point ratios

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am in that group, but must have missed that excitement somehow.. The problem with FB groups is the moderators set sometimes arbitrary and people get bounced with little or no warning...
You didn't miss anything that was posted in the group -- I PM'd him and he told me what happened.

Kurt

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Arbitrary is right, a few months ago one of the members got booted because she was advertising a B&B rental she wanted to start up, now she’s an admin, go figure...

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I got my Elite status when purchasing Surf Club, but that was a few years ago. Some on Facebook posted a few days ago that their resale from a SW Florida sales office didn't count toward Elite, but I am suspect of some of those posts since there are a few HGVC sales people in that group that constantly spread misinformation. But who knows, the rules might have changed.

Kurt
The rules may have changed or the people or positions may have changed. We purchased 4 resales from an HGVC RESALE Associate in Southwest Florida many years ago and got Elite Status. I don't think she is there anymore and the people who sell resales in that area may not longer be HGVC RESALE Associates.

rdw95

Reaction score
We are in the process of purchasing a resale property through HGVC in SW Florida. We were referred to the selling agent through the HGV Corporate office. Because they are an authorized HGV reseller, they count toward Elete status, and this purchase will put us over the limit. As we are in the middle of the transaction, I will keep everyone posted of the outcome. There was some official paperwork in the transaction that listed these sales, along with Scotland as official HGV resales. As with all properties, the price was somewhat dependent on which week is purchased. Our purchase price is right at one dollar per point. It would have been more if we had purchased a spring week, but wanted a summer week which is great for us.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We are in the process of purchasing a resale property through HGVC in SW Florida. We were referred to the selling agent through the HGV Corporate office. Because they are an authorized HGV reseller, they count toward Elete status, and this purchase will put us over the limit. As we are in the middle of the transaction, I will keep everyone posted of the outcome. There was some official paperwork in the transaction that listed these sales, along with Scotland as official HGV resales. As with all properties, the price was somewhat dependent on which week is purchased. Our purchase price is right at one dollar per point. It would have been more if we had purchased a spring week, but wanted a summer week which is great for us.

That is great that you are able to make a purchase at a reasonable price to obtain Elite Status. You mention you purchased a "Summer Week" for less than a "Spring Week" would be. I am not familiar with the SW Florida Properties and their Seasons(Platinum or Gold). I can understand you wanting a "Summer Week" to use for the family, however, the exchange value in the HGVC system goes by points and for instance a 2 BR Platinum is 7000 points while a 2 BR Gold is only 5000 points. What point value was your purchase and what was the price and point value of the "Spring Week?

rdw95

Reaction score
That is great that you are able to make a purchase at a reasonable price to obtain Elite Status. You mention you purchased a "Summer Week" for less than a "Spring Week" would be. I am not familiar with the SW Florida Properties and their Seasons(Platinum or Gold). I can understand you wanting a "Summer Week" to use for the family, however, the exchange value in the HGVC system goes by points and for instance a 2 BR Platinum is 7000 points while a 2 BR Gold is only 5000 points. What point value was your purchase and what was the price and point value of the "Spring Week?

A spring week sold last year for 6 times what our summer week is costing us, for the exact same unit! Our week is worth 5000 points, but we also plan on using it fairly often, as we can drive down from the Orlando area, which is easier than flying to other locations.

rdw95

Reaction score

rdw95

Reaction score

We were able to purchase a summer week with 5000 points, which works well for us. The property has fixed weeks. The EXACT same unit we will be getting except that it was a spring week sold last year for over 6 times what we are paying for our summer week. Granted, we are getting an excellent deal. We plan on also using it regularly, and as we all know, the SW Florida HGV properties are hard to get. Another thing is that we can drive to it from Orlando, which is easier than flying. We will be able to pack food for the week in a cooler and just "move in". I looked at resale properties and when I found out that I could purchase through HGV resales at the same price point, and have the points count toward elete, it just made sense.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were able to purchase a summer week with 5000 points, which works well for us. The property has fixed weeks. The EXACT same unit we will be getting except that it was a spring week sold last year for over 6 times what we are paying for our summer week. Granted, we are getting an excellent deal. We plan on also using it regularly, and as we all know, the SW Florida HGV properties are hard to get. Another thing is that we can drive to it from Orlando, which is easier than flying. We will be able to pack food for the week in a cooler and just "move in". I looked at resale properties and when I found out that I could purchase through HGV resales at the same price point, and have the points count toward elete, it just made sense.

As I said you made a great purchase and got just what you wanted. Since you are in Orlando the seasonal difference between the 2 locations is insignificant. Since we are in NY the difference is great and a summer week is useless to us, we value winter and early spring weeks. You mentioned a spring week WAS 6 times the cost, what was the cost now?

rdw95

Reaction score
We purchased at Tortuga, and the contract is now listed on our HGV log-in page listed as New Contract. It counts toward elete status. One of the properties on Marco Island counts, and......they are opening up an official HGV resale office in Breckenridge very soon.

