• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC vs Wyndham and Hilton for Floridians

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other things I love about DVC/onsite:

• Extra Magic Hours, particularly at night. We love a good 2:00 or 3:00 am park close. You can get on everything with no wait.
  • I don't have to lug a car seat/booster on the plane or rent one. (Yes, I have small child and stay at the parks until 2:00 am. She's a late night party animal.)
  • I don't have to drive. I deal with traffic and crazy drivers every day. Vacation for me is not having to deal with that nonsense.
  • Walking to or from the parks may not save a ton of time, but it saves my sanity. Taking a leisurely stroll to BCV after Illuminations is my idea of a great way to end the night, with a stop on a bench to eat some caramels from Germany.
  • We've done several member parties, and we've loved all of them. We also stop in the lounge at EPCOT for snacks and drinks when we can. We're lucky enough to be grandfathered in to get the membership benefits, but if we weren't, I would 100% buy the 75 points from Disney to get them. It might not make the most financial sense, but it would make everyone in my family happy, so it would be worth it to me. Just today, my 12 year old told me how much she loves Disney and how it's her happy place. She's too cool for lots of stuff now, but she assures me that she'll never be too cool for Disney.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think what many people are mentioning is the emotional connection and the non-monetary benefits they get from DVC. I think that is very important. Life is not about money and savings. Being a good steward of our blessings is critical but at some point, if we have worked really hard, it is time to splurge without worrying. If that is on DVC, or MVC, or vacations, a home, a car or other things, so be it. You only live once.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think what many people are mentioning is the emotional connection and the non-monetary benefits they get from DVC. I think that is very important. Life is not about money and savings. Being a good steward of our blessings is critical but at some point, if we have worked really hard, it is time to splurge without worrying. If that is on DVC, or MVC, or vacations, a home, a car or other things, so be it. You only live once.
Like, like, like, like, like.....“You only live once”. Live life to your fullest as tomorrow is never guaranteed.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
My husband was asking me if DVC has changed or if it is still 20-30 year ownerships, not lifetime?
It’s always been 60 years.
It is actually 50 year right to use. Resorts expiring in 2042, 2054, 2057, 2060, etc. depending on when they opened. You donot get 50 years from when you purchase points, unless you bought in first year of resort opening. You only get remaining years until the RTU for the resort expires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is actually 50 year right to use. Resorts expiring in 2042, 2054, 2057, 2060, etc. depending on when they opened. You donot get 50 years from when you purchase points, unless you bought in first year of resort opening. You only get remaining years until the RTU for the resort expires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Frank, the resorts following OKW (then just called Disney Vacation Club) kept the same RTU expiration date (BWV, VB, HH, VWL & BCV) of 1/31/42. So they all had a shorter than 50 year term when they started selling. SSR was the first to reset to a new 50 years. Since then all have had a new 50 year term except if you want to count the THV as new since it was added to SSR and thus the same expiration date. OKW has since been extended an extra 15 years but roughly 2/3 of the members gave up the rights to that additional 15 years. The possibility of extensions are a totally new thread that might go on for years.

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
OKW has since been extended an extra 15 years but roughly 2/3 of the members gave up the rights to that additional 15 years. The possibility of extensions are a totally new thread that might go on for years.

This is correct. We became members at the beginning, in 1992.
We were offered the option of extending our membership several years ago, but declined.
We are happy about the 2042 expiration, as we will be very old, if we live that long, and do not want our children to inherit an obligation.
We have had many wonderful DVC vacations over the years - from when our kids were young, and now with our grandchildren. Just finished a one week stay with the whole family, in a grand villa at OKW, last week.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If someone does not want to leave their timeshares to their kids, can’t they just keep it out of the will and not put their children’s name down as a beneficiary? What would happen to the timeshares if it is not left to anyone?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If someone does not want to leave their timeshares to their kids, can’t they just keep it out of the will and not put their children’s name down as a beneficiary? What would happen to the timeshares if it is not left to anyone?
No, the estate would still be responsible for the costs. The executor would have to try to dispose of it or ask the judge to remove it from the estate. Unless there were no assets and everyone just walked away, this would not be possible. What I've been told is that judges tend to be willing to remove it from the estate once a year or more has passed with reasonable attempts at disposing of the timeshare. I'm sure it's case by case though.

EVGUY2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Prospective Owner
I'm jumping in very late in this conversation, but earlier in the thread someone wrote that their Wyndham contract at Bonnet Creek was virtually FREE, and why would they pay for DVC...
I don't understand that, and don't quite agree, I currently have the opportunity to take over a contract from my wife's elderly recently-widowed aunt, virtually free (just transfer the deed), but when I inquired further, there are costs to convert her week to points, those points would not get much at Bonnet Creek, AND there is a compulsory purchase of developers points to the tune of $12K.
I can buy enough points through DVC resale at about $10K to get a week at most of their DVC resorts. And since I already own at DVC, I am familiar, comfortable, and happy with their system.
If I could have picked up the wife's aunt's contract without the mandatory developers points purchase it would have been worth it.
I still don't understand how the previous post was saying Wyndham was virtually free ??

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Election Week in November is also called "Jersey Week" at WDW .... yes, it really is when EVERYONE seems to be from the Garden State of New Jersey.

WHY? The New Jersey Public School system is closed for Election Day on Tuesday .. and then closed again on that week's Thursday & Friday. Kids have no school ... NJ families skip the 2 ophan school days (a Monday and a Wednesday) to take the family to WDW. Been there ... but the only problem is, those Eagles football jerseys and Gaints or Rangers jerseys ... they were being WORN by those teams' New Jersey fans.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
If I could have picked up the wife's aunt's contract without the mandatory developers points purchase it would have been worth it.
I still don't understand how the previous post was saying Wyndham was virtually free ??

Wyndham points on the resale market range from inexpensive (especially in comparison to DVC) to free. Yes, it's much more expensive to convert a fixed Wyndham week to points (going through Wyndham corporate) than it would be simply to give away or return that week to Wyndham, then buy a points contract on the resale market. That's not really the question you asked on your thread about that in the Wyndham forum, so it may not have been clear in our answers.