TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Ease of Exchanging a Voluntary Week

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by Adventureisoutthere, May 14, 2018.

1. Adventureisoutthere

Adventureisoutthere TUG Member

I'm considering purchasing my first timeshare purchase via resale and its a voluntary week. I know I'm not able to exchange via staroptions, but I'm wondering what the ease is with exchanging via II (now Marriott, I think). Thanks for any insight.

2. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

In II, a Vistana week has priority in trading into other Vistana resorts over non-Vistana weeks when the Vistana weeks are first deposited into II for 3 weeks or so. You also get discounted trade fees when trading into another Vistana resort, something like $139 vs. $189. Marriott weeks have their own priority period block that allows Marriott to exchange into other Marriott weeks.

The acquisition has not gone through yet, with MCVI targeting for Sep 2018 date. After that they will take a few years to publish new rules.

Ease is a question mark. What are you looking to buy and where do you want to trade into?

3. Adventureisoutthere

[QUOTE="Ease is a question mark. What are you looking to buy and where do you want to trade into?[/QUOTE]

Looking to purchase a Westin Princeville EOY 2/2. We love Kauai so do not have an issue with mainly visiting that location, but would like the option of other locations. The idea of Orlando and/or Kierland would likely be our most visited locations due to family nearby. We would be open to other Vistana locations as available.

When exchanging, I understand I would need to exchange my 2/2 to receive a 2/2 week, but is my week exchanged no matter the value of the other location? I understand the Westin Princeville has a higher staroptions value than Kierland so is my week exchanged equally? Or would I still have "points" available after a similar exchange?

4. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

You are mixing up trading with Vistana and Trading with Interval International.

With Vistana, you use your Staroptions to trade, and you may have Staroptions leftover, depending on what exchange you make. A high season 2 bdm. at Kierland is worth 148,100 Staroptions, and year-round, a 2 bdm. at Princeville is 148,100 Staroptions. You will see a lot more inventory with Vistana than you will with Interval.

With Interval, you can deposit a 2 bdm, and request a 2 bdm. No points/Staroptions are involved. Vistana controls what is deposited in Interval, so most Princeville exchanges are available in the off-season - fall and late spring.

5. Adventureisoutthere

So 1 week is equal to 1 week with Interval. There is no "higher" value location, correct?

6. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

There is trading power in Interval (higher or lower trading value), but they don't designate it with points, so there are no leftover points.

Let's say I own a timeshare at the Alligator Swamp Villas, and I want to trade it for Westin Princeville. Well, common sense tells me that I won't get it, because I am trying to trade-up (wayyyyy up.)

But if I own a Vistana timeshare I have an advantage, because Vistana resorts have priority for other Vistana resorts, so I can trade up. By priority, I mean that Vistana owners have the first choice of other Vistana exchanges, before they are available to non-Vistana owners. For instance, I have traded Sheraton Desert Oasis for Princeville - twice.

Common wisdom is to use a mandatory resort for Staroption trades and a voluntary resort for Interval trades.

There is a lot more inventory in Vistana for trades than is available in Interval - so it's much easier to get a trade in Vistana. But if you are flexible about when you travel, you can get the top resorts with Interval. The 2 times I traded for Princeville, I put in a very open-ended request for the whole year, and took the week that I was offered.

7. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

There have been very few reports of 2 bedroom units at Westin resorts in the last while. Essentially, anything they can lock off they do in II. If your happiness with your purchase will depend on trading into 2 bedrooms in II to Vistana resorts, I wouldn't buy.

8. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    Denise I was wondering if you could rent your Alligator Swamp Villas to me. I’ve always wanted to go and have trouble trading in.

DannyTS likes this.
  9. Adventureisoutthere

Bahahaha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

I'm sorry, the Alligator Swamp Villas is our favorite timeshare and we always use it ourselves:

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 10.09.18 PM.png

VacationPro and controller1 like this.
  11. jhac007

jhac007 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island

Does this unit provide you daily maid service and is there a hot tub out back?

12. Adventureisoutthere

Maintenance fees are probably astronomical, but worth every penny for that hot spot, I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. VaMtnMan

VaMtnMan Guest

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding this. So if I buy a 2Br premium week at Westin Kierland Villas, that has 148,100 points, I can use that to stay 3 weeks a year at Westin Lagunamar in a 1 bedroom lockout(44,000) in Gold Season?

14. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OF (Maui)
    WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
    Yes. The only downside is that you cannot make your reservation until the eight month mark (although that wasn't a problem for weeks 48-50 the couple of times I ran that test).

15. VaMtnMan

VaMtnMan Guest

Thank you, eight months out wouldn't bother us. We like going there in October, which seems to be their off season.