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know eventual US tax implications for purchasing in Scotland? Thank you!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Does anyone know eventual US tax implications for purchasing in Scotland? Thank you!

I am not aware of any tax implications tied to owning in Scotland. The biggest concern i would have is the potential for changes in currency exchange rate for my annual maintenance fee. Right now the Scotland properties have a very favorable rate based partially on the Fx. That could change.

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ran into an incredible deal this winter and wanted to pass it on to the members here as the I have enjoyed this board and gained some valuable info from the other members here.

My family and I have been visiting relatives in the UK and while we were here decided to visit the Scottish highlands and stayed at the Craigendarroch suites in Ballater Scotland. While there I purchased not 1, but 2 units from the Craigendarroch lodges. The HGVC there sells resales of their units for their owners. This means I purchased the units from HGVC and so qualify for elite status but only payed resale prices.

I was able to purchase 2 x 9600 point units for 7950 GBP each. With the Hilton registration fees it worked out to about $14000 Cdn each. As per your Maintenance fee/point ratio chart this is one of the better units to own so it was a win/win all around. With my original 5000 pt unit if Vegas, this gives me elite plus status extremely cheap.

John the agent I used is more that happy to mail contracts out and complete at a distance. We actually purchased our second unit when back in England with family. There is a 15 day waiting period after the contract is signed and then you pay for the unit and within a couple of days, voila, the points are in your account.

The only difference that I can see is that by default I automatically get my assigned week in my unit in Scotland unless I call HGVC to tell them I want the points instead. I have already used my points to book a holiday in Hawaii!

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

V

I see that you are mentioning the Craigendarroch LODGES and also the SUITES. What is the difference? You purchased at the lodges then? I saw a review here as well: https://www.dialanexchange.com/customer-reviews.aspx?resortId=710. Do you agree with the comments? Would love your feedback when it comes to the quality of the property, the service, cleanliness, is it "tired"? Thanks so much!

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not aware of any tax implications tied to owning in Scotland. The biggest concern i would have is the potential for changes in currency exchange rate for my annual maintenance fee. Right now the Scotland properties have a very favorable rate based partially on the Fx. That could change.

I see. Thank you. Perhaps due to Brexit that may remain a non-issue for a good many years. Fingers crossed. I can't remember, but did you purchase the lodges or the suites. Not sure what the difference is??

I assume you are in the USA. Do you know what happens to one's ownership if a non-US property fails or is sold? There must be some protection for HGVC owners, I imagine?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see. Thank you. Perhaps due to Brexit that may remain a non-issue for a good many years. Fingers crossed. I can't remember, but did you purchase the lodges or the suites. Not sure what the difference is??

I assume you are in the USA. Do you know what happens to one's ownership if a non-US property fails or is sold? There must be some protection for HGVC owners, I imagine?

Not sure on non-US properties, but the only other two resorts that have left HGVC had their owners still part of the club. Club membership will leave once the present owners sell, but they have access to the club now. Craigendarroach is a certificate of holiday, so I'm not sure what rights members have, but my guess is they would have some sort of protection. HGVC has put a lot of money into the suites so I think those are pretty safe.

I see that you are mentioning the Craigendarroch LODGES and also the SUITES. What is the difference? You purchased at the lodges then? I saw a review here as well: https://www.dialanexchange.com/customer-reviews.aspx?resortId=710. Do you agree with the comments? Would love your feedback when it comes to the quality of the property, the service, cleanliness, is it "tired"? Thanks so much!

I could be wrong here, but I believe that the suites are more like a hotel and the lodges are . . . lodges. It says on the club page that the suites were once an Victorian country house. Here is a site map of the property. My guess is that the Hotel on the map is the suites. I know the lodges are all different and some are more popular than others. Here is a list of some that are for sale (it's pretty old, so I think many of these have already been sold). It's good for seeing the differences between the lodges and what's more popular than others.

Good luck!

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure on non-US properties, but the only other two resorts that have left HGVC had their owners still part of the club. Club membership will leave once the present owners sell, but they have access to the club now. Craigendarroach is a certificate of holiday, so I'm not sure what rights members have, but my guess is they would have some sort of protection. HGVC has put a lot of money into the suites so I think those are pretty safe.

I could be wrong here, but I believe that the suites are more like a hotel and the lodges are . . . lodges. It says on the club page that the suites were once an Victorian country house. Here is a site map of the property. My guess is that the Hotel on the map is the suites. I know the lodges are all different and some are more popular than others. Here is a list of some that are for sale (it's pretty old, so I think many of these have already been sold). It's good for seeing the differences between the lodges and what's more popular than others.

Good luck!

Thank you for you all your input. I really appreciate it. I should also research if Certificate of Holiday means I can use the entire HGVC system. I think the original post had eluded to that. Anyway, thanks again. I will take a look at your links referenced above